Plate Hangers: Simple DIY

As hard as I try to like them, I really have issues with double spring wire plate hangers, especially since one just left a crack in my Lena Corwin plate. So I’ve been on the hunt for something that won’t scratch or crack my precious Lena melamine and I found a solution that really works for me.

Did you know that adhesive plate discs exist? They stick to the back of your plates and when installed, no hook or holder is visible. Perfect! They’re imported from England and available at your local A.C. Moore for $3.99 each, where I purchased mine yesterday. What happens in the future when you want to remove them? Just soak the plates in warm water and the disc loosens and you can simply peel it off. They come in all sizes, can be trimmed to fit, and the larger disc can support a 6.5 lb plate.

Since the instructions on both the disc and the web do not make mention of using them on melamine, I decided to experiment with things myself to see if the disc would stick to a plastic plate. After allowing the glue to dry overnight, the discs are bonded to the plate and I have no concerns about them separating. Of course, I also used clear duct tape over the disc to secure them, just in case the disc adhesive isn’t enough.

You simply wet the disc and rub the glue around with your finger.

Then you position it on the back of your plate. Next use CLEAR duct tape and secure over the disc and plate on the back. Wait 24 hours and you’re done. You can hang them on your wall.

I think these discs answer a question I’ve had since viewing this image in Living Etc. ages ago – how did they install them? It looks like some have wire holders, others do not. The image isn’t clear enough for me to see. But I know this for sure, I would prefer to do things my way – no visible holders. And though I can’t be sure, I’m thinking it would be easy with these disc plate holders and a few tiny wood blocks (from the craft store) in varying heights painted the same color as your walls, screwed into the wall, for the lovely three dimensional effect.

(images from holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in diy on September 13, 2007

1. Anonymous commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:01pm

Thank you! thank you! thank you! I hate those hideous wire plate holders & have also been searching high & low for a more aesthetic solution. This idea is simple & elegant.

2. erin scissorhands commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:09pm

thank you so much for posting this! finally, i don’t have a reason not to buy pretty plates when i see them (i always cringe when i think about traditional hangers!) yay!

3. inkjet designer commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:11pm

i used to paint plates for a living and those wire hangers were always a pain. this is a great alternative.

4. beki commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:16pm

THanks so much for letting us know about these! I love deocrating with plates, but HATE those spring thingies.

5. Susy commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:23pm

SO COOL! There are so many times I don’t buy plates because I know I’ll never use them. But…this solves that little problem. hee hee. I can just see myself buying more plates, asap.

6. Nic commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:26pm

Anyone have any ideas for really simple looking plate easels?

7. jen j-m commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:26pm

you’re a smarty. i hate those boingy wire ones!

8. LaurenAlane commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:26pm

We used vintage dessert plates at our wedding and I have a whole stash that I’ve been dying to hang–but I hated those ugly wire hangers! This is absolutely wonderful!

9. PreciousStyle.blogspot.com commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:45pm

That is a great great find. Thank you for sharing.

10. Anonymous commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 3:47pm

You must be in my head as I have been looking for a solution other than wire hangers, plate racks, and picture ledges. I will be at ac moore this afternoon.

11. Victoria E commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 4:06pm

How ingenious – though I would be curious to know how well it holds and what the glue is actually made from.

12. jessilynn commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 4:34pm

Wow, how inspiring! That last image has me wanting to hunt down some plates for myself. :)

And… so nice to know how to easily hang them!

13. Another Shade of Grey commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 4:55pm

That is great to know. I detest those wiry plate hangers as well.

14. magbot commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 5:12pm

These are cool but don’t solve the problem I have with icky wire hangers. I have a collection of 1950s Georges Briard square glass plates I want to hang, and don’t want to see hanger behind them. Here’s a sample of what some of them look like:

Anyone have a suggestion for me?

15. lucy commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 5:13pm

I’ve used these for some small plates in my guest room. A word of caution: Make sure you get the disk really wet to activate the glue, press it in place completely and firmly, and then make sure it’s completely dry before hanging. I think I didn’t get one of the disks wet enough, and lost a pretty vintage plate when it fell off the disk a few days after hanging it.

That said, the other plate was fine, and I got a large one for a huge plate I have hanging in my laundry room. Over a year later, it’s still hanging there just fine!

16. JenniferDC commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 5:34pm

Umm, Holly, will you keep us posted? I tried these on my Thomas Paul plates, and the fell down after a few days. I just concluded that there was a reason that the manufacturer didn’t mention melamine as one of the surfaces to which the adhesive would stick…my plates are back on boring photo shelves, still trying to come up with a hanging solution.

17. Holly commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 5:45pm

What a great invention! Now I can actually pick up some pretty plates, and not have to worry about hanging them from the traditional hangers that I dislike. Thanks for sharing!

18. Sarah commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 5:54pm

Yes, thank you, Holly! I love scrounging through the sale bin for pretty plates at Anthropologie, but those darn wire plate holders aren’t secure enough to hold them and they look so cheap.

P.S. *where* did you get that adorable fork and spoon tea towel?

19. decor8 commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 6:13pm

Jennifer – I’m sure the coating on melamine varies from one manufacturer to the next. But you know what, melamine isn’t sacred, so just use clear duct tape to secure the disc to the back of the plate and you can still use the hook. Duct tape is the oldest trick in the book and when you need to remove it, peel it off and then soak it in warm water and scrap off whatever is left.

20. decor8 commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 6:14pm

sarah – That towel is from Kmart, last year sometime. The Kmart Somerville, MA.

21. Funky Finds commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 6:21pm

great find…i need these! we don’t have ac moore in texas, but i did a search online & the container store carries the same ones. you can buy online, too.

22. Anonymous commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 7:06pm

I hate the wire hangers too but worry a bit about the security of these with glass plates a la John Derian.
    Has anyone out there tried them on heavier items?

23. brandon & brittany commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 7:09pm

hey, i was wondering if i could post one of your images on my blog, i posted about your post on plate hanging(and told my readers to check your post out) and would just love it if i could use the image of the blue plates?

24. decor8 commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 7:11pm

That image is from Living Etc so yes, that is fine if you post it as long as you credit the source and put a link to the Living Etc website somewhere in the post.

25. Peggy commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 8:26pm

Omigosh – thanks for the great tip! Now I can finally hang plates! Hooray!

26. Miranda commented
    September 13th, 2007 at 10:29pm

Thanks for this tip, Holly! You read my mind. I was battling last night with a wire plate hanger and was worried it was going to damage my adorable new melamine plate. I’m going to get some of these hangers, too. BTW, I have some fave dish towels from KMart as well!

27. lharwin commented
    September 14th, 2007 at 4:40am

I bought several of these to hang some Block Langenthal plates that I treasure and picked up one tip…you can get them for MUCH cheaper on Ebay.

28. drey commented
    September 14th, 2007 at 8:21am

yeah this are great to use. even in rental beige horrors :) i’ve used them for years (in Australia, they are available in most hardware stores) and absolutely hide all hooks etc and stay on till you say no! :)

29. Heather Moore commented
    September 14th, 2007 at 8:38am

Ah, Holly, thanks for a much-needed solution.
    Have a great weekend,
    Heather

30. Anonymous commented
    September 14th, 2007 at 3:26pm

Industrial strength velcro works great for melamine too-but you have to repaint if your not careful if you want to remove the plate.

31. Colleen commented
    September 17th, 2007 at 8:09pm

The container store’s website had these on backorder, but this website seems to have plenty, for a flat $5 shipping rate: http://www.dischangers.com/index.php

Also, do you think this would work with aluminum trays/plates? They are pretty lightweight and I am not worried about damaging them…they are cheap ebay finds.

32. trixtrader commented
    February 21st, 2008 at 2:45pm

Any problems getting hold of these wonderful plate hangers try my site. http://www.arts-and-crafts-studio.co.uk/list_category.asp?id=8
    Best wishes

33. Frances Peterson commented
    November 26th, 2008 at 6:51pm

BEWARE! I bought an adhesive disc two weeks ago. I followed the directions precisely, checked it before hanging and all seemed well. Yesterday I bought more discs for some other plates. After I hung the new ones today, I stood back to admire them and noticed that my original plate had fallen off its disc. The disc was still on the wall and the plate was hanging precariously in a wreath below it; it had just missed hitting antique dishes on a table below. I am removing the new discs from my other plates and going back to the “ugly” hangers. I would rather risk some scratches than lose the whole plate.

34. decor8 commented
    November 26th, 2008 at 7:12pm

Did you use the duct tape Frances? That is what saved me.

35. Plate Hanger Fan commented
    July 10th, 2009 at 12:19am

I recently purchased these plate hangers from All Plate Hangers to hang my Southern Living at Home Terrace Appetizer Plates. They did not adhere to the plates. They refunded my money and indicated that they have had many complaints about the plate hangers not adhering to the Terrace Appetizer Plates. They indicated that they purchased the plates themselves, and could not get them to adhere. They were very helpful, and I have used the plate hangers on other projects without any problems.

36. decor8 commented
    July 10th, 2009 at 8:17am

Plate Hanger Fan – I know it’s not that classy, but you can always use clear strong duct tape to adhere the disc to the back of the plate if it comes off…

37. Daisy commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 8:23pm

Hi, the picture of the blue plates. I was wondering where I can get that in High Res.. Can I purchase it somewhere? I just love it.

38. daisy commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 8:25pm

Does the blue plate picture com ein high resolution? Can I purchase it from somewhere? I just love it!

39. Ann Australia commented
    February 19th, 2010 at 6:06pm

I purchased 12 of theses disks, I followed the instructions to the letter.
    I hung my James Kent and Royal Winton tea plate and saucer, 24 hours later. as instructed. WHAT happens three weeks later ? the disk leaves the item and they crash to the floor, UNREPARABLE.
    I will not be replacing the disks ever again. So buyer beware they are are not a trustworthy product.

40. decor8 commented
    February 19th, 2010 at 6:20pm

Ann that is terrible! Did you use the duct tape over the disk? That is the only way to avoid them from falling off, so I’m guessing maybe you didn’t because duct tape doesn’t just fall off of china. Take care.