Edith & Edna (Portland, Maine)

Another beautiful stop I hit whilst in Portland was Edith & Edna, a new store that stocks only items that are handcrafted by artists, but not just the locals, but from talented designers across the globe, from Morocco to Sweden. Joanna Mendicino, Zid Zid Kids, BlaBla, Alena Hennessy, Curious Bird, Karin Eriksson, and dozens more, they’re all there waiting for you to buy, cherish, love forever. Corny I know, but I feel a sense of excitement when I buy handmade.

I was instantly charmed the moment I approached the store, as the window display was really sweet and stood out amongst the other windows along busy Market Street. I actually purchased a few items directly from the window, I couldn’t resist. When I stepped into the store and browsed the wares, I was happy to see so many things I’d written about on decor8 before, so of course I highly suggest shopping Edith & Edna when you’re in Portland.

This is Julie George-Carlson, one of the owners that I had a chance to chat with (her business partner, Brandie Mayes, wasn’t available). She was packaging my new goodies when I snapped this picture. What a sweet lady she is!

The location is prime, the store is so fresh and inspiring, and after you finish shopping, you can hop across the street to Starbucks to chill out. After Market Street and topping things off with an Edith & Edna experience, my brain started to spark and sizzle a little bit (sensory overload), so I grabbed my fave mocha light frappuccino and looked through my bag of goodies. :) If you aren’t a Starbucks fan, head down to the waterfront for cold bubble tea (love!). I actually did both, because bubble tea is a rare find in New England, it’s more of a west coast thing, I highly suggest it.

I love their business cards, or shall I say, business blooms. Clever idea. Julie gave me this one, it’s crafted from magazine pages. Oh, and thanks Julie for your exceptional service and for allowing me to photograph your beautiful store!

By the way, here’s a glimpse of the general area for the non-locals. It’s so pretty there, great architecture, yummy seafood places, you can truly make a day of it in Portland. And don’t miss the Portland Museum of Art. (Psst: If you are a Currier member like me, you can get in free right now.)

(images by holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, Shop Tours, small business, travel on April 25, 2007

1. karebear commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 6:31pm

I am crazy excited to read this because my friends are in Portland and are always trying to coax me up there. I think this post seals the deal for me. Merci decor8!

2. Anonymous commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 6:32pm

mmmm….bubble tea. yum! i love portland.

3. The Good Doctor commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 6:41pm

Oh! This post caused me to say “I want to go to Maine!” aloud. (My family used to spend summers there and I have such such great memories, but we never got as far north as Portland if my memory serves correctly.)

4. meg commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 6:53pm

yay, edit + edna!
    so glad you dedicated such a nice post to them!

5. Kristi commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 7:07pm

What a beautiful store, I could spend hours as well as a few paychecks there.

6. mindy commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 8:06pm

I lived in Portland for a summer and have some great memories… the people that live there are incredibly friendly and unique. I got to know them all while scooping ice cream at a little place called Q’s (no longer there, but they had amazing homemade ice cream). Portland has lots of great shopping, but these stores must be new because I would definitely remember them. Makes me want to go back a.s.a.p.!

7. erin scissorhands commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 8:21pm

oh my god i would do anything for an apple tray like that! so perfect!

what a cute little shop. i have to travel to the east coast SOOOON.

8. decor8 commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 8:39pm

erin – actually that little apple tray is mine, that photograph was shot in my house today. :) the tray is from my friend in the bay area, a gift. :)

9. ** Terramia ** commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 9:58pm

I am lovin these store tours! They are all giving me a ridiculous case of wanderlust: want to travel, want to travel… want to shop and travel…

10. jen j-m commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 10:03pm

edith and edna is a terrific store with the world’s nicest owners. so glad to see you mention it here.

11. jessica weiser commented
    April 26th, 2007 at 1:00am

awesome to see some great portland stores getting attention :)

12. Courtney commented
    April 26th, 2007 at 1:00am

Have you tried bubble tea at the food court in China Town (Boston)? It’s upstairs on the corner– can’t remember which corner any more, lol. They also have delicious avocado shakes…it was a regular lunchtime stop when I worked at an architecture firm in the financial district.

13. susan commented
    April 26th, 2007 at 1:01am

Thank you for that tour! I felt like I was in the store (I guess I was). The images are great and reveal a happy, soulful, place, that really seems to shine through. I think it’s a place that can put nearly anyone in a good mood, and that’s a nice thing!

14. Marisa and Creative Thursday commented
    April 26th, 2007 at 1:56am

Oh, what a beautiful store. I am thinking I would love everything there! Thanks for sharing Portland with us. I’m ready to travel there too!

15. Patty commented
    April 26th, 2007 at 9:36am

Of all the stores in all the world … you picked an excellent one to stop by! Edith & Edna is SUCH a great place. So glad you found it and shared it.

16. Sarah commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 3:20am

Great post! I love Portland {and reading about it on other’s blogs!} I am originally from Portland, now livng in Providence. Next time I am up there I have to go to this store!

17. Julie commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 5:53pm

Holly, it was SO NICE to meet you when you visited Edith & Edna. We are thrilled to be included in your column and hope that all the people who commented will make it into our shop some day. THANK YOU so much for visiting. The photos you took were really amazing!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks