Objects, Shopping + Products

Horsing Around at Urban Outfitters

June 21, 2007

This is totally cute, a little Swedish Horse lamp at Urban Outfitters for only $36. It really reminds of the Jonathan Adler horse lamp, only a budget version. Maybe they’ll do a giraffe next?

Horsing Around at Urban Outfitters
(images from urban outfitters)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Chris Mora June 21, 2007 at 8:15 pm

My friend got the owl lamp from the same collection.

Every once and a while Urban Outfitters has a decent home item that does not involve drinking or a Jesus action figure…

• Reply Robin Van lent June 21, 2007 at 8:21 pm

You have been tagged,
    read more at my blog…

• Reply Hannah Wilson June 21, 2007 at 8:32 pm

Original find! Although with the right imagination the little horsey could look fantastic.. I don’t think I would put it in a room. Something about it’s eyes reminds me of children of the damned…

• Reply John Trosko June 21, 2007 at 9:30 pm

If this smells like a rip-off, then it probably is.

– John

• Reply kerri June 21, 2007 at 9:38 pm

personally, I’m not sure how I feel about buying products that are obvious rip-offs of other designers. What do you guys think?

On the one hand, it’s great to get the look for less, but on the other hand I worry that supporting these knock-offs ultimately hurt the designers and the design scene in general?

Any thoughts? I’d be interested to hear!

• Reply DeborahOfChicCosas.Com June 21, 2007 at 11:02 pm

If they do a Giraffe i’ll have no choice but to buy one!
    (see my My Space page for all of the Giraffe love!) haha!

• Reply decor8 June 22, 2007 at 12:06 am

kerri i’m with you, it’s a real toss up. did you ever read this post? some interesting comments were left that you may enjoy reading:

• Reply well, whatever June 22, 2007 at 12:10 am

One horse lamp, fine whatever. At least it’s changed enough to not be a direct knock off of Adler. I would hope they wouldn’t do a giraffe lamp too! After this horse lamp, making a giraffe one would just confirm to everyone that they’re trying to ride Jonathan Adler’s coattails… and I’m sure they’ve got plenty of talent to come up with cute things themselves. If not, they should move over some of the designers at anthropologie. Their home collection is getting amazing!!

And yes, Kerri I definitely think it does hurt the smaller designers when a bigger company with more buying power can buy huge qtys of product at a much lower price… usually to sell it cheaper than it costs to make the original. And the benefit to the bigger company is that the product has already proven to be a success… so there is virtually no risk for them. Not really fair to the smaller designer who put a lot of investment and took risks in developing a product without any guarantees.

• Reply Allison June 22, 2007 at 12:31 am

I have been very impressed with some of the home decor items at UO lately… hope they keep on keepin’ on with the cool decor stuff…

• Reply Ms.Crystal June 22, 2007 at 1:09 am

I love the owl lamp, Evrytime I go to UO I always pick it up

• Reply Blush June 22, 2007 at 4:22 am

Urban Outfitters’ sister store, Anthropologie usually has a great selection of furniture and home decor. It’s extra pricey but they finally put on sale the pointillist duvet cover that I’ve been drooling over. This season’s furniture selection is so charming.

• Reply Natasha June 22, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Let’s all keep in mind that Adler took his design directly from the classic Swedish country style, so he and UO are just passing down a new version of a horse that’s been around for hundreds of years.

• Reply cartolina June 22, 2007 at 1:26 pm

Well it looks a bit like the Jonathon Adler version – but as with all copycats, they didn’t get it quite right – the subtle differences in the gesture of this beast give the secret away.
    It was a good try, but it’s the tiny details that give a perfectly designed object that “je ne sais quoi” that will define it as a long lasting art piece – as opposed to a dust collecting figurine with a best-before date somewhere in July!
    { Did I mention that I love it anyway…. woops! }

• Reply Jocelyn Durston June 22, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I was admiring this lamp on their site the other day. I’m so tempted to buy it – love it!

• Reply blushing apples June 22, 2007 at 10:54 pm

haha, “Urban Outfitters has a decent home item that does not involve drinking or a Jesus action figure…” that is true, i cant imagine any owning a jesus figure! urbn does have some great decor/furniture items!