Urban Outfitters Offices in Philadelphia

You never know who is reading your blog… The other day, I wrote about A Stitch in Time, an informative image packed article in the May issue of Metropolis magazine featuring the Urban Outfitters corporate campus. To my delight, the architect and design team on that project, Meyer Scherer & Rockcastle, Ltd, contacted me offering images to show decor8 readers. Located in Philadelphia’s navy yard in 5 historic industrial buildings, this office space is exquisite. With that being said, enjoy the tour below. For more images, click here to view a mini slide show I’ve created.

Haven’t we all had dreams of working amidst larger than life balls of yarn, sitting in beautiful chairs, and passing by a wall loaded with buttons?

This is a super creative environment where I think anyone could blossom, look at this place! You’ll have to excuse me, it’s just that I get excited about office space, as it was a huge part of my former life managing facilities and working on space redesigns and I often think about it in my sleep, still. But wow, look at this space, not only are the buildings spectacular, but I love the overall flow and how spacious it feels, it’s like a city within a city. I also like how they’ve carved out all of these creative spaces where groups can congregate to chat and that the work areas are clustered together with low wall cubicles or no wall at all. It gives one a sense of belonging to a group, a team, vs. being stuffed into high wall cubicles and isolated from those you’re working with.

For me, the greatest lure is that an old, abandoned property was transformed and reused for a new purpose instead of either sitting there and slowly falling apart or worse, bulldozed. Urban Outfitters brought new life into an otherwise dead navy yard. It’s so important to reinvent a space intended for a different purpose in a new, creative way. Firehouses and old schools are now condos in many neighborhoods as are houses of worship. It’s such a smart way to go. And, as these pictures show, no one had to sacrifice because it’s much more impressive because of its bones and history.

Thank you Ligeia for the images! For more views of this space, click here to view a mini slide show.

(images from MS&R. photography by lara swimmer.)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration, shopping, workspace on May 17, 2007

1. Lana Bear commented
    May 11th, 2007 at 7:54pm

I work at the home office, and I can definitely confirm that note, my monday mornings are never bad here! We’ve only been on this campus for a little under a year, and its amazing!! Thanks for the shout out..

2. kayte commented
    May 11th, 2007 at 8:31pm

oooh i’ll have to pick that issue up!
    i tok a tour of the space right after they bought it during one of our meetings but it was still basically a big shel of a space. it’s cool to see what they did with it.this

3. Betty C. Bowen commented
    May 11th, 2007 at 11:33pm

I thought the buttons were a Klimt-like painting!

4. katiedid commented
    May 12th, 2007 at 12:25am

Being a huge Anthropologie fan and a designer of commercial as well as residential spaces, I’m loving the chance to see the inner workings. Sooo great!

5. Melissa commented
    May 12th, 2007 at 1:16am

Ugh, I’d kill to work there. I applied a while ago, but they are WAY out of my league! :) I’m going to have to pick up this issue so I can drool all over it.

6. kimberlite8 commented
    May 12th, 2007 at 6:47pm

Holly – check out the multimedia display on UO’s annual report (no joking!). There are great pictures of the company headquarters and interviews with the creative people that work for UO and Anthropologie. http://www.urbanoutfittersinc.com/annualreview/index.html

7. joy commented
    May 14th, 2007 at 6:30pm

there space IS amazing! i’ve been there a couple times myself – def. the best creative office i’ve seen! very cool cafeteria too..and the annual review site is great!
    -joy

8. Jen commented
    May 14th, 2007 at 8:39pm

If only my house were that cool…let alone my work place.

Another magazine to add to my long list of titles to check out as well.

9. mushroomgarden commented
    May 18th, 2007 at 4:20am

This is soooo cool. I am drooling. so jealous!

10. danielle commented
    May 18th, 2007 at 8:06am

This office space is the most gorgeous I even ever seen. I LOVE it! It much be great working here.. Old buildings have much more character than newly build spaces, I think. By the way, I love Urban Outfitters. During by California trip I visited several stores (and bought some cute clothing). They have some great home accessories. Unfortunately they don’t have a store in The Netherlands. Thanks for showing these photos Holly!

11. Anonymous commented
    May 18th, 2007 at 9:44am

What an awesome work space, it would be a pleasure to get up every morning!!
    I am re-designing an office space this summer, it’s my Aunts office, she’s been through an ugly divorce, and is feeling low, I’m going to do a “surprise redesign” while she is away one weekend. (Her close co-worker is in on it) She so deserves a pretty place to spend 9-10 hours of her day in!! Thanks for that beautiful post Holly!!
    ~Angie~

12. sue commented
    May 18th, 2007 at 11:29am

what a fab. work place..!
    it’s just perfect.
    those balls of yarn – unreal.

13. IMEDAGOZE commented
    May 18th, 2007 at 2:02pm

Gosh, I’d loooove to work in an office space like THAT!!

14. Tiffany commented
    May 18th, 2007 at 3:59pm

What a great corporate space! Very inspiring. Thanks for the behind the scenes peak!

15. Jennifer Ramos commented
    May 19th, 2007 at 1:17am

i LOVE the office spaces, no wonder they are so creative, the environment always HELPS!!

16. tara commented
    May 21st, 2007 at 5:29am

mmm. I work at urban outfitters, so it’s neat to see where all the magic happens!

17. decor8 commented
    May 22nd, 2007 at 4:44am

I’m glad you guys liked this space, I agree with all of you, it’s really something special and your environment really has a lot to do with how you feel at work.

18. --> WHIT <-- commented
    July 31st, 2007 at 12:32am

I happened across this posting, and I just want to say that I love it!! I’m in college right now for Interior Design and I find the fact that something this cool looking is used as an office space. It’s very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!! :)

19. diane commented
    July 9th, 2008 at 6:35pm

great article!! i love this project! i knew the landscaping (http://hibou-caillou-chou.over-blog.com/article-20369548-6.html), but i didn’t know the building’s renovation!
    thanks for the beautiful pictures!

20. ventura office space commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 1:26pm

that is seriously the most amazing office i have ever seen, i owuld love to work in an office space like that!
    Gorgeous interior design.