Arts + Crafts, Etsy Faves, Objects

Bombus: Decoupage Art (UK)

May 3, 2007

The coolness that exists these days on etsy is sheer bliss. Take this decoupage art by UK artists, Amelia Coward and Lee Hunnisett De Beer of Bombus, which means “busy bee”.

Bombus: Decoupage Art (UK)
Appearing in the Telegraph and the London Times, this design duo uses vintage maps, hand-printed linen, and comics to cover chairs, tables, bowls, books, teapots… You name it, they can cover it. And Amelia has her own etsy store, where she’ll customize something just for you. After peeking at their work, I had to blog it because it’s pretty cool and I think some of the chairs would be a fun mix around a tulip table or wood farmhouse table, give the dining room a little character… Amelia and Lee also have a website where you can view more of their products. Thanks Amelia for writing in, great work!

(images from bombus)

You Might Also Like

• Reply ma vie en rose May 3, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Wow, very cool find. I just love that teapot!

• Reply scrappy girl May 3, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Everyone makes this stuff look so easy, but my guess is that it’s not. Has anyone tried it?

• Reply jotter May 4, 2007 at 3:09 am

These are great! I want, I want, I want…

• Reply ma vie en rose May 4, 2007 at 5:14 pm

I actually have…I did a decoupage container that I used for holding jewelry. The tough part was really finding cutouts that I liked and arranging them in a visually pleasing manner…the technique itself isn’t that tough. But for big pieces like furniture I would imagine it is pretty time consuming.

• Reply Betty C. Bowen May 6, 2007 at 3:18 pm

These look amazing. My middle school art students love to do this, but of course, hand printed linen and vintage maps and actual furniture, well, that’s completely gorgeous.

scrappy girl, we (at middle school) use Vanos liquid laundry starch and various thin papers, like Joss paper from the Vietnamese grocery (and free) vietnamese newspapers, or pretty gift-wrap tissues (the antique map tissue is a favorite) Then Acrylic medium for varnish. Everything we do is non-toxic of course.

• Reply Anonymous May 6, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Yes, I work in decoupage. Which really is the art of cutting and applying paper to furniture, glass, walls, mirrors etc. etc. anything that can hold glue. However the art of the work is mostly in the fine cutting of images to be so used. As done on these objects, while still cut paper. . . the work is much easier to execute because the images are not individually cut out but rather applied in a sheet format. Still well worth doing and attractive results but not a real art form!

• Reply Anonymous May 7, 2007 at 7:11 am

Kitsch… definitely.

• Reply Selenarte June 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm

That’s great. I thought nobody does decoupage in UK. Thank you for this find and your lovely site filled with amazing decor.