Arts + Crafts, Etsy Faves

Button Collective

July 23, 2007

I’m thrilled! My daily visit to the Etsy homepage got me to clicking around and pow! I landed on a little something special called Button Collective. Remember this post, where I blogged about how much I love badges (buttons, pins, you know those things), but since I’m not 17 I really can’t see wearing them on my jacket? And I talked about how I think it would be great to find some cool way to display them as art? Button Collective has a terrific solution. Check this out.

Button Collective
They have these cool button display boards called storyboards where you can show off your prized collection of badges. Outside of using a shadowbox, this is a really clever display option. They come in all shapes and sizes, white or black.

Button Collective
What do you think?

(images from button collection)

You Might Also Like

• Reply D. July 23, 2007 at 11:18 pm

Whats wrong with wearing them past the age of 17?? [as long as its not overdone]

I think the idea of the button frame is cute, but it seems like a simple store display. Crown molding would make it pop. Something. Anything.

• Reply decor8 July 23, 2007 at 11:45 pm

For you, I’m sure nothing at all and that’s great because there is enough room in this world for all of us to wear what we love with pride. I was speaking merely for myself. I would rather display them than wear them.

• Reply Artsy Momma July 23, 2007 at 11:55 pm

Thats a great display idea. Thats an idea that I hit my forehead and go Doh! Why didnt I think of that?!!?

• Reply Madame M. July 23, 2007 at 11:58 pm

Wow, what a great idea! I have always wondered what to do with my “Stop Harassing Prostitutes” or my “Eat, F**k, Kill” pins.

• Reply the scholar July 24, 2007 at 12:47 am

i think this is awesome. my husband and i have an 80’s concert time capsule, made entirely from buttons.

they’re all in a cigar box now, but maybe not for long…

terrific find — and p.s. — your blog is great!

• Reply alison July 24, 2007 at 12:54 am

i absolutely love this…i have one hanging on my wall that i got as a gift!

if you or anyone else local want to get one, you can get them at magpie in somerville.

• Reply Lex July 24, 2007 at 1:31 am

In button love!!! I have passed up so many buttons because I don’t wear them but this alternative is PERFECT!! Thanks for the links, Holly!

• Reply Allison July 24, 2007 at 1:42 am

Love it! I love buttons, but like you I have no interest in wearing them.

• Reply sarah * July 24, 2007 at 2:50 am

love, love, love! just what i need for my buttons (that i refuse to wear because i don’t want to lose them & then consequently feel guilty for not wearing them because they just sit in a box instead).

• Reply jill July 24, 2007 at 9:27 am

i would not wear them either. i prefer them as magnets. but if they are going to be pinks, i woud rather see them in a beautiful bowl maybe on a bookcase by the door. every day you randomly pick one out and reflect on it for a moment. to me, the frame looks like a store display… like someone else said.

• Reply bowie style July 24, 2007 at 9:43 am

im currently in love with buttons, or badges, as we call them here in the UK, and i find the best way to wear them is on bags & purses.
    in fact ive just got a book about how many designers are making them these days and its amazing. they are definately a collectable art form, so framing or mounting them is a great idea.

• Reply Neunann Studio July 24, 2007 at 10:35 am

I think it is pa perfect idea!

• Reply minxlj July 24, 2007 at 2:06 pm

absolute genius! the little 3 x 3 display makes a great little piece of art. I’ve got some badges/buttons arriving from soon and now I’m torn between wearing them (cos I have no pride, and I don’t care if I’m not 17) or displaying them!

• Reply Claire July 24, 2007 at 4:07 pm

What a great idea! Thanks for the link.

• Reply M. Patrizio July 24, 2007 at 5:03 pm

I think it is a good idea too! I don’t wear them on my clothes but I have, in the past, put them on my bag. I don’t collect buttons, but the ones I’ve gotten as gifts I’ve been using them as magnets with my magnetic strip from Ikea, which I think is the most economical/multi- purpose usage of the buttons.

• Reply patti haskins July 24, 2007 at 6:15 pm

I use a stretched canvas like you can find at craft stores, glue 1/2″ foam sheet to the back side inside the stretcher strips, and paint the canvas a funky color. Then you just stick the button into the front of the canvas like a big flat pincushion. Hangs on the wall like a canvas piece of art, but with your button collection!

• Reply Anonymous July 25, 2007 at 1:56 pm

I display mine on a wide ribbon. In fact I recently picked up a Martha Stewart 1 1/2 inch moire in wood grain-walnut. It’s neutral so it doesn’t detract from my pins. I’ve been putting one together for my kitchen made from food related buttons that i’ve gotten at craft fairs like Renegade.

I’m a buttonaholic!

• Reply Erica July 25, 2007 at 1:57 pm

Sorry! I didn’t mean to post about my ribbon button display without my name!

• Reply MissK July 26, 2007 at 7:39 am

Great idea,i saw something similar recently where they placed buttons in a frame or display box.