DIY, Inspiration, Rooms

decor8 Reader Kitchen Transformation

April 30, 2007

This is what I live for. At least from a career perspective. I seldom post entire letters from readers, but this one from Niki C. absolutely made my day. I have to share it with you.

decor8 Reader Kitchen Transformation
“Hi Holly! I’ve been reading your website for over a year now – check it every day and have turned countless friends to your site as well. I am a hurricane Katrina survivor and moved up to Pennsylvania after the storm – no flood zone – my husband and I bought our first home this past September. Your daily postings served as inspiration for me to decorate and design the way I like — but not the bland suburban way that would guarantee a resale value (all that beige and stone color, blech!). The first room we renovated was the tiny bathroom; we went with bright yellow and loved it so much that it gave us the confidence to take on the kitchen with boldness too.

before and after

decor8 Reader Kitchen Transformation
Since your aesthetic and daily musings served for such a constant source of inspiration and encouragement to be bold – I wanted to share with you the photos from my kitchen renovation. The lights aren’t worked out yet and there are still little things that aren’t finished, but I just felt like sharing it with you because you were a part of it to me. :) Thank you for decor8 and your vision.” :) -Niki

before and after

decor8 Reader Kitchen Transformation
Thank you so much Niki, very impressive work that I’m sure everyone reading here today will enjoy. We all know how hard a DIY renovation can be, especially a kitchen, so we applaud your amazing transformation. That candy apple kitchen is gorgeous, I would cook in there day and night! Readers, you can view all of her before and after photos here on flickr. Thank you for sharing it with us.

decor8 Reader Kitchen TransformationFor all the other design/creative bloggers out there that have long time lurkers (like Niki) reading YOUR blog, remember this: You may have no clue how your words are helping others to make positive changes. So stay with it. Keep sharing your voice. There’s room for all of us.

(images from niki crosby)

You Might Also Like

• Reply erin April 30, 2007 at 6:24 pm

wow, amazing renovation! i can’t wait until we have a house to tear apart and make our own.

• Reply Erin T April 30, 2007 at 6:46 pm

Niki, Thanks for sharing your renovation pictures – it looks like it is coming along beautifully! I’m so sorry that you were hit by Katrina when you lived in Louisiana but very glad for you that your story has a happy ending :)

• Reply Jess April 30, 2007 at 6:48 pm

It’s gorgeous! I love it.

• Reply Bex April 30, 2007 at 7:18 pm

• Reply michelle April 30, 2007 at 7:21 pm

Oh it is really beautiful! How wonderful that her sad story turned out so happy and so beautiful! I am so glad that she shared her pictures and her story!

• Reply munckee April 30, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Great transformation! And great choice of cabinets!

• Reply J April 30, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Niki, it is gorgeous! It belongs on the pages of a magazine. Good work!

• Reply Anonymous April 30, 2007 at 8:03 pm

Wow! What a gorgeous kitchen – you should pat yourselves on your backs. Really really really beautiful job.

• Reply susan April 30, 2007 at 8:14 pm

There is life in this kitchen! It is enthusiastic, it has strength, it has fun, and it has guts. Good for you! It’s fantastic.

• Reply Betty C. Bowen April 30, 2007 at 9:32 pm

The original kitchen layout is so similar to mine, the one I’m re-doing that is, so it is really helpful to see …like how you worked a dishwasher into it. Thanks! It looks really really great, I hope you love it for years and years.

• Reply Betty April 30, 2007 at 9:34 pm

Your layout is so similar to the kitchen I’m re-doing, it was great to see how you worked the dishwasher in, thanks. The whole thing is gorgeous, I hope you love it for years and years to come.

• Reply jen May 1, 2007 at 12:15 am

Beautiful! We just gutted our kitchen last week – it’s so nice to see there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

• Reply Anonymous May 1, 2007 at 4:00 am

wow. congrats to you, niki! it is really just fab. follow that eye! you have a knack. i love the splash of turquoise.

• Reply drey May 1, 2007 at 11:44 am

wow i absolutely love this kitchen. it’s like you took THE kitchen from my mind and reproduced it in the most perfect way!!!! wow. now i want a home more than ANYTHING!

• Reply Rachel May 1, 2007 at 3:38 pm

ah, shiny red-lacquered cabinets…just lovely. i commend your bravery in designing with colors that are personal, and will make you happy. too often, i have clients who are all-consumed with resale value, and stick with “safe”, no-personality neutrals. and they don’t even know how long they’ll live there! it’s great to see people taking chances with color-look how successful the outcome is!

• Reply Laura May 1, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Just stunning. I absolutely love it.

• Reply Elaine May 1, 2007 at 6:15 pm

In the end, this decor will give you the better suburban resale value. Thankfully, for your daily enjoyment, you did it your way. You have nice taste. I can’t even imagine decorating for ‘resale value.’

• Reply design hole May 2, 2007 at 8:58 pm

That’s a really wonderful pat on the back for you. You kept someone moving forward through a tough time! Congratulations to Niki and Decor 8!

• Reply sandman_gr May 3, 2007 at 11:30 am

Nikki you did a great job! Bravo.
    Holly, regarding your comment about us creative types who blog, thanks- it means a lot. I wish I had the amount of comments you do on your posts but I’m happy with the people I have met through my blog and keep on meeting!

• Reply ade May 3, 2007 at 8:31 pm

wow i never imagined red or glossy red in a kitchen, but this may have convinced me otherwise. very nice renovation indeed!

• Reply Anonymous May 7, 2007 at 5:21 am

I liked it before. It looked cute and had a home personality. The new kitchen looks too much like a shiny car. But each to his own.