Renegade Craft Fair (Brooklyn)

{6/18 edit: some photos of my loot now added below.} This is by no means coverage of my visit to Renegade today because I didn’t go to write about my experience, but to just kick back, enjoy the weather, and have fun shopping. But I do have to highlight a few booths because I had a better time that I anticipated and found some really neat things that I hadn’t seen before, also something I didn’t expect. It was a total treat to be there with so many talented people in one place, and the weather was positively sublime (I went early before the crowds and crazy heat that came after lunch). I have to give a tiny mention of a few booths that I had fun shopping at, especially since so many of you live no where near Brooklyn and won’t be attending tomorrow. In addition to some of my favorites below, you can visit the Renegade website and under vendors, click on all the banners to link out to myriads of great crafty websites. Here’s a few booths that caught my eye:

The Small Object
– I wanted to walk away with the entire booth. Her short flat folk drawings caught my eye. Smitten Kitten – Great wallpaper journals and goodies made from vintage papers, all the way from Toronto, Canada. Then there’s Pillow, Pillow, Pillow – Fun animal pillows, mostly dogs and kitties from what I could see. Really well made. And art! We must have wall art! Mandy Gerth – Dreamy collages on paper with fabric. Another booth that I could easily have blown a paycheck. I hope she adds them to her etsy store soon.

Wren Handmade – I grabbed a yellow and white giraffe from Laura Normandin. Really cute elephants, too. I’ll show him to you when I’m back on Monday. Really cute things at this booth. Then there is Fernanimals, some of the sweetest mini lions in the world by Ashley Anna Brown from Beverly, MA. I spotted mostly lions, maybe she has other animals as well, but these little guys were adorable. Some had detached hoods. Really sweet. Sian Keegan – Adorable soft toys and things. Her daschunds were my favorite.

Serigraphie Cinquenquatre – Alice Jary from Montreal came down with her prints, don’t miss this booth, if you can secure a place around her table to look at them, that is. Her booth was packed with shoppers galore. From what I could tell, Alice is a big hit!

Lucy’s Vintage – This booth was a vintage lovers dream. I could have lingered much longer! Her dolly pillows reminded me of the ones that my mother and auntie made for me as a child. Everything in this booth felt like it had a story to tell. So pretty. Lots of things available in her etsy store, too.

Then there was Love Forever by Kayte Terry. Her lavender sachets and brand new art is really great. I heart Kayte. :) And Marilyn Patrizio rocks as usual. Until today, I’d only viewed her softies online. In person, they are even more adorable. This girl is so talented, she is into so many things, from painting to graphics and sewing. Here’s a link to her cutie blog, too. Oh and a new girl I discovered, Kim Design – Totally great knit and crochet goodies. Check out her website.

And of course my usual favorites: Strawberry Luna, Fred Flare, Adorn, Magpie, Jen Corace, Jezebel, My Paper Crane, Figs + Ginger, If’n Books, Etsy, and Repro Depot (fabrics by the pound – weeeee!), and 200+ more. All in all, this was the best craft fair of ’07 for me. I’m so glad I attended my first Renegade!

Psst: If you do attend tomorrow (Sunday), bring cash because most vendors do not accept plastic. And brings lots of cash because you’ll want to buy everything at this fair, trust me. It’s delicious!

See you on Monday!

{6/18 edit: some photos of my loot now added below.}

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, shopping, travel on June 17, 2007

1. tiel commented
    June 17th, 2007 at 11:26am

what amazing finds1

2. D commented
    June 17th, 2007 at 3:36pm

anything else there besides stuffed items and little collages? Something not that typical…….something that has that WOW factor.

3. decor8 commented
    June 17th, 2007 at 3:46pm

if stuffed and collaged isn’t your thing, you may not be into it. crafts are what they are. my husband kept saying yesterday that 99.9% of this stuff his family and friends made in germany for their children, and still do. it’s not considered ‘indie crafts’, nor is it cool or hip where he’s from because these things are just considered hobbies, toys, play things. but in america, i think so many of us in my age bracket had parents that both worked and didn’t have time to make handmade goods for us, so we get excited when we see this stuff. or it reminds us of things our grandmother gave us. for me, my auntie and mom made me tons of crafts – dollhouses, doll clothes, stuffed toys, collaged wall art out of felt, you name it. so for me, it’s a trip down memory lane and since my aunt died suddenly at age 41, i think there’s this really special feeling that i tie to anything handmade. she had her own montessori school and made everything for me and her students. sorry to ramble, but i think it’s just different strokes for different folks. i actually see real value in handmade and although i felt a lot of items were too expensive to buy and hand to kids (my giraffe was $60), i display them here and there or give them as gifts to people that appreciate crafty things and will display them too.

anyway, that’s my opinion.

4. casapinka commented
    June 17th, 2007 at 5:53pm

I completely agree – my parents worked as well. Not only that, I don’t think it would have occurred to my mom to make things like this. They weren’t considered very special, just, as your husband said, playthings or hobbies. My aunt in law presented me with a hand crocheted christening gown for my daughter and it was one of the most special presents I’ve received. In this day and age with all the hustle and bustle and mass production anything handmade has “wow” factor for me.

5. S. commented
    June 17th, 2007 at 6:06pm

Hope you made it to Layla while you’re in town. Looking at that map it would be straight shot from the Craft Fair on the G train (Hoyt/Schermerhorn stop). I’m thinking it’s about a 15-20 minute ride. And there’s the whole antique district on Atlantic Ave and the home store scene on Smith St. (Don’t miss Maleeka on Atlantic Ave., ’round the corner from Layla. Wonderful quilts.)

6. decor8 commented
    June 17th, 2007 at 10:07pm

yes, i hit layla and enjoyed it, great robshaw stuff. and around the corner there was this a store that said it was closing, all vintage stuff, wow it was amazing inside! if i had a truck, i would have easily purchased this danish serving cart that i saw. sigh.

7. M. Patrizio commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 3:45am

hellooo dear! Jen Corace was there?! Was she at if’n books + marks? I love her stuff! There was so many booths this year, so overwhelming I thought! I am happy to hear you had a good time! Thank you for stopping by my booth!

8. decor8 commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 4:02am

Hi marilyn!!:) xo i think it was her at if’n books – but i’m not sure, i did see her stuff there though.

9. mcaplan commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 4:22am

Oh I am soooooo jealous! I really want to attend next year as a seller or a shopper!!!

10. true nature commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 4:32am

okay, those wallpaper journals are right up my alley. thanks for the renegade post! xo

11. jamie commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 3:05pm

love that wiener dog pillow, holly :) was that from pillow, pillow, pillow?

12. decor8 commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 3:40pm

hi michelle! :) yes, next year you should attend as a seller. why not!?

jenny/true nature – your blog looks great, what did you do? the color scheme is heaven! just wanted to say that…

jaime – yup, it’s from pillow, pillow, pillow. you should totally order, order, order! :) i think rare device in brooklyn carries them. the link to that store is under my ‘brooklyn’ links in the right column of my blog. go for it!

13. Erica commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 4:17pm

I was excited to see Lotta there and to hear that she’ll be opening up her studio to the public soon.

And as always, lot’s of fun stuff from Mr. Pickles.

Three of my W’burg faves are Moon River Chattel for refurbished furniture and lots of great accessories, Sodafine for handmade clothes and DuMont Burger for the best burgers and mac & cheese.

14. Anne commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 5:45pm

Now you’ve done it, with your terrific links. I saw the list of vendors and checked several. My piggy bank is going to be positively anorexic!

15. sian keegan commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 6:52pm

thanks so much for coming to my booth and for the mention!

16. Angie commented
    June 18th, 2007 at 8:06pm

Yay Serigraphie CinqUnQuatre!

Alice and Jason are very sweet people, we exhibit their art in our store (Headquarters) here in their hometown of Montreal. Way to go Alice for making it down to NY!

And thanks Holly for the coverage, more new people to check out for our shop/gallery. I am in LOVE with the vintage wallpaper journals, and Toronto is so close to me in Montreal!

17. Anonymous commented
    June 19th, 2007 at 4:00am

HOLLY thank you for this post and I’m sad that you didn’t say hello to me because I thought that was you with your hubby. I wish you would have said something to me!!!

Sarah

18. Heather Moore commented
    June 19th, 2007 at 11:38am

It looks brill. Wish I could have been there. Maybe I should organise something similar in Cape Town one day…

19. kayte commented
    June 19th, 2007 at 10:31pm

thanks for the mention!
    it was great meeting you!

20. Selina commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 12:20pm

How did you transfer your old blog to a new one. I want to buy a new site and do that but people telling me i will lose all my links that way? tnx
    Selina´s last blog post ..Belle – Beaded Napkin Ring