Artsy Walls: Creative Inspiration from Kerry

decor8 reader Kerry Pitt-Hart would like to share her artsy walls with us. She put so much thought into her submission, and with the various colors and techniques she used on her walls, I know that you’ll find her space creative and motivating — maybe to get started on your own walls? Here’s what Kerry has to say about her space. Please read her comments because they really help the images come alive. Trust me, you’ll see…

“Ever since staying in the Historic Building at The Westin St. Francis in San Francisco several years ago, I’ve wanted to add wood paneling to a wall as a reminder of the wonderful room we stayed in. Even though we live in a rented flat, we decided to finally do it. After a lot of measuring, cutting, sanding, and painting, we finished a wall that before was blank and cold. I’m so happy with it, and wish I could take it with me when we leave. We’ll just have to do it all over again I suppose, but this time, we’ll know what we’re doing.”

“I also included a room that I painted in a bright coral orange. It’s such a bold color that I wanted to try it in a tiny space first. Depending on the light, especially the light from a lamp, the walls glow like a sunset. I chose this color to remind us of our niece who passed away earlier this year. Her favorite color was orange.”

“The colors and patterns I used in the living room were chosen based on a painting my husband did, the one in the center with the blue bird perched on a tree. I wasn’t planning this, but instinctively, it just happened. When we first moved in, with boxed piled everywhere, I hung it on the wall to make the place seem more like home, and to cover up a huge screw and a bright blue anchor! I never took it down. The chandelier in the foreground was a paint-splattered, rusty brass mess that I tried to revive, but couldn’t. So I shrouded it in some silk. When turned on (it has a dimmer!) the glass shades glow like fireflies. Most of the pillows and the slipcover were ones I made. The red, diamond-patterned one on the chair was an old Diane von Furstenberg dress that I took to be altered. The tailor ended up making it too small, so rather than tossing it, I made it into a pillow.”

“I also included one of the walls in my studio. The “coraled” branch is one I found on a walk one morning. I painted it in this vibrant Chinese Red. The little shelf has an ever-changing display of papers, clippings, shells, seeds and anything else that inspires me.”

“This stenciled wall is the Piece de resistance. It took forever! Though I suppose it should have since the wall is some 6 x 8′. The stencil itself is 2′ square, and the paint is a metallic rosey-lilac color. Even though it seemed like it would never be over, I ordered some more stencils from The Stencil Library, and once I’ve cut them out (you save money if you buy the uncut version), I’ll be at it again, though I seem to be running out of wall space.”

“Then there is this mural I’m working on. There is a tiny space that is only 4 x 4′ off a room at the front of the house. Too small for seating or a table, I decided to decorate the walls. This is something I began back in June, and haven’t gotten around to finishing quite yet, since I have 100 other things on my ever-growing list of things to do. It’s a work in progress, but the bird silhouettes are made of fabric, and the Art Deco-like trees were done freehand in glitter and paint. I intend to add more flowers and further define the branches, and perhaps add a butterfly or two. :) Thanks Holly. I’ll continue to enjoy what you do and be inspired.” – Kerry Pitt-Hart

Thank YOU Kerry. I applaud your use of stencils, and that you refer to The Stencil Library, a resource I also use because they carry the best selection. Stencils are an affordable alternative to wallpaper and can be just as beautiful. For those that rent, it’s a lot easier to stencil and repaint when you move vs. convincing your landlord to allow wallpaper, so stencils are a smart renters option. Although you may fall in love with your work, and sadly, once it’s on the walls, you can’t take it with you! In addition to Kerry and her beautiful stencil work, I think Maine-based design duo Wary Meyers demonstrates that stencils can be hip and very now. DIY molding, and hand painted motifs on walls can be chic too, and looking at all the custom work they do for their clients (see examples below), it’s easy to see that a good designer doesn’t limit themselves to a few techniques, but explores several. Thanks again, Kerry!

Wary Meyers stencil – amazing!

Wary Meyers

Wary Meyers stencil work

Wary Meyers stencil work – close up

(images from kerry pitt-hart and wary meyers)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, inspiration, walls on April 28, 2007

1. louise commented
    April 28th, 2007 at 6:28pm

Love the crystal mobile in the third Wary Meyers story! Need it badly! Wonder if it’s a one of a kind?

Excellent post BTW!

2. sarah_chicago commented
    April 28th, 2007 at 10:02pm

Kerry,

Great display of artistic talent. Posts like these invigorate me. Great pictures, I agree with Louise.

Sarah

3. Jennifer Ramos commented
    April 29th, 2007 at 1:01am

the stencil work is impressive…im doing quite a few things with stencils now. Am even making the stencils myself…will have to show you all when im done.

thanks Holly!

4. kayte commented
    April 29th, 2007 at 5:45am

the silk-shrouded chandelier is a great idea.

i love the warymeyers look. i like that it can look a little old and disheveled. it’s always interesting to me when people with money are into it though. i always think of it as a style that evolves from having to make do with what you have. not that there’s anything wrong with that; it’s the best kind of style in my opinion.

5. becky commented
    April 29th, 2007 at 4:58pm

Wow! Doesn’t it look like an anthropologie catalog (staging that I always love!). I’m so impressed w/ Kerry – thanks for sharing!

Becky

6. Anonymous commented
    April 29th, 2007 at 10:41pm

kerry did a great job on that stencil. how did you do that, did you have to keep taping it to the wall and moving it around? did you use a special brush (is that called stipple or something)? please share your tips with us kerry, you made me rethink my walls because i was due to buy wallpaper.

7. Alicia P. commented
    April 30th, 2007 at 3:17am

Beautiful post!

8. jamie commented
    April 30th, 2007 at 3:20pm

i really like the stencil work! cute lil kitties <3

xo

9. Janet commented
    May 2nd, 2007 at 12:47am

I love Kerry’s home ~ so creative and delicate. It has a lovely spirit.

10. Merci-Notes commented
    May 4th, 2007 at 3:12pm

Everything is breathtaking! thank you for all your posts!
    With Kindness,
    mary

11. Kerry commented
    May 10th, 2007 at 6:06pm

anon,

Yes, I taped it to the wall and just kept moving it along. The brush I used was a basic stencil brush that you can find at any craft/art store. I quickly learned that you have to rub the brush in a circular motion on a paper towel until the brush barely has any paint left…and you may feel like you’re wasting it all, but this produces the best result.

Holly, thanks again for the post…and thanks to everyone for their lovely comments.

Kerry