Globes as Decor

I’ve been scouting for globes for a few months now because I’ve always loved having a quick view of the world to keep things in perspective plus I love to travel and they remind me of how excited I felt as a child when I first saw one in school, fascinated to find out that America was not the world, just a very small part of it (I think some adults still need this reminder). So I’ve been looking for the perfect blue sphere to add my credenza at home, but not a brand new one… Something vintage and a bit worn. And it must be blue. Like the one in this photo.

So I went where everyone heads when they need a blast from the past, eBay. And get this, I won a tin globe last night, it’s from the 30′s in excellent condition, measuring only 10 x 7 so it’s perfect for the spot I’m looking to place it. I was up against 25 others biddings on it so I was scared to lose because eBay collectors can be a bit psycho. Then along comes a non-collector like me and I won. That’s the beauty of the auction. I can’t wait until it arrives, do you like it?

I like that the stand appears to be a gorgeous saffron yellow. I’m really excited to see it in person. Here are some globes on eBay if you’d fancy owning one yourself.

Look at all the globes in this collection, aren’t they gorgeous? I found this photo on Happy Mundane where stylish Jon mentioned that globes may very well be the next trend. That image above is a picture from BH&G magazines taken in the beach home of a Boston couple (Aug 07). Maybe he’s right, because I’ve been looking for globes since Spring and now I’m starting to see them popping up more and more, but not large old school globes, I’m finding smaller ones and even those without stands to pile in a bowl.

Here’s a few I found just in case you’ve been looking to add a nice globe to your decor. But I’m not so sure about these, I’m way more interested in the vintage ones with the blue spheres. Here’s some Parisian globes from Anthropologie (in black or cream), and a set of three globe spheres and a tabletop globe from Ballard Designs. If you find any blue reproductions, let me know. Otherwise, I think we all need to hit eBay for the vintage gems. They’re so pretty!

And if you aren’t into globes, vintage maps make for beautiful art or use several to collage onto a wall to mimic wallpaper. I’d love to see someone wallpaper an entire wall with blue vintage maps.

(top image: art.com, others from ebay, happy mundane, ballard designs, and anthropologie.)

Posted by decor8 in trends on July 27, 2007

1. Ele commented
    July 27th, 2007 at 4:48pm

I love globes, but I’m an earth scientist. :) We covered a wall at work with a giant map of the world (all bathymetric charts, which we wallpapered to a cyan painted wall). It looks great (if I do say so myself) and charts (“maps”, to those who don’t spend time at sea) are actually cheaper than wallpaper!

2. vineeta commented
    July 27th, 2007 at 6:02pm

What a Super interesting post!! i love it. I love the thought of globes as decor objects & the differnt ones you’ve featured is awesome.

3. Jennifer commented
    July 27th, 2007 at 6:13pm

This is a trend that could have global proportions.

4. lecochonrouge commented
    July 27th, 2007 at 6:30pm

I remember a nice spread in Domino (two or three months ago?) that pictured a beautiful mix of globes. I, like you, really love the smaller blue ones. Nice find!

5. did commented
    July 27th, 2007 at 6:41pm

6. LauraB commented
    July 27th, 2007 at 9:17pm

Oh yeah, I’ve noticed this trend too and think it’s great! They add a really sophisticated look I think. The black set of 3 from Anthro. I’ve been eyeing for awhile.

7. dreamhouse commented
    July 27th, 2007 at 10:26pm

beautiful beautiful! I love the first pictures and the globes are fantastic! xx

8. lharwin commented
    July 27th, 2007 at 10:56pm

Too funny! I bought one a few months back at a yard sale — larger and cream, with a walnut stand. It’s absolutely perfect in my office and it was definitely a bargain.

9. Kristin commented
    July 29th, 2007 at 12:15am

I love globes, too. I especially love the image from Happy Mundane’s blog – it is beautiful! Isn’t it great when people take ordinary, everyday objects and turn them into amazing accessories that you suddenly drool over?

10. deerseason87 commented
    July 29th, 2007 at 12:57pm

My boyfriend used to work for a hauling company, which was great because he got his choice of all kinds of things from people’s houses, and he started collecting globes for me. Now I have a fair collection, and my preference is always for the snall tin ones like yours. You can see some of mine here!

11. meg commented
    July 30th, 2007 at 9:32pm

Oh, no – this is so dangerous! Now I’ve found myself addicted to looking at all the globes on eBay. I’m always interested in finding something fun and quirky to collect (I’d heard of someone who once collected hundreds of rolling pins – ?!) – so this is a fun recommendation. But, honestly – so addictive; even the little ones can add up if you buy enough to make it a good enough “collection.” Thanks!