Thanks Adorn Magazine!

Remember how I posted about being Hopeful last week? My Hopeful print arrived yesterday, and you know what’s funny about timing and life in general? In the same stack of mail I found an envelope containing the brand new issue of Adorn magazine (Fall ’07, will be out any day now) with a room I pulled together for them — a two page spread! And since this issue of Adorn is the same size as a regular magazine, the pictures are larger and look beautiful. I am thrilled.

Last week, some not-so-good news came to us from a close family member so we could only be hopeful that better health would come to them. And it did and now that person is better. But the stress of it all impacted me greatly. When the hopeful print arrived yesterday, it was an instant reminder that things turned out okay and as a family, we got through it. And then the next thing I opened was the envelope containing this issue of Adorn, which I did not expect for at least another week or two. This was further reminder that in life, bad things happen but they don’t stay around too long because then goodness comes flooding in. Life is like that sometimes, isn’t it?

Here are the original photos, taken by photographer Jack Deutsch. Nice work, Jack! And Kayte Terry took all the ideas and everything I arranged and styled it just how I imagined. She is amazingly talented. Adorn is very lucky to have Kayte on board. She is also the blogger behind This Love Forever and an etsy seller under the same name. And this article isn’t all about my room, Adorn also had Kayte design one and Gregory Han (aka TypeFiend on Live Journal and flickr) from Apartment Therapy LA. You have to pick up the issue, Gregory and Kayte really went for it with their designs. I loved seeing how everyone took the idea of designing around a single chair from a big box retailer and then put their spin on how they’d design a space around it.

And you know what is even more thrilling? A loyal reader and talented artist, Anne from Florida, sent me a painting of the room to show her support. I shared this room a few months ago when Adorn sent me the final images and she transformed the image into a watercolor painting, and she sent it to me as a gift. (The print is now available in her etsy store.) Isn’t that the nicest gesture? Anne will paint your room too, or your house (makes a great gift), or anything else you are proud of if you are interested for under $150 for an original. So thank you Anne for making my Adorn appearance one that will last for years to come because your painting is soon to be displayed on my wall. And thank you Adorn for asking me to contribute to your magazine, I can officially cross one dream from my list thanks to you.

My room design was inspired by my friend Danielle (and she doesn’t even know it yet but I played pretend: she was my client, he he) and a painting I first saw at Three Graces Gallery in Portsmouth, NH by Bailey Saliwanshik. A little story about the painting: after months and months of still wanting it and turning the idea of owning it over and over in my head, after the photo shoot I contacted Bailey and just purchased it. I think any piece of art that you want for so many months is a sign that perhaps you should save up and buy it. Although most times, you take the risk of losing the piece because it may be sold. In this case, I think it was just meant to be. Here it is in my home, waiting to be installed. It also has a new frame, since I wanted something lighter.

I think the other painting used in the shoot is still available though, in case you are interested, click here.

(images from holly becker, jack deutsch and adorn magazine)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on August 02, 2007

1. erin scissorhands commented
    August 2nd, 2007 at 9:31pm

wow holly! this is awesome!

2. Victoria E commented
    August 2nd, 2007 at 9:53pm

Life is “funny” like that and just when you drop down in the dumps, something bring you back up – tis the rollercoaster of living. I am so glad to hear that your work is getting so much attention – you serve as an inspiration!

3. paola commented
    August 2nd, 2007 at 10:17pm

Great room Holly! I didn’t see the original pics when you posted them. You really are talented.
    (Have never read Adorn before, but will have to buy it when it comes out).

4. Carlene commented
    August 2nd, 2007 at 10:37pm

What a great room! I can’t wait to buy the magazine! Congratulations (and I love the Hopeful print).

5. Anonymous commented
    August 2nd, 2007 at 10:46pm

Yeah, God is good isn’t he Holly!?

6. decor8 commented
    August 2nd, 2007 at 11:02pm

Paola, I didn’t post them on the my blog b/c I wasn’t allowed so I emailed the image to Miss Anne. :)

Thank you all for being supportive. I try not to talk about my work on decor8 very often, but something like this I HAD to share.

7. rosana commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 12:28am

Just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog
    I am a Design student and use your blog regularly as design research. I was so inspired by your blog that i decided to start a student blog http://textilesinspirations.wordpress.com/ which will allow you to download free paper projects within my blog.

8. corine commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 12:36am

This is all wonderful, and boy is that drawing lovely! I had not realized it took such a village of professional, talented people to come up with a magazine spread, naive me.

9. jaime commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 1:27am

wow that is so beautiful Holly!

10. Amy commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 4:13am

im in that issue too! I am so thrilled to be in the same magazine as yours, miss Holly :D

11. Heather Moore commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 6:31am

Oh, congratulations. It must be so exciting to see the room you worked so hard at there on the glossy page. Well done, and thanks for another great week of inspiring posts.
    Heather

12. Sofia Barao commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 7:39am

wonderful art, love the composition of it all. The found objects just my type of thing.I love this magazine (I have one number of it). Congratulations Holly

13. Yvonne commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 7:40am

What a beautiful spread. Congratulations Holly and thanks so much for all the great links and inspiration. Well done!!

14. bowie style commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 12:40pm

i love adorn magazine, and decor8 -so what a perfect combination.
    if anyone from adorn mag is reading – please, please, get borders here in the UK to stock it.

15. stacy commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 1:20pm

I’m excited to get my issue in the mail so I can see your spread! Congratulations!

16. Funky Finds commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 1:32pm

how wonderful! i need to get myself a copy this weekend!

17. Julie at BV commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 2:30pm

I really love what you did with the room. It has a very organic feeling.

P.S According to Kabbalah when there is a negative situation in our lives that is a sign of a big revelation of light coming after it. Congratulations.

18. Rachel commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 2:33pm

fantastic! congrats on your magazine spread. it came out just beautifully. you are an inspiration to us all, Holly.

19. kayte commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 2:44pm

yay! i’m so glad you are pleased with your room! and that painting is amazing.
    we should collaborate again sometime…

20. JHill commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 4:18pm

congrats holly! that is so exciting. I’ve never checked out adorn but i will have to get myself a copy. i love love love the painting anne did for you, what a great idea.
    glad to hear things are looking up.

21. danielle commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 5:29pm

It is beautiful Holly. I didn’t know that I was your ‘client’! You certainly did a terrific job because I immediately loved the room when I saw the images on Flickr. I am proud to be your ‘client!

I hope your family member will be better soon!

22. decor8 commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 10:28pm

Once again, all the ladies come through with votes of confidence. Thank you all very much because it means a lot to hear.

23. Maryam in Marrakesh commented
    August 3rd, 2007 at 10:30pm

Holy yowza. This is all fabulous from start to finish. So happy for you!

24. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 4th, 2007 at 2:46am

Congratulations Holly! What a lovely room!

25. typefiend commented
    August 8th, 2007 at 9:57pm

Hey, that’s awesome! EXCEPT, I never got my issue. But I’m glad it’s finally coming out and I’m in such wonderful company, and will contact them for a copy too :)