Apartment Therapy: Small Cool 2007

Big pimpin’ over at Apartment Therapy today. Are you staying on top of the AT Small Cool contest? I check in daily to see who is on the chopping block, and today, it’s Ron M. of NYC in his tiny 300 sq ft studio. It’s tricked out, fo shizzle! :)

My vote is on Ron, and I’m not even into chocolate brown, but this place really inspired me because it’s one swank man den. You can tell a man lives here based on the color palette and patterns, but there’s not a lick of plaid, black, steel, FHM posters, Xbox, or action figures in sight. And no futon! I know I have male readers, so excuse me for saying that, but whenever I’ve helped a guy decorate his pad, I had to spend hours trying to decide where to position the massive amounts of toys, games, CDs, DVDs, plasma televisions, stereos, and the sea of black cables. So please tell me what you think of Ron’s place. I’d love to get your thoughts. And where are Ron’s wires?

The touch of yellow, the use of turquoise, the foo dogs on his desk, it’s grand, don’t you think? He was clever to use a chair with more of an open back, as it gives the illusion of having more space, same goes with the clear acrylic coffee tables. The rug separates the living space from the sleep zone, another intelligent choice. And he clearly has a love of lighting, because I see about 7 table lights, 2 ceiling fixtures, and a floor lamp = 10 light sources in one room. We can learn a lot from a man like Ron, because most homes I enter have about 2 light sources per room and then they wonder why one sock is black and the other is brown. Ron was also clever to use mirrors to give a sense of space and to bounce the natural light around the room.

Do you have any Small Cool favorites this year?

[Update: I found out that this man IS in an interior designer and has detailed views of his apartment above right here on his website. Drool fest!]

(images from at)

Posted by decor8 in contests, inspiration on April 27, 2007

1. ** Terramia ** commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 11:40pm

Oh moi aussi! C’est tr?s chic, oui?
    Je l’aime… very oh la la!
    It makes me want to speak with an accent, yes…

2. ade commented
    April 28th, 2007 at 4:21am

some of my male friends have nicely decor8d apartments, but none of them intimidated me like this one. it doesn’t surprise me that he is an interior designer. his apartment is very well put together. but somehow i feel like it needs that personal, lived in touch to it. perhaps a sleek looking Wii console will do, as opposed to the monstrosity of an Xbox.

3. Kirsten commented
    April 28th, 2007 at 12:21pm

“You can tell a man lives here based on the color palette”.
    I’m a female and this color palette totally appeals to me. Actually, it is pretty close to the palette I use in my home.

4. J Lee commented
    April 28th, 2007 at 2:01pm

i saw the episode of “small spaces, big style” where this apartment was aired. it’s quite a handsome space. i was very impressed.

5. LauraB commented
    April 28th, 2007 at 2:37pm

This was the best entry by far. Was anyone else a little disappointed with the entries this year? I just didn’t see anything all that inspiring…could’ve just been me though. That’s why this one is like 10xs the “WOW!”

6. Anonymous commented
    April 28th, 2007 at 3:02pm

I’m with you, my bets are on this one!

7. tracy m commented
    April 28th, 2007 at 4:28pm

I love love love his style! And I’m a girl…

8. becky commented
    April 29th, 2007 at 5:08pm

Cracking up at your description of bachelor pads. I’m always trying to get them to get rid of the black leather sofa (I’m not talking a Mies Barcelona sofa, but rather that big squnchy (sp?) heinous sectional). Oh, and the side tables fashioned from old kegs. I do think the ’70′s Farrah Fawcett in the red bikini poster could be funny addition to a swank bachelor pad with a sense of humor.

Becky

9. katieonashstreet commented
    April 30th, 2007 at 12:00am

Love it. My favorite part are those yellow lamps. I’ve been looking for a pair to go on my bedside tables, and I can’t find any anywhere! Does anyone have a clue where I could get some fun yellow lamps like this?

10. decor8 commented
    April 30th, 2007 at 12:10am

kateionash: try ebay. search under ‘hollywood regency’ and see what you can find. if you want something brand new, try these:

horchow.com
    shineeveryday.com

11. melinda commented
    April 30th, 2007 at 2:56am

This was definitely my fave entry so far in the Smallest, Coolest contest, although I’m holding out that there will still be an entry to totally blow me away.
    I’m not sure I understand why this is being pegged as a man’s place. Aren’t we past the whole boy = blue, girl = pink mentality? Frankly, I’m sick to death of the cliche pink and pale blue shabby chic plus Mid-century modern that so many bloggers are worshiping.
    This entry is c-l-a-s-s-y. There is nothing shabby here, nothing trite and nothing tired. It’s gorgeous.

12. decor8 commented
    April 30th, 2007 at 4:44am

melinda, yes it is classy, i clearly stated that my vote was on his space meaning i want him to win because i love it so much. did you not read the entire post? you sound a bit upset, please, there’s no need. this is a casual, fun blog where i post only things i love that inspire me.
    best,
    holly

13. Erin commented
    April 30th, 2007 at 3:49pm

This is such an impressive space! Great colors, great layout and use of space…very well done. I love this!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks