DesignMyRoom

Jesse from Swatchbox Technologies told me about a new site they’ve launched called DesignMyRoom that allows you to decorate a room virtually using either your own photo or one of the rooms in their library. I haven’t tested it yet since I family here for a few days, and then friends coming in from Montreal so I’ve been running around crazy, but if you’re bored at work today perhaps you can test it out and report in on what you think. I’d love to know. :)

It works like this. You first upload a photo of your own room or select an empty room from their website. Then you decorate it by adding paint, flooring, furniture, etc. You can resize, move, and rotate objects as you see fit. Then you can opt to share it with the community at DesignMyRoom for feedback. Beyond that, I’m not really sure what other features this site offers, but I’m interested in testing the waters next week when I’m back at my desk. It looks pretty cool! Thanks Jesse for the headsup!

(image from designmyroom)

Posted by decor8 in diy, inspiration on August 31, 2007

1. Anonymous commented
    August 31st, 2007 at 4:25pm

I just found out pier1 no longer has an online store, which is extremely disappointing and sent them a message suggesting they go return the online store. What do you think of this change?

2. Anonymous commented
    August 31st, 2007 at 9:10pm

It’s Robert Verdi!!

Can’t wait to try it out.

3. ?? Neumann Studio cz ?? commented
    August 31st, 2007 at 9:26pm

Wau this is great! I am going to try for sure. Thanks!!!

4. eva commented
    September 1st, 2007 at 9:00am

Oh, I HAVE to try this out!
    We have bought our first apartment and I decided to go with Thai/Asian style. However there is a BIG challenge – we have two boys (9 Y and 1,5 Y). And I really don`t know how should I make children’s room according to main style line.
    If You could point out some good tips or links I `d be more than thankful!

And, just for the record, I enjoy Your brilliant blog immensely! Thanks!

5. Anonymous commented
    September 2nd, 2007 at 4:54am

Well, what do you think about Pier1?

6. melliemell commented
    September 2nd, 2007 at 3:31pm

I played around with this a little… I am going to redo my bathroom at some point, so I thought it might help to jump start my plans for that project. While it was useful to play around with color ideas (the paint tool is nice), the tile and counter options are limited. When it came time to add bathroom fixtures, the navigation was not very helpful in narrowing down the options to faucets, so I gave up. I am not sure I would use this, except maybe to see how colors work together.

7. Anonymous commented
    September 2nd, 2007 at 7:32pm

I was doing fine ’til I tried to put drapes on my side window, couldn’t figure that out.

8. decor8 commented
    September 3rd, 2007 at 3:02pm

Anon, I do not shop at Pier 1 very often, but when I have it was always in store and not online. I’ve never shopped Pier 1 online so this change doesn’t affect me either way. Pier 1 is great for bookcases, lamps, desks, chairs, rugs, and accessories. But I’m not keen on their sofas, dining sets, and larger pieces simply because it’s not my style.

9. Anonymous commented
    September 3rd, 2007 at 4:58pm

yeah, I tried playing around with this site tools too, but got very frustrated, as many of the tools were not very handy, and the navigation just did not flow vry well for me, you kind of had to guess on what does what…

10. PeterK commented
    September 5th, 2007 at 10:11am

Looks great and a wonderful addition to the handy 2D Floorplan tool I’ve been using at http://www.floorplanner.com. Webtools like this are almost becoming viable alternatives for desktop applications…