Inspiration, Rooms, Shopping + Products

Urban Outfitters Offices in Philadelphia

May 17, 2007

You never know who is reading your blog… The other day, I wrote about A Stitch in Time, an informative image packed article in the May issue of Metropolis magazine featuring the Urban Outfitters corporate campus. To my delight, the architect and design team on that project, Meyer Scherer & Rockcastle, Ltd, contacted me offering images to show decor8 readers. Located in Philadelphia’s navy yard in 5 historic industrial buildings, this office space is exquisite. With that being said, enjoy the tour below. For more images, click here to view a mini slide show I’ve created.

Urban Outfitters Offices in Philadelphia Haven’t we all had dreams of working amidst larger than life balls of yarn, sitting in beautiful chairs, and passing by a wall loaded with buttons?

This is a super creative environment where I think anyone could blossom, look at this place! You’ll have to excuse me, it’s just that I get excited about office space, as it was a huge part of my former life managing facilities and working on space redesigns and I often think about it in my sleep, still. But wow, look at this space, not only are the buildings spectacular, but I love the overall flow and how spacious it feels, it’s like a city within a city. I also like how they’ve carved out all of these creative spaces where groups can congregate to chat and that the work areas are clustered together with low wall cubicles or no wall at all. It gives one a sense of belonging to a group, a team, vs. being stuffed into high wall cubicles and isolated from those you’re working with.

Urban Outfitters Offices in PhiladelphiaUrban Outfitters Offices in PhiladelphiaUrban Outfitters Offices in PhiladelphiaUrban Outfitters Offices in Philadelphia
For me, the greatest lure is that an old, abandoned property was transformed and reused for a new purpose instead of either sitting there and slowly falling apart or worse, bulldozed. Urban Outfitters brought new life into an otherwise dead navy yard. It’s so important to reinvent a space intended for a different purpose in a new, creative way. Firehouses and old schools are now condos in many neighborhoods as are houses of worship. It’s such a smart way to go. And, as these pictures show, no one had to sacrifice because it’s much more impressive because of its bones and history.

Thank you Ligeia for the images! For more views of this space, click here to view a mini slide show.

(images from MS&R. photography by lara swimmer.)

21 Comments

• Reply Lana Bear May 11, 2007 at 7:54 pm

I work at the home office, and I can definitely confirm that note, my monday mornings are never bad here! We’ve only been on this campus for a little under a year, and its amazing!! Thanks for the shout out..

• Reply kayte May 11, 2007 at 8:31 pm

oooh i’ll have to pick that issue up!
    i tok a tour of the space right after they bought it during one of our meetings but it was still basically a big shel of a space. it’s cool to see what they did with it.this

• Reply Betty C. Bowen May 11, 2007 at 11:33 pm

I thought the buttons were a Klimt-like painting!

• Reply katiedid May 12, 2007 at 12:25 am

Being a huge Anthropologie fan and a designer of commercial as well as residential spaces, I’m loving the chance to see the inner workings. Sooo great!

• Reply Melissa May 12, 2007 at 1:16 am

Ugh, I’d kill to work there. I applied a while ago, but they are WAY out of my league! :) I’m going to have to pick up this issue so I can drool all over it.

• Reply kimberlite8 May 12, 2007 at 6:47 pm

Holly – check out the multimedia display on UO’s annual report (no joking!). There are great pictures of the company headquarters and interviews with the creative people that work for UO and Anthropologie. http://www.urbanoutfittersinc.com/annualreview/index.html

• Reply joy May 14, 2007 at 6:30 pm

there space IS amazing! i’ve been there a couple times myself – def. the best creative office i’ve seen! very cool cafeteria too..and the annual review site is great!
    -joy

• Reply Jen May 14, 2007 at 8:39 pm

If only my house were that cool…let alone my work place.

Another magazine to add to my long list of titles to check out as well.

• Reply mushroomgarden May 18, 2007 at 4:20 am

This is soooo cool. I am drooling. so jealous!

• Reply danielle May 18, 2007 at 8:06 am

This office space is the most gorgeous I even ever seen. I LOVE it! It much be great working here.. Old buildings have much more character than newly build spaces, I think. By the way, I love Urban Outfitters. During by California trip I visited several stores (and bought some cute clothing). They have some great home accessories. Unfortunately they don’t have a store in The Netherlands. Thanks for showing these photos Holly!

• Reply Anonymous May 18, 2007 at 9:44 am

What an awesome work space, it would be a pleasure to get up every morning!!
    I am re-designing an office space this summer, it’s my Aunts office, she’s been through an ugly divorce, and is feeling low, I’m going to do a “surprise redesign” while she is away one weekend. (Her close co-worker is in on it) She so deserves a pretty place to spend 9-10 hours of her day in!! Thanks for that beautiful post Holly!!
    ~Angie~

• Reply sue May 18, 2007 at 11:29 am

what a fab. work place..!
    it’s just perfect.
    those balls of yarn – unreal.

• Reply IMEDAGOZE May 18, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Gosh, I’d loooove to work in an office space like THAT!!

• Reply Tiffany May 18, 2007 at 3:59 pm

What a great corporate space! Very inspiring. Thanks for the behind the scenes peak!

• Reply Jennifer Ramos May 19, 2007 at 1:17 am

i LOVE the office spaces, no wonder they are so creative, the environment always HELPS!!

• Reply tara May 21, 2007 at 5:29 am

mmm. I work at urban outfitters, so it’s neat to see where all the magic happens!

• Reply decor8 May 22, 2007 at 4:44 am

I’m glad you guys liked this space, I agree with all of you, it’s really something special and your environment really has a lot to do with how you feel at work.

• Reply --> WHIT <-- July 31, 2007 at 12:32 am

I happened across this posting, and I just want to say that I love it!! I’m in college right now for Interior Design and I find the fact that something this cool looking is used as an office space. It’s very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!! :)

• Reply diane July 9, 2008 at 6:35 pm

great article!! i love this project! i knew the landscaping (http://hibou-caillou-chou.over-blog.com/article-20369548-6.html), but i didn’t know the building’s renovation!
    thanks for the beautiful pictures!

• Reply ventura office space July 29, 2008 at 1:26 pm

that is seriously the most amazing office i have ever seen, i owuld love to work in an office space like that!
    Gorgeous interior design.