Eye Candy from House Beautiful

Made By Girl posted some gorgeous House Beautiful rooms on her blog and the moment I saw her favorites it hit me that I’ve not yet turned to the HB website as a resource. Time to change that! Look at these spaces, aren’t they fabulous? I want to sleep in this bedroom below, the one with the blue chandelier. I love seeing pink, blue, and yellow in a bedroom, don’t you? And this room in no way screams teenage. It’s very grown up. I think the window treatments really helped pull that room together, so pretty! And do you see what I see below? Kitchen perfection. Look at those tiles and the lemons in the bowl, everything sparkles. Makes me sick, sick, sick! But I still love to look.

Okay, so the HB site is loaded with great images, but aside from that, an abundance of links to terrific websites where you can find products for your home, from plates to sofas and beyond. And if you need color inspiration, HB has a tool that allows you to select a room according to style (cottage, modern, traditional, etc.), and then by color. And then, product round ups. We love us some of those.

I’m the queen of round ups, so I especially enjoy their quick snips, especially the spotlight on 101 great plates (with links!). I went bookmark nuts there.

My ultimate goal in life (besides world peace he he) is to own beautiful china, but not all of the same pattern. I want every single plate to be different, along with all the cups, teacups, and serving platters. As long as it is fine bone china and of the same color palette (pale blues, pinks, greens, yellows), then that would suit me fine. Anyone else have this desire? I know Rachel Ashwell does, because I got the idea from her in one of her books about 7 years ago and haven’t stopped thinking about it ever since.

Did I tell you about the time I met her in L.A. at an event I attended there? (I feel chatty today, please forgive me and skip these bits if I’m boring you.)

This was back in ’05. I was so star struck that I froze. My husband had to talk to her for me. Then I completely unfroze and turned into a ball of babble. But she liked me and agreed to have her photo taken with me and then, she ran off, returning with one of her books, and handed it to me. I looked inside and she had written a quick blurb about how lovely it was to meet me and all. For the record, all those that are hating on Rachel Ashwell, I happen to like her and the whole white furniture beach cottage look. I find it all very serene and pretty. When I spotted her huge leather Moroccan poufs dotted around her Melrose Ave. store, I fell in love with the laid back bohemian English rose style she is known for. I digress… Back to House Beautiful.

If you aren’t already turning to House Beautiful online, hop to it! It’s fun to surf through all the rooms and if you aren’t already doing this, create a file on your desktop and call it “Inspired By” and start dumping images you find into the file. You can also give it sub folders “Rugs”, “Wallpaper”, “Lighting”, etc. It’s a really fun way to keep your inspiration near and dear to you. Of course, there are bookmarking websites and stuff for that as well, but I actually refer more to my Inspired By file because I like being able to collage the images I find onto a white canvas in Fireworks and move things around until they make sense to me, saving the digital inspiration board for future reference.

(images from house beautiful online)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on June 20, 2007

1. mohairpink commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 4:59pm

That kitchen island is absolute perfection. I don’t think it can be topped.

2. cartolina commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 5:03pm

wow, I am so inspired to add some watery tourquoise to my home now. Let the sun shine in!
    Thanks for this!

3. Becky commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 5:24pm

What beautiful inspiration. Great rooms that are so elegantly put together. Makes me want to redo some of the rooms in our house.

4. Alissa commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 5:48pm

I’d never really thought about it before, but one of my favorite restaurants (Savannah’s, located in one of Chicago’s far-flung suburbs) serves on mis-matched china. I think their silverware is mis-matches as well. It gives the feeling of having dinner at an aunt’s house. An wealthy, stylish, Southern aunt :)

5. Melanie commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 6:07pm

I love your blog! Just love. I get so inspired. Thank you for finding all of this eye candy for us to look at! Oh, and I love how often you update! I sit at a desk all day and it is so nice to take a little 5 minute break by going to your blog!

6. I am Jen commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 6:21pm

The kitchen is something I would love to wake up to every morning and have a cup of coffee in!

7. corine commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 6:29pm

I’m SO with mohairpink regarding the turquoise island! I didn’t know one could fall in love with a kitchen, but that’s juts wat happened when I spotted it in house beautiful.

8. Jen commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 7:05pm

Oh my goodness, Holly. That KITCHEN! I love it! That’s definitely getting printed out for our house-hunting dreams.

The chandelier in that bedroom is beautiful as well.

HB has really impressed me of late. For me, they’ve replaced Elle Decor.

9. Sarah Dennis commented
    June 20th, 2007 at 7:06pm

Hi Holly, great post on HB. You’re right, the website is chock full of great inspiration!

As a lover of tableware, you know I was all over the 101 Plate story – I posted it on my blog as well:

If you loved 101 plates, wait until you see July’s issue – 101……! Is the suspense killing you?

10. hallaren commented
    June 21st, 2007 at 5:49am

I met Rachel Ashwell last autumn in New York City. She was gracious, patient and kind during our chat. I thanked her for giving me the impetus to take up my own power tools and paint brush laden with white paint to transform all the furniture I had collected at fleas and thrifts.

She has brought inspiration and the how-to to my home, which gets better with each scrub, sanding, painting and sewing.

I do wish she had a blog and how-to site.

11. Meg commented
    July 15th, 2008 at 5:27pm

Love the room with the pink and blue chandelier. Can someone please identify the interior designer for that room?