Shop Tours, Travel

Layla (Brooklyn, NY)

April 27, 2007

Have I been living beneath a rock, because I missed this place along my travels, and not to sound snobby, but as any shopaholic knows, we cover our territory (regional). Layla is amazing, and I discovered it today thanks to Domino online.

Layla (Brooklyn, NY)
I did a little research and found out that owner, Alayne Patrick, plays curator in this vibrant Indian boutique and from these images, she blends both modern and traditional Indian patterns and prints that dazzle. In addition to bedding and clothing, she also carries a selection of both new and antique jewelry. Has anyone shopped Layla? What’s it like (price, quality, selection)? Where in Brooklyn is it? And lastly, is there a website because I’m not finding a link anywhere…

Aren’t these colors inspiring though?

Layla (Brooklyn, NY)

(images from domino)

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

• Reply Jennifer Ramos April 27, 2007 at 10:08 pm

Dont you just LOVE new york shops?
    I grew up there and till this day haven’t visited them all.
    there are so many great ones.

• Reply k. cooper April 27, 2007 at 10:27 pm

i’ve been there. its across the street from lotta jansdotter’s studio…just off atlantic avenue. really nice place…not sure how long its been there. the neighborhood is boerum hill.

• Reply decor8 April 27, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Jennifer,
    When you were in NY selling your tables, did you find anyone there to stock them? How was your experience with the shop owners there?

Holly

• Reply decor8 April 27, 2007 at 10:39 pm

K cooper – never been to boerum hill. I’ve actually only been to dumbo, brooklyn heights, and bed stuy. i’m not that familiar with brooklyn at all. when i visit nyc, i’m always in manhattan or in brooklyn heights because my friends live there. i have to get out!

and lotta jansdotter has a retail storefront there now? i didn’t know that either. i knew she relocated to brooklyn from san fran last year, but hadn’t heard about a storefront. is is great or what?

• Reply jamie April 27, 2007 at 11:41 pm

that last pic makes me swoon….such vibrant, brilliant colours…*sigh* come on Summer!

xo

• Reply BK April 27, 2007 at 11:59 pm

Boreum Hill is not far from Brooklyn Heights-walking distance actually depending on your location in Brooklyn Heights. Lots of nice design and fashion boutique stores in that area.

• Reply Rachel April 28, 2007 at 3:24 am

according to my sources in trend forecasting, color inspiration from India is just going to get bigger and bigger. So far, it feels like they’ve slipped under the radar, or been pigeon-holed in the “ethnic” category. evidently, this will all change in the next couple of years. sounds good to me, i love India’s color sensibilities

• Reply scrappy girl April 28, 2007 at 11:59 am

Hi everyone–
    The website was supposed to be up this week, but it’s just a splash page…

The store itself is gorgeous.

• Reply SK April 28, 2007 at 1:31 pm

It’s lovely to find stores that sell linen and fabric from India. Makes me think of trips to fabric stores with my mum when I was little (never bought our clothes, my mum used to get them made by a local tailor, which was what everyone did back then in India!).

Decor8, I love your blog. I lurk often, not sure I’ve ever commented so far.

• Reply Kate F. April 28, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Aw, I lived two blocks down Hoyt from Layla for three years. I used to walk past and stare in the windows but I never went in. Boerum Hill is awesome, and you have got to go to that area next time you’re in NY. Atlantic Ave. is the historic antiques row in Brooklyn (my mother-in-law used to go with girlfriends in the 60s), and there are old-school as well as super hip shops along about a 6 block strip. Down Court St. and Smith St (Smith is still developing) there are tons of cool boutiques and restaurants. I miss brunch in Boerum Hill!

I think Design*Sponge did a Brooklyn shopping guide, btw, though if I remember correctly she focused a lot of her energy on Williamsburg.

• Reply Anonymous April 28, 2007 at 9:22 pm

Due to this blog, I walked over to the store today! I live relatively nearby and it seemed like a good excuse for a nice stroll. Most of the stuff is beautiful, although a bit cost-prohibitive. I stocked up on several of the lovely glass bracelets, which for $3 / each were an absolute steal. Thanks for the heads up.

• Reply S. April 28, 2007 at 11:06 pm

I live directly ’round the corner from Layla. It’s a tiny shop, but looks very cool. Not sure any Lotta Jansdotter on that block. I’ve never seen it.

Take the A train to Hoyt/Schermerhorn, exit turnstyle and station going left, cross 2x at the intersect., walk down Hoyt St. (crossing State St) and Layla is btw State and Atlantic. Then hustle around Atlantic for the antiques (don’t miss Home & Abroad and Maleeka).

• Reply joy April 29, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Holly, Layla is great. I used to go there all the time when I lived in Brooklyn. Did you see the story in the new Domino on the owner’s home? It’s gorgeous. website is: layla-bklyn.com

-joy

• Reply Le Chai May 1, 2007 at 9:56 pm

the pieces looks like my mother’s-in-law’s collection of jewels from India.