Reader Questions

Reader Q: Office Chair HELP!

September 5, 2007

Marilyn Patrizio wrote to me asking if we could help her find a sleek yet comfortable office chair. She is looking for something around $250 or less. I instantly thought of Nicole from Making It Lovely and this post where she pulled together 9 office chairs in white that she likes – click here for details.

Reader Q: Office Chair HELP!
Maybe Marilyn will like one of these… Or, if you have any others in mind, please comment below as I know Ms. Patrizio is looking to order something ASAP as her current office chair has snapped in two! :(

(image from making it lovely)

13 Comments

• Reply olga*orange September 5, 2007 at 6:14 pm

[sorry if this is a double post — I can’t tell if it worked the first time]

I love the Ikea Jakob chair — I even prefer it to my similar but overpriced Kartell Catifa desk chair. I think the Jakob is pretty comfortable too (Ikea is really stepping up quality in some regards). Still, I get up all the time when I’m supposed to be working, so maybe my standards for comfort are low… Good luck, and stay away from the cute, cheap, but hideously uncomfortable Ikea Snille!

• Reply M. Patrizio September 5, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for the first-hand feedback! I’m loving the idea of a white chair! I didn’t even think about that before!

• Reply Leah September 5, 2007 at 7:04 pm

Hi Holly and Marilyn,

I have a similar office-chair quandary (I want something comfortable and ergonomic, but also attactive and affordable — a very difficult combo to find), and did a blog post awhile back weighing the pros and cons of a dozen different desk chairs. You can find it here if you’re interested:

Several readers wrote in with other suggestions, as well.

Best of luck with your search!

Leah

• Reply Sidsel Gaustadnes September 5, 2007 at 9:34 pm

I?ve done a little research on dinning chairs inspired by Nicoles search, I?m not sure if they are comfy enough as desk chairs – but have a look.

• Reply M. Patrizio September 6, 2007 at 12:51 am

I think the chair I am looking for would need good back support, adjustable heights, casters and could support wide butts.

• Reply sfgirlbybay September 6, 2007 at 4:15 am

i have to say, i’m loving my ikea
    Skruvsta chair – it’s really comfortable, swivels, is on casters and i made a fun new cushion for it. it’s really a great chair!

• Reply Julieta September 6, 2007 at 5:47 am

sfgirl beat me to it. That’s exactly the chair I was going to recommend. Great chair, great price!

• Reply M. Patrizio September 6, 2007 at 5:53 pm

Is the Skruvsta okay for working long hours (sitting 8-10 hours)?

• Reply sfgirlbybay September 7, 2007 at 4:51 am

well, that i can’t say, but i’ve sat there blogging for at least three and been quite content.

• Reply sfgirlbybay September 7, 2007 at 4:53 am

p.s. it seems like the skruvsta is more ‘flexible’ than any of the other pictured chairs, too. they’re all lovely, but the skruvsta swivels and rolls, which i think helps me sit for long periods of time – it moves with you when you get restless.

• Reply M. Patrizio September 9, 2007 at 6:21 pm

Thanks everybody for your help! I ended up getting one of the Skruvsta chairs this weekend. So far, so comfy!

• Reply Anonymous September 12, 2007 at 8:40 pm

Moderndose.com sells great and affordable repros of the Tulip chairs!

• Reply chairgirl February 10, 2009 at 2:37 pm

It’s true that a lot of office chairs can be pretty dull looking, but we carry a few lines that are really stylish — check here:

chairgirls last blog post: Day Glo Design