Blueprint – They’ve done it again!

Blueprint just keeps getting better and better. Although the model on the cover looks 14, making me feel like I’m a bit elderly, I love the ideas in this issue (no.5), especially the wallpaper feature. I was just thinking about wallpaper in the shower this morning (I have the best ideas in there, don’t laugh!) and since it’s no longer circulating around the blogs as much as say, a few months back, I wondered if wallpaper was becoming a bit passe. Then Blueprint arrived and made me feel so much better because I love wallpaper and was beginning to fear the worst. Blueprint tells us to think outside of the traditional floor-to-ceiling wallpaper box and go with some more involved, and creative, uses for wallpaper. (Here’s a related post along these lines back from March in case you missed it.)

The imagery alone in this feature is delicious, but I especially loved seeing wallpaper as a headboard and mounted on wood panels as insta-art. We’ve all read about this ideas before, but Blueprint incorporates that Martha Stewart perfection that we all love so much, which made these tips feel fresh and exciting. They highlighted a wallpaper I’d not seen before called “Grille Modern Grande” by Hinson & Company, a company that’s been around since the 70′s. They used that pattern as a headboard, just wait until you see it on page 102. It’s simply grand-e. I love the paint on the wall, too. But they don’t list the color used, so you’ll have to snip the page and take it to Lowe’s to match it. I’m guessing it’s a Benjamin Moore color (or Martha Stewart paints which, fyi, are now exclusive to Lowe’s). Blueprint seems to use a lot of Ben Moore and MS Paints in their rooms. Has anyone ever painted with MS Paints, and if so, how do they rank against other paints you’ve used? I’ve been wondering this, since I want to paint my bedroom in MS286 Surf.

Another great article is Modern Mex, a party with a Baja-inspired theme with lots of delicious summer cuisine. Having been to baja a few years ago, it was great to find the recipe for grilled fish tacos – a favorite of both my husband and I. I always drool when my southern California friends talk about going to the beach to enjoy some fish tacos with a Corona. I’m forever California dreamin’…. Modern Mex took me back there again to my days in Baja. Oh, and the Bungalow Great article is a good one to, I hadn’t seen anything like it already a billion times over, which made the feature stand out as interesting. It made me want to pack everything and move to Greenport, New York. I’m crazy about bungalows, cottages, anything with a history really.

Anyway, No. 5 is a great issue… A real boost for those in a creative rut, and lots of great photos to tear and post on your inspiration boards… Which reminds me, have you voted yet for your favorite mood board?

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on June 20, 2007

1. LauraB commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 7:15pm

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I read yours every day (ok sometimes more than once daily).

Coincidentally, when I move to Chicago I’m planning on doing this wallpaper as a headboard idea, and am so excited about it! I’ll have to pick up Blueprint to figure out how. (First saw it on AbsolutelyBeautifulThings with no instructions)

2. Jennyology commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 7:23pm

Drat! My Blueprint didn’t come in the mail today! I’m always worried that our local mail carrier will leave one of my precious magazines with the neighbors by accident. I really like Blueprint and am looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

3. Courtney commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 7:36pm

I’ve used MS paints from Sherwin Williams for my past two houses and love them, but I’m not sure if the Lowe’s (Valspar) line is the same color range. Valspar was rated the best buy by Consumer Reports several years ago. I painted my house in Minneapolis with them (I move too much), and they were great.

4. Youngest Indie commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 7:41pm

I am obsessed with your blog, DECOR8! *sigh* It’s so right up my alley. I love your taste for sure. When I have downtime at work, i always stop by and check for updates or go back to your archives. awesome! keep it up!

pls visit me at youngestindie.blogspot.com

5. Anonymous commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 8:18pm

I’ve used Martha Stewart Paints in my home (kitchen, living, breakfast areas) and I love it. It holds up well against the occassional scrub down. Come to think of it, I even painted some terracotta planters with it and left them outside and the paint is still there. It was purchased from Sherwin Williams and they may use their own brand of paint to mix the color.

6. Rachelle commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 8:20pm

It’s all about keeping bath crayons in the shower for just these sort of ideas. I have scribblings and to-do lists all over my tile! =)

7. Rachel commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 8:38pm

I foresee a trip to Barnes & Noble in my evening plans. Why don’t I just subscribe already?

8. Tara commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 8:40pm

Ha ha, like you I literally dropped everything when the new issue arrived in this afternoon’s mail!

Usually my Blueprint issues sprout dozens of little paper markers by the time I’m done …. Fewer this time, but I definitely tore out a couple of pages from the wallpaper article (loved the chair rail ideas) and will check out some of the travel sites. And a couple of items spotted in this issue just may appear on our wedding registry.

Did you see that Blueprint now has a blog? Looks like an interesting mix of info. (Though of COURSE it will always remain second to decor8 in my heart….)

9. Shawnna commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 8:45pm

P.S. Blueprint is made by Martha Stewart, so It would not shock me if all the paints in there were hers.

10. Julieta commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 8:53pm

I’ve paint more rooms than I care to remember, and have used all sorts of paints manufacturers. I have to say, though, that my hands down favorite is Martha and I keep coming back to her. No other company can get the color right–especially when it comes to blues. And don’t worry about quality–I first started with Martha’s [gasp!] KMART/Sears paint collection and they went on/lasted better than any of the upscale brands I’ve tried, including Pratt & Lambert.

11. TinkerBlue commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 8:54pm

We used a MS red in our office. It looks great and it painted on very nicely. We’ve also used Behr, CSL and Ralph Lauren. I like the MS and Ralph Lauren.

12. thisnext commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 9:47pm

Thanks for the heads-up I have been waiting for the new one to come out :)

13. Zaya commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 10:34pm

MS Paints are now part of Lowe’s Signature Paint line… which I LOVE. I haven’t used any of her colors yet, but I’m very happy with the paint quality in the colors I’ve used in their other color lines. If I’m matching a color and have to pick it from their regular color line I usually try to get them to mix it in the signature paint if they can as well.

14. Jenica commented
    June 21st, 2007 at 2:19pm

I used to buy MS paint when it was sold at K-mart, and I was unbelievably impressed with it (covered bright Tiffany blue with a light beige color in one coat.)

15. terri commented
    June 21st, 2007 at 6:24pm

Does anyone know where to get the MS paints in Canada? Perhaps I need to phone around – we don’t have Lowe’s here! I just heard of her new line and it sounds lovely.

On a side note, I think it was funny that Holly mentioned the cover model on the Blueprint mag looking 14. For some crazy reason, I just want to see the rooms, not models. I always find it annoying because they are always young, thin, and gorgeous and it makes me feel like this “lifestyle” is only for the beautiful. It’s one of the reasons I don’t buy Domino. I love the mag, but all those photos of stylists and editors and such, who are all rail-thin and expensively-dressed AND have great homes make me feel like a loser. I feel terrible saying that, but they all look like they have their crap together, you know, their perfect crap. When in the end, I just want to see the rooms and still like myself. hehehe. I know I sounds crazy but that, and the use of models in decor mags drives me up the wall…I guess I should be happy they are using “real” people?

16. kat commented
    June 22nd, 2007 at 9:06am

Thanks for posting Blueprint info! Sob.. how to get Blueprint in South Africa.. I’ve been lucky enough to do a magazine swap and get my hands on a copy. Would love to get it regularly…alert me when they start doing international subscriptions!!