China Sprout

I was just thinking about Chinese design the other day, so the link to China Sprout from reader Kristi came at the perfect time. I want to plan a dinner party around an Asian theme with lots of teal, white, turquoise, pink, and white (vs. the traditional red) and this may be the perfect place to start scouting for decorative finds.

Here are some of the things I would use at my party. And of course, it would be take-out because I’d want to put all the thought into the decorating and it would need to be somewhat of a ‘party in a box’, I could just pull out my Chinese things, set up, order take-out, and call over my friends. And lots of Arizona tea bottles (because they are so pretty), and a few bottles of sake of course. Actually wait a minute. Our friends are coming down from Montreal this weekend…. Hmm. Maybe an outdoor party in my backyard? What do you think? Could I pull this off in only a few days?

Oh, and I was just thinking about take-out boxes and how cute they are, but imagine if they had them in colors? And so I googled it and viola! Chinese take-out boxes in colors and patterns, including pink! It would be fun to use these to serve desserts from the Chinese bakery. White for food, pink for desserts and fresh lychee. Yum.

Or I could go with these tin plates from Mottahedeh. So pretty and $45 a set for plates that won’t break sounds good to me.

And of course, a party wouldn’t be a party without a pretty tablecloth. I’d like a patchwork tablecloth in these Amy Butler prints from Purl for the table. (I love Purl.) And of course, flowers spilling out of simple glass jars tied with ribbon in your accent colors. Keep it simple, ya know?

Psst: The Oriental Trading Company is another great one, I’ve been ordering from them since I was 15 years old and they have great stuff, but mostly in bulk… Just search under keyword “chinese” to find things to fit this particular theme.

Thanks Kristi for the China Sprout tip.

(images from china sprout)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration, kitchen on August 28, 2007

1. Marisa and Creative Thursday commented
    August 28th, 2007 at 10:09pm

Absolutely you can pull it off! I’m loving this theme idea to the party and also feel very inspired by the asian design theme as well.

2. decor8 commented
    August 28th, 2007 at 10:34pm

Marisa with your patio out there in sunny L.A. I’d love to see you do something like this and post photos when you do. I’m going to do my best to pull something together for Saturday with our friends. ;) And I’ll post piccies if I do!

3. Calie Anderson, C.I.D. commented
    August 28th, 2007 at 10:37pm

Lovely idea Holly. I’m sure you can pull it off! Make sure to take pictures and post them here for us to see.

4. OpaqueSkies commented
    August 28th, 2007 at 11:13pm

ooohh, aaaaahhh. Like it. Here’s an idea for the take out boxes that I have long loved.

5. Anonymous commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 12:36am

Oh, come on…you know you could so pull this off with your chic self! I can not wait to see and hear about the details! It will be awesome!!!!! Have Fun :-)

6. Anonymous commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 2:43am

I suggest you check out Pearl River in NYC. They are one of my favourite spots when I am in NY and they have a good online website – I think its http://www.pearlriver.com but you may want to google it…
    alison aka sylphofthestitch

7. Anonymous commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 8:04am

There is a great store in Chinatown (L.A.) called Realm. They have art, glass & table ware, vases, etc. I love to buy gifts here. Their website is limited compared to all that is available in the store. It is worth the trip to the store! Plus, there is a cafe with really good spring rolls a few doors down. http://www.realmhome.com

Joleen

8. Anonymous commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 12:34pm

Hello,
    I am wondering if anyone has any great links about Korean design. Thanks!

9. KiWi commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 1:35pm

I used to use those Arizona green tea bottles as vases when I was a bohemian. They are so pretty.

10. Brooke commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 4:21pm

I’ve know the owners of Arizona for sometime now, and the mother of the family actually designs the bottles. I believe she brought in a Japanese artist to collaborate with on those. . . little bit of background info for you :)

11. IMEDAGOZE commented
    August 30th, 2007 at 6:47pm

looks like you’re going to have a fabulous party, Holly. They are all great picks!

12. pruh commented
    August 31st, 2007 at 2:23pm

O, I want all this stuff!

13. vineeta commented
    September 3rd, 2007 at 11:12am

What pretty stuff! So looking forward to seeing pictures & hearing about it :)