Shopping + Products

Red Chair Antiques in New Hampshire

July 25, 2007

When we leave New Hampshire someday, I’ll definitely need to locate a new Red Chair Antiques to visit for inspiration because I think every girl needs one shop nearby where she can linger, explore, touch everything (sorry shop owners!), and draw inspiration from the various displays and products offered there. A place where you can enter feeling a bit uninspired and leave with more ideas than you’ll ever know what to do with. That is the joy of shopping my friends.

Red Chair Antiques in New Hampshire
My husband also likes this store because it brings out the explorer in him. He especially enjoys looking through the vintage law books written in old German, he purchased several from this shop that he read and now displays on a shelf in our home.

Red Chair Antiques in New Hampshire
I blogged about Red Chair last summer so you may recall the name, it’s owned by Jocie Sinauer, but back then she didn’t have a website so I had no place to point you online. I’ve been shopping at this store for 6 years and highly suggest a visit if you love Swedish and French antiques and flea market finds and you find yourself in historic Peterborough, NH.

Red Chair Antiques in New HampshireRed Chair Antiques in New Hampshire
We visit Red Chair at least one Sunday each month, so while the website is great, nothing tops the smell of fresh picked lavender as you enter this large store painted in muted gray and blue tones, filled with Swedish antiques (think curvy chairs covered in natural linen + iron beds), vintage linens from France, thousands of bits like buttons, shells, vintage postcards & photos, textile remnants, and lovely displays scattered throughout this little slice of antique heaven. Directly across from Red Chair is another store called Cross Road (blogged 3/06) that is a huge garden shop/interiors store (succulents in rusty urns, paintings of the New Hampshire countryside, and mercury glass birds) and near to that are a few galleries for art and a delicious restaurant with a kitchenwares/gourmet food store inside. If you visit Peterborough in the future, here’s a link to shopping in their little town center (more like a quaint village, highly suggest visiting in October, hands down the best month in New Hampshire!).

I hope you enjoyed looking at my favorite little shop. Do you have a local shop that you’d consider your favorite? I’m always looking to add to the decor8 shopping links and fill them with stores you love, so please comment below no matter where you live. Thank you. :)

(images from red chair, 2nd image taken by me with permission.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply domesticated_desk July 25, 2007 at 8:16 pm

Hi! I fall victim of being drawn to images first and immediately fell in love with this shop, and googled before reading what you had to say about it! I am excited to know it is only 3 hours from me (I live in VT). Thank you so much for featuring it and I can’t wait to explore it myself. Do you know of any other great places to shop for antiques etc. in New England? thanks–Dd

• Reply Anne in Oxfordshire July 25, 2007 at 9:24 pm

How I wish you meant “Peterborough” in England…what a delightful shop.

• Reply Leyre July 25, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Thank you so much for blogging about this, I’ve been wanting to shop at more antique/thrift shops but I can’t seem to find any good ones. I live in MA but this isn’t too far, and I’m vacationing in NH in September anyway so I’ll be sure to stop by!

• Reply Kelly July 25, 2007 at 10:34 pm

I laughed when you wrote “she can linger, explore, touch everything” my husband always teases me when we’re out shopping because I can’t resist touching things – it’s so tempting!

I live in Seattle – here is one of my favorite shops for exploring:
    And another great little shop for cards & paper:

• Reply Kerri July 26, 2007 at 12:40 am

My favorite place down here in Texas is Southwestern Elegance. It is chock full of primitive furniture and lots of other little treasures. I can afford *little* stuff throughout the year, but if I want a piece of furniture, I have to wait for the Thanksgiving 1/2 price sale.

Red Chair Antiques looks like a dream. I wish I could visit it; I will just have to be satisfied with your lovely pictures.

I truly enjoy your blog!

• Reply Jenna July 26, 2007 at 1:21 am

Ooh I have a few for you. I’m in Houston TX, but I only just moved here from NH, and was raised in Wilton :)

There’s a great place in Hillsboro NH right on Main street. For some reason I simply cannot remember the name (can’t find it online either. grr) but it looks just like the place you blogged about. The other place you may want to hit is Scontsas home decor on Main St. in Nashua NH. There is actually two or three of them on that street. All very cool, very interesting. OH.. and there’s a great new place on Main Street in Wilton too :)

I’ve read your blog for quite awhile, never knew you were from NH.

• Reply Catherine July 26, 2007 at 1:28 am

That is my perfect shop! I love places like that even though they are such rare places. We have one store like that where I live
    it used to be far more cluttered like your store. Lots of antiques and junk furniture that you perhaps wouldn’t normally buy, except that they were presented and arranged in a way that made them so perfect and you had to take something home.

• Reply Jennifer July 26, 2007 at 1:45 am

Ah, I miss New England where I spent alll my summers growing up. I always say, “Detroit rocks!”

But New Hampshire sings.

• Reply Liz July 26, 2007 at 1:50 am

I love that shop, it was just about a year ago that I was in Peterborough visiting bro and sis in law and nephew, and I picked out buttons from that very box, with the help of the very-well-shop-behaved-3-yr-old nephew… great shop!

• Reply kapcity July 26, 2007 at 3:38 am

what an amazing little shop! wow
    can’t wait to take a little trip up there when i visit my family in vermont. perfect day trip!

• Reply July 26, 2007 at 6:08 am

Hi there… if you love Red Chair, you will *love* Red Ticking… it’s located in Seattle, WA and I have a description and photo here:

The shop owner Pam Ribonson was featured in Cottage Living about 3 moths ago.

Thaks for sharing your favorite store. I feel the same way about Red Ticking… I go ever Saturday. It’s a thrill to see her product and her displays.

Also – I totally agrew with Kelly… Lucca in Seattle is awesome – both Lucca Statuary and Lucca Great Finds.

• Reply vineeta July 26, 2007 at 7:45 am

Theres nothing like a nice little shop near your place where you can browse to your hearts content. this one looks particularly interesting. the more the stuff the better :)

• Reply daisy cottage July 26, 2007 at 12:26 pm

hmmm – I just found a few that I blogged about. Lots and lots of eye candy in these Florida shops!

• Reply Bri July 26, 2007 at 3:16 pm

There’s a new-ish store in Kansas City that I love, called bon bon atelier–they have everything, antiques, new designers, local designers, books- everything I love! The website is, but it doesn’t do it justice! In person it is definately a store to explore!

• Reply decor8 July 26, 2007 at 3:41 pm

Liz – That is so neat that you’ve been to Red Chair. :)

Leyre – You have to visit, you’ll really like it.

Kelly – I’m very tactile, as I see you are too. I’m not sure why but I have been like this since forever.

Jenna – You were raised in Wilton? Get outta here! I’m not from NH, I grew up in SC and then relocated to Boston which brought me to NH a few years ago. I’m in Hollis, which I’m sure you’ve heard of. I love this town.

Decorno – I have to go read your blog about Red Ticking. Want to know something funny? I met Pam at Brimfield (antiques market) in May. I was purchasing some chairs and she was at the same booth buying things for her store and I just started talking to her about it because I’ll talk to a tree really… But she was so friendly and warm and we had a great chat – exchanged contact info and everything. We recently exchanged emails too.

• Reply Megan July 26, 2007 at 4:44 pm

Lovely shop! I used to live in Wilton, NH (briefly) and had no idea about it.I now live in Westford, MA (not far from NH border) and there’s a cute store on Main St. called “Sweet Peas About the Home” ( that has great decorating pieces and little gifty things. Lots of rooms to go through since it’s an old house.
    (I have a few friends in Hollis!)

• Reply The Paris Apartment July 27, 2007 at 2:20 am

now that’s a good reason to visit new hampshire! fantastic pics too!