Orange Cottage by Civility Design

Once upon a time, there was a little cottage… with funky chandeliers and the brightest orange walls you’ve ever seen in your life! Seriously, these rooms blow “cottage charm” out of the window, there isn’t a single cabbage rose pattern to be found! How did I come across this place? I didn’t. These images arrived via email and my immediate reaction was a jaw-dropping “Wow!”. When I pulled together my most recent trend piece for HGTV on Cane, Don and Jaymes at Civility Design supplied the quotes needed for that article and we’ve been in touch ever since, they’re based in Chicago and have a glorious online portfolio if you’re like to check it out. From what Don tells me, after reading all the recent color posts about orange here on decor8, he was inspired to share with decor8 readers a glimpse into a vintage cottage designed using orange and kelly green as the dominant colors. Ready?

Here’s what Don has to say about the project, “We incorporated a great deal of custom pieces from tile, to fabric, to chairs to even cruelty-free, resin-antler chandeliers we custom made in ‘Hermes’ Orange!”

“The chandeliers we made for the kitchen, even in their Orange Color, read as ‘red’…to the point where we have received requests for them from all over the world because people have thought they were large pieces of coral, made into chandeliers.” – Don Raney
“All photos are from the same remodel/project we designed; a vintage cottage reinterpreted with period-appropriate materials but with a modern twist. Fun Fun Fun – and beautiful, all at the same time.” – Don Raney

What do you think about that cottage space? I love all the bold accents and how these designers didn’t let the word cottage deter their vision at all. Great job!

Related posts: 6/14 Cane

(images from civility design)

Posted by decor8 in bathroom, Color Inspiration, designers, kitchen on June 29, 2007

1. Leah commented
    June 29th, 2007 at 4:04pm

oo, i’m loving the orange tile against the dark wood. something about it (a combo i would never have thought of) is so delicious!

2. steven mcvay commented
    June 29th, 2007 at 4:43pm

orange rules, and so does decor8, i wanted to say thanks for showing us such brilliant places, and thought you might like the pics on my blog about my visit to liberty in london yesterday, i know you must have been before but everytime i go inside i think of you.

3. Jess commented
    June 29th, 2007 at 5:06pm

On an unrelated note, nice job making decor8′s blog header complement your new business cards. An identity is emerging!

4. Lindsey commented
    June 29th, 2007 at 5:10pm

I love everything about this cottage. I love the orange deer chandeliers in the kitchen with all of that black and white. The barstools are my favorite though. Thanks for posting Holly!

5. splatgirl commented
    June 29th, 2007 at 5:40pm

LOVE the orange tile. I’ve been wanting to tile one whole wall of my orange powder room ever since I painted the walls and this has given me a huge confidence boost to just go ahead and do it…to hell with hard to change…

P.S. thanks so much for the nice blurb about Modern in MN. And no, the lockers aren’t as tidy as they could be on the inside, but I blame the dog since it’s mostly his room :)

6. Marisa and Creative Thursday commented
    June 29th, 2007 at 6:28pm

fantastic!

7. becky commented
    June 29th, 2007 at 10:30pm

You should check out the bathroom from the rooms at The Standard Hotel on Sunset Blvd. I’ll see if I can dig up a photo and email it to you. I’ve been meaning to post about that place forever but I’ve been too lazy to edit and upload my photos! Why are photos such a pain in the butt sometimes?
    becky

8. Anonymous commented
    June 29th, 2007 at 10:52pm

What a great blogspot. I found you while reading the Times today (London). I am an American in London and greatly enjoyed seeing your blog mentioned in our paper here.

Ashley

9. Anonymous commented
    July 3rd, 2007 at 11:45am

The kitchen was on a design show, and I thought they ruined a perfectly interesting mid-century modern kitchen (which did need renovations) and made it much uglier with this update–and I love orange. What was there before was so much nicer–just needed updating.

10. cottages commented
    October 13th, 2008 at 10:47am

Thats nice decor! unusual but different, I do like the bright colour schemes and unusual furnishings, but it all looks great! I might join the whole decor idea and paint the walls in illuminous paint!

I Like the blend of traditional and modern under one roof

11. Devon Cottages commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 3:33pm

The ultimate in Cottage Chic – we would love a cottage like this on our books!

12. Aberdeen commented
    January 31st, 2011 at 1:12am

I love seeing new designs like these. As bathroom fitters it genuinely is refreshing to see the different styles of bathrooms from different countries. Truly great site you have here to explore and enjoy.