I’m Back from Maine!

We vacationed in Maine this past weekend, stopping in Portland and landing further up the coast in Camden. It was an amazing time well spent. Although Portland is only two hours from home, it’s been years since I visited last. Not much has changed, it’s still as charming as ever, but I did find some great shopping to tell you about in case you ever find yourself in this adorable coastal city.

First stop, I visited Carrie at Angela Adams, then Diane at Ferdinand, and over to the waterfront where I stopped by Edith & Edna, a store I’d been dying to visit for a few months now, and chatted with Julie. It was there that I purchased some great things made by Curious Bird, Blabla, and a large 8″ blue bird vase by Joanna Mendicino. While strolling the waterfront, we grabbed bubble tea at Bubble Maineia (you must visit this place at 136 Commercial Street), and shopped at the massive Company C store located at 123 Commercial Street. Of course, many stops along the way at floral shops, clothing boutiques, and a few antiques stores, and we had to stop for seafood chowder, but finally we called it a day and headed up the coast to Wiscasset, where I stumbled upon Smitten (an amazing gem of a place with modern home goodies) and Rock, Scissor, Paper (a stationery store). Both boutiques are owned by Erika Soule, but I could only peek in the windows because they were closed when we arrived. I would love to meet Erika and shop her stores — so I think I’ll visit again in a few months. I could have emptied my wallet in Smitten, I think Erika and I have the same taste on nearly everything. It was scary looking in the window. It was as if decor8 had been transformed into a storefront. Ah, one can dream…

Of course, a weekend in Maine for us wasn’t all about shopping, we spent a lot of time enjoying the coast, taking pictures, and relaxing. I’ll be back tomorrow to post a few photos from the stores mentioned above. But for now I must go take care of all the mundane post vacation stuff… See you Tuesday!

(images snapped by holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in travel on April 23, 2007

1. jen j-m commented
    April 23rd, 2007 at 4:50pm

both smitten and rock paper scissors are to die for! sorry they was closed when you were there. i live in portland and often try to think up reasons i need to go to wiscasset…

2. modmom commented
    April 23rd, 2007 at 6:27pm

welcome back holly!
    i love the looks of that parker hotel.
    pssst….i just posted a contest for an outfit with shoes on my blog.
    please enter

3. jessica weiser commented
    April 23rd, 2007 at 9:53pm

maine is amazing. we just moved to portland a few months ago and love it. there are so many cute shops!

4. Delaney Gates commented
    April 24th, 2007 at 12:07am

Oh, it’s such a lovely area! The photos you’ve taken are fabulous. I just stumbled upon your blog and love it!

Regards,
    Delaney

5. scrappy girl commented
    April 24th, 2007 at 1:01am

I love your photos–it’s really making me want to visit Maine again. Did you plan to visit stores beforehand or did you just stumble on them. I’m never sure how much research I should do before I go someplace.

6. decor8 commented
    April 24th, 2007 at 1:12am

scrappy – i knew i wanted to hit up edith & edna, ferdinand, and angela adams — but i stumbled on company c, blissen, and the others once i arrived. in the right column of this blog, there are shops i love organized by city which is what i refer to whenever i go away. i developed it because i was sick of having to research everything before trips so i did all the research in advance and created those links. :) our trip this weekend was so last minute, we decided a few hours before we left, so i just clicked around on my links under portland, printed out the addresses and hopped in the car. :) :)

7. kristen commented
    April 24th, 2007 at 1:05pm

hope you had a fabulous time!!!

8. Chelsea commented
    April 24th, 2007 at 5:03pm

Yay! Just what I needed. I will be there in September!

9. Janet commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 3:27pm

Ahhh, my home state! How I miss it! Portland is such a great city, full of yummy restaurants and little stores. Thanks for taking me home for a moment.