Color of the Month: ORANGE

Rachel Perls, our visiting color expert from Hue Consulting, is back to talk about the decor8 color of the month: Orange!

Orange Crush
By: Rachel Perls, Hue Consulting

I am so excited about this month?s color, as it happens to be my favorite hue. But I think most people have to grow to love it. This color does tend to illicit strong reactions- you?re either in the orange fan club, or most definitely not. But lately, juicy orange has made inroads into our style sensibilities, showing up more and more frequently in mainstream design, and accepted by more people as they grow to understand it.

Personally, I think that Christo?s Gates installation in Central Park in New York City acted as a catalyst for popularizing orange. (That?s yours truly, Rachel Perls, in the picture. It was amazing to see!) Image: Rachel Perls.

Any time you need to interject some warmth into a space, orange is a fantastic option. This color just radiates heat. Aren?t these Venetian plaster walls gorgeous? Image: Shoot Factory.

In the tradition of ?go big, or go home?, embracing orange in all its glory. Sunny, cheerful, sweet orange; how it makes us smile. As a secondary color, it has the drama of red, slightly toned down by the light-heartedness of yellow. Image: Sixx Design.

Or take a slightly more restrained approach, with a few star pieces stealing the show. Images: Homes and Gardens, Shoot Factory, Amy Kim on HGTV.

Orange casts a healthy glow on your skin, so using it in drapery is an excellent option. Image: Designers Guild.

The wonderful thing about orange is how versatile it is. Decorating with this hue does not mean you only have the option of bright, vivid saturated color. Think of all the other varieties that this hue comes in: terra cotta, peach, coral, rust? (based on info at Dewey Color System.)

Terra cotta is a more subdued, elegant form of orange, strong and enduring. Think autumn harvest, falling leaves, and pumpkins. Image: Sunset magazine.

Sugar & Spice! Orangy paprika is an excellent choice for a kitchen, an inviting gathering space. Fun and energizing, it?s known as an appetite stimulant. Image: GV Interiors.

Or how about softer, peachy tones? Apricot, melon, all those yummy orange colors, can be both delicious and dramatic, while still subtle. Image: William Waldron.

To test the waters of orange, bring in accent pieces to add a pop of color without too much commitment. Image: Greg Natale.

You can also use natural elements, like flowers, or ceramic pots, to achieve some orange pizzazz outside. Think about how orange is showcased in nature-splashes of color against bright green foliage, often paired with brilliant violet flowers or set off against blue sky. This pairing of warm and cool colors works every time. Images: Nasturtium by Skipthebudgie, Poppies by Mary Mactavish, Patio image via Real Estate.

So, you?re not hot for orange? Or so you think. Do you have wood floors or furniture? Wood has distinct color undertones that can range from deep burgundy to orange or gold to blonde. Surprised? People often neglect this point when selecting wood pieces. Something to think about the next time you try to mix a mahogany dresser with an ash headboard and oak end tables, right? Image: Jeff Andrews Design.

So, if you haven?t before, give orange a second look. Think of all the varieties it comes in, and see how you can incorporate this warmth and energy into your spaces. It?s sure to put a smile on your face.

Thank you Rachel for stopping in with your Orange color report! Today is all about Orange here on decor8, so I’ll be back with a few posts of my own to show you some of my favorite rooms and products in case you’re looking for a little orange inspiration today. See you soon!

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, guest bloggers on June 26, 2007

1. Monkey commented
    June 26th, 2007 at 4:27pm

I LOVE ORANGE! I hated it growing up and now it’s my favorite color (tied with blue) :)
    I bought an orange owl print from sugarloop and love it! There’s pics of it in my kitchen on my blog. We also have some lovely orange-ness on pendants in our etsy shop. There’s a link on my blog.

2. Susan Chastain-Hulbert commented
    June 26th, 2007 at 6:05pm

Yesterday I posted about my new orange blik decals that I put in my bedroom this weekend. What a coincidence! In fact, I was going to ask you what I can do about replacing my white lampshades – I’d love something modern and orange to go with my navy blue Jonathan Adler bedspread. Any ideas?

3. Rachel commented
    June 26th, 2007 at 6:42pm

Monkey- you know, i didn’t like orange growing up, either. when i started using it in my paintings, I began to appreciate it more and more. it’s a surprisingly versatile color, don’t you think?

4. becky commented
    June 26th, 2007 at 8:07pm

Is that light fixture in the bottom photo the same as SJP’s Hamptons farmhouse that was on the cover of Elle Decor about a year ago? Hers was blue and that is just the coolest thing! Any info on it?

Becky

5. sandman_gr commented
    June 27th, 2007 at 2:35pm

i love orange too! have one bright hot orange wall in my living room and also a glass bowl, a plexiglass vase and a candle to compliment it. I combine this with accents of dark olive green to offset the beige and white and natural wood of the furniture. I’m also going to paint the rest of the walls (now white) in a very-very light olive green. Great idea for the monthly color!

6. kbd commented
    June 27th, 2007 at 6:22pm

I read somewhere once that Buddhist monks wear orange robes because they are the color of the soul. I’m not sure if that is true, but it’s an interesting idea.

I’ve been considering orange mosaic tiles to pep up my kitchen. I rent my place, and the landlord redid the kitchen really nicely (for a rented place) before I moved in 3 months ago… but it needs something. This is what I’m thinking of putting above the sink as a giant, square backsplash… http://www.cooltiles.com/ggba900.html

There is a square area there, so it’ll be a focal point without me laying out a ton of dough to make a backsplash all round the countertops.

Thanks for the great color this month!

7. The Hip Homemaker commented
    June 28th, 2007 at 6:47pm

This was such an inspiring post and I have loved all of the other “Orange’ themed photos and posts so much. I decided to post the orange from my own house on my blog, just to play along. Thanks for all of your fabulous resources.