Thomaspaul *New* Lighting

Have you checked out the new lighting collection by Thomaspaul? Although I really like it, the prices will keep me away from some of them as I think $500+ is a hefty price for a basic floor lamp. But that’s just me. I do love the bases – great shapes, and the shades are spectacular, I especially like the bold modern pendants.

My favorite is the Flora Aqua priced at $231 and for a pendant (top left), I would pay this so the price is right within my budget. And that pattern is great.

(images from 2modern)

Posted by decor8 in lighting on August 28, 2007

1. Jaime commented
    August 28th, 2007 at 5:34pm

I like the Marie Aqua Table Lamp best I think.

2. Another Shade of Grey commented
    August 28th, 2007 at 5:51pm

They are beautiful, but talk about a markup. That’s highway robbery. I’ve worked in the lighting industry and these cost a mere pittance to make.

3. Rachel commented
    August 28th, 2007 at 10:51pm

That blue pedastal lamp is very similar to a cheaper version at uo for about $36. Then we just need to find some simalar textile, and we’d have a pretty good knockoff.

4. Brooke commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 4:01pm

Although I’m huge Thomas Paul fan (met him last week!), these are very Urban Outfitters to me.

5. Anonymous commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 4:10pm

The difference being that these are high quality lamps that are made in the United States. The Urban Outfitters versions are cheap resin, made en mass in China, and will probably break within the year.

Everyone always complains about how cool the Target and Urban stuff looks design wise, but is cheaply made. Then when presented with a quality item, people balk at the price. You get what you pay for and you can not have it both ways.

6. decor8 commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 5:03pm

I have to agree with anon that in *some* cases you do get what you pay for. It’s good to know that this is the case for Thomaspaul lighting. I think he has beautiful designs so this is great news.

However I also know that some people do not require uber high quality floor lighting, so why not make it here in America, a few grades up from the “Made in China” version, and sell it at a more affordable price so that good design is available to more than just the few that can afford it? I think that some designers are missing the point here, that most are supporting “Made in China” wares because of ONE reason. That is what they can afford. When you have children to feed and rent to pay, and are living from paycheck to paycheck, it’s hard to imagine spending hundreds of dollars on a floor lamp.

Not everyone is out buying Manolo’s and YSL bags, although pop culture would like to make us think that we SHOULD be and what’s the problem that we don’t own a closet full of Chloe? Of course, we love these things, but they are designed for a different market – a class of people that either 1) Don’t mind being consumed in credit card debt in order to buy these things or 2) Actually have the income to shop for these items freely.

I fit in neither category, same with most decor8 readers, and although I will spend money on items that I am certain are made well, I don’t think the Thomaspaul lighting is marketed as “quality” as much as “trendy”. For instance, I didn’t even know that these lamps were NOT mass produced. I am so happy to know that they are. Again, his work is really great.

I think the bottom line is that we CAN have it both ways – but with money being the driving force behind most design, and of course with so many designers fighting to be the ‘next big thing’ – a huge cultural problem as I call it – I think that finding affordable, good design is becoming more and more rare. You can’t even shop at Salvation Army for mid century furniture anymore because dealers go in and scoop it all up and resell it 5x the price.

I could write a book about this, so I’ll end here!!!

7. Another Shade of Grey commented
    August 29th, 2007 at 8:38pm

I agree Holly. In the end, the net profit would be the same, so why not seller cheaper quality items to the masses in large quantities as opposed to “high end” pricey items to a few. I think good design should be available to all.