Abodeon in Cambridge, MA

I couldn’t help but post a glimpse into a local favorite store of mine, Abodeon located in Cambridge, MA (just over the river from Boston for non-locals), owned by Terri and Dale Anderson.

Dale was a master furniture and cabinet maker with a studio in the North End and Terri spent 13 years as the Retail Director at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Abodeon (combination of the words Abode and Beyond) opened in ’98 and has become quite well known in Boston for their mid century finds. After shopping there last weekend, I felt inclined to share this pearl with the locals so you can check it out, too. Owner Terri assured me that you can also trust what you buy at Abodeon to be the real deal, as every vintage item sold is thoroughly researched before hitting the sales floor, with informational signage on every item.

I love this little gem of a store, packed with vintage and new finds, mostly mid century modern, lots of teak and Scandinavian pieces, and tons of great chairs, tables, and lighting. It’s a fun shop, and the location is great because you can walk over to Nomad (great place!) or to Paper Source (another fave of mine). There’s also tons of places to grab coffee or eat in this area, so you can park at a meter outside and spend a few hours in this hood alone. If you’re taking the T, hop on the redline to Porter Square and when exiting the station turn left and look for 1731 Massachusetts Avenue. (store contact: 617.497.0137, abodeon{at}mac{dot}com)

(images from abodeon)

Posted by decor8 in Shop Tours, shopping, travel on April 20, 2007

1. Ms.Crystal commented
    April 20th, 2007 at 2:33pm

I love Nomad and Paper Source…I wish I lived in the city…Open market starts soon and I am so excited.

2. mcaplan commented
    April 20th, 2007 at 2:36pm

This place looks awesome! I wish I was closer!! just gorgeous!

3. Anonymous commented
    April 20th, 2007 at 2:37pm

Great place, I did not realize that this store was in Boston. I know where I will be tomorrow. -Julie

4. J Lee commented
    April 20th, 2007 at 5:05pm

i wish i could check it out in person! looks great.

that’s my dream, to own my own local decor/furnishings boutique.

5. Anonymous commented
    April 20th, 2007 at 5:24pm

also check out The Good Eye in Washington, DC. They have an online store and an EBay store, so you don’t have to be a local.

6. decor8 commented
    April 20th, 2007 at 6:08pm

Thanks anon. I like the good eye but the only major issue I have is that every time I go to that site, things are sold out which doesn’t help me much!!!

7. GC commented
    April 20th, 2007 at 7:20pm

This is the best place for really beautiful stuff I just can’t find anywhere else! I’m always finding just the right something special for gifts. Worth a trip into the city…

8. IsabelB commented
    April 20th, 2007 at 10:58pm

I ADORE cambridge! if only I lived there!!! I actually havent been to nomad I think, which shocks me-i thought id been to every store in cambridge! I MUST GO THERE NOW! some other great ones are beadworks on church street, black ink and museum of useful things (MUT), are also phenomenal, Jasmine Sola is a wonderful but overpriced store in cambridge, and if you want to eat in cambridge, Pinocchio’s Pizza is a must!!!! Its back on a side street away from urban outfitters and the 7-11 and is so authentic-they greet you when you walk with welcome to pinocchios in a deep italian accent and their pizza is the best pizza ive ever had in my enitre life……i live for visiting it when Im in town!! anyway….I sound like a tour guide but I just adore boston. I will be visiting nomad now whenever Im in town, and I hope ya’ll enjoy my reccoomendations. Oh and in belmont outside of boston, theres a wonderful store called thirty petals……

9. Jo Marz commented
    April 21st, 2007 at 2:02pm

Not only are most items in Abodeon little works of art with a functional purpose but you can find items that have sentimental value. I had been searching for a specific design of a Jefferson Clock for over 10 years — only to find it on my first visit to Abodeon! The owners had refurbished it and put it in running order. Not only was it a wonderful find but it was reasonably priced. I adore this store and the care and respect they devote to their offerings and to their customers.