Ferdinand (Portland, Maine)

Another gem of a store in Portland, Maine that I visited last Saturday was Ferdinand, co-owned by designer Diane Toepfer. The moment I walked in and spotted tons of cram cream tape and Japanese goodies, I knew I’d thoroughly enjoy the experience, but wait, it gets better.

I had a chance to meet with Diane, watched her do a little screenprinting (she gave me one of the zebra designs she was busy working on), and spent some time making small talk with her. I guess I’m a nerd, but I cherish these intimate exchanges with shop owners, it means a lot to me when they take a moment to explain a process or give a tour. It was really relaxing and nice hangin’ with Diane. She’s totally chill and so is her store. I wasn’t surprised to find out she and her hubby relocated to Maine a few years ago from the west coast.

Here she is working on her zebra cards. It was cool when she told me that her husband reads decor8, as I’m always excited when I go to random stores and someone there has heard of my blog. I’m sure other bloggers can relate, it’s really exciting! Blogging is amazing, it links so many of us together, it’s truly inspiring, don’t you think? Anyway, Ferdinand is a large store, packed with everything from cram cream tape to pins and jewelry, tees, cards, pillows, pottery, and lots of adorable owls made of natural materials, like bark. I highly suggest visiting and spending some time with Diane yourself.

I could have easily purchased every single one. I love how she arranged them on a bright aqua wall. Check out the baby bibs on the second shelf below from Japan. Can you stand it?!? Cute!

Sorry, no close up product shots. I need to work on my photography skills, I know. But I’m trying and hopefully, you’ll see me improve over time. :)

Here’s a few of Diane’s latest designs above. You can buy these online. Do you like my zebra below? I put him in the living room for the time being. I love that Diane signed it, and adore the raw edges. I have to get him in a frame…

When you’re in Portland, mark down Ferndinand as a must-see shop. They are open Wednesday-Saturday from 11-6, and are located at 243 Congress Street, not far from Angela Adams, so you can hit both stores.

And there’s good news for those not heading into Maine anytime soon… You can shop some of Ferdinand’s wares online.

Thanks Diane for taking time with me, it was so nice to meet you.

(images from holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Shop Tours, stationery, travel on April 27, 2007

1. Carlene commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 11:40am

I wish I could visit that shop, it looks amazing! I bought my husband one of her squirrel drummer shirts, he loves it to death.

2. kate commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 1:10pm

Boy, that last vase (penguin?) is adorable. It cracks me up for some reason.

Did you get the email I sent you about Argentina? It was a week or two ago–I just found out some of my emails have been going astray.

3. Mandy commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 2:45pm

What a fun site! I’ve bookmarked it for future shopping ideas :)

4. Eve commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 2:56pm

after reading all your posts on Portland Maine.. I want to atleast visit it if not move.. How lucky these are people are who could move from west coast to east and set up their own store and run it successfully..
    Eve

5. Kristi commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 3:21pm

I am so jealous looks like you had a great time.

6. decor8 commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 4:20pm

kate, yes i did! it was great. i thought i replied though? didn’t i tell you about the mixed media art class i’m taking this summer in manchester, and invited you? hmmm. let me check my outbox.

7. kate commented
    April 27th, 2007 at 7:59pm

Ooh, no, I didn’t get a reply. That class sounds interesting–I’d love details, though we’re moving to Boston in late June… V. exciting; I’m already getting distracted from food on my blog and instead posting photos of the ornate fireplace liner, etc.

8. sarah_chicago commented
    April 28th, 2007 at 10:04pm

Where is that silver horse from? I have to have it, it’s so shiny!

Sarah

9. Jenna commented
    April 29th, 2007 at 12:57am

wow i live about 10 minutes away from portland, maine and i’ve never been there… i should go though!

10. Anonymous commented
    June 16th, 2007 at 10:56pm

That’s a Jonathan Adler ornament!