Arts + Crafts, DIY

Art Wall

September 28, 2007

Here’s a peek at a little corner of my home in America (New Hampshire) where you’ll find some of my most recently acquired pieces of art.

Art Wall
If you recall, I painted a wall in my living room in pale turquoise blue about two weeks ago. A total last minute decision, motivated by my Julia Rothman print finally coming back from the frame shop. I decided on the color because I wanted to cool down all the warm tones in the space and create a sense of calm there since it’s where I like to go to relax. And because I miss living near the coast, the room brings a little of the ocean to me. The wall previously was a creamy white with yellow undertones and there was a large turquoise belly lamp with a white drum shade on the credenza with some ceramics and a pile of books. Nothing too exciting. On the wall, I had three pieces of art and leaning against the wall, my newly framed print.

Art Wall
After the paint dried, I grabbed a few of my more recent art purchases and in less than 20 minutes, pulled everything together and shot these photos. Why the rush? Trust me, it’s against my nature to not plan and measure, but per the request of Michelle Caplan, who needed images of her work in my home before I left for Germany, duty called! And I like how it came out.

Art Wall
Lesson learned from my mini redux: Practice what I preach and go with the flow, allow design to be fun, and don’t over think everything so much. Sometimes when you are in a design field, all you strive for is perfection and frankly, I’m sick of it – it’s quite limiting. I’m taking a new approach. It’s called Live A Little. I need to return to my spontaneous roots.

Sure, the lamp isn’t exactly what I want there, but for now I’m fine with it as it’s very low, provides ample lighting, and most importantly, it’s not a distraction – the art is the focal point.

Art Wall

Art Wall
If there’s anything you see in these photos that you’d like to know more about, please ask me in the comments section below. I can tell you where everything came from. :)

(images from holly becker for decor8)

23 Comments

• Reply vineeta September 28, 2007 at 1:13 pm

Gorgeous!!! You know Though it might have been a last minute decision for you to choose blue- I’d imagine some wall in your house to have that colour, cause you love it sooo much! I love the largest painting – the one thats left of the lamp- with the blue figurines ( i guess) in the middle of a lot of white space. that’s so kickass! Beautiful home Holly, but why I am i not surprised :)

• Reply juliette September 28, 2007 at 1:50 pm

I think it’s lovely, peaceful-yet-fun, and inspirational for the blue walls in our living room.
    thanks for posting this!

btw- the stuffed giraffe is darling.

• Reply Larry September 28, 2007 at 2:42 pm

It looks so serene and fun at the same time!

Two questions:

1. I know I should know this, but where is the giraffe from?

2. The birdies– are those homemade or did you purchase them?

• Reply decor8 September 28, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Larry – The giraffe was purchased at the Renegade Craft Fair in Brooklyn this past summer, but the lady that crafts them sells these little guys online now:

And the birdies – that’s a flensted mobile I purchased a few years ago, but you can order it online from Day Lab:

• Reply Lyn Spataro September 28, 2007 at 3:19 pm

so sweet and special! love the photo you have casually lying near your treasures, I do the same thing.

i am in love with the little ‘raffie (as my twin nieces call them).

thank you for sharing your space with me!

• Reply decor8 September 28, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Lyn! That’s a photo of baby me with our dog Bonnie and my mother who was only 25 at the time. All the things in my crib and the art on my walls were made by my aunt and mom. I guess I’ve always been surrounded by handmade goodies and carried that into my adult life.

• Reply Carolina Cottage September 28, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Love it! I’m a huge fan of blue.

Sadly, I JUST painted my bedroom the perfect pale seafoam when the house sold. (I took the paint can with me.

• Reply Dawbis September 28, 2007 at 4:49 pm

i feel calm just looking through the photos! great job!

• Reply Andee September 28, 2007 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us. You are such an inspiration to me. I would love to see more.

• Reply becky September 28, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Holly, perhaps the J.A. giraffe lamp could go there? Or more of a retro pottery lamp or gourd lamp in pale yellow or lime green?

Becky

• Reply Jackie Von Tobel September 28, 2007 at 6:00 pm

I like the blue color choice, it makes your room look refreshing and vital.
    Jackie

• Reply Katie September 28, 2007 at 6:17 pm

How fun! Where did you get the blue paint and what shade is it?

• Reply decor8 September 28, 2007 at 6:18 pm

becky you know me so well — i still want that lamp you know!!

• Reply Cher Ami September 28, 2007 at 8:15 pm

agreed that wall color is great. It looks so good with the credenza too!

• Reply hetty, quince and clover September 28, 2007 at 8:29 pm

love the blue wall. what color is it?

• Reply Lori (on flickr: castanet) September 28, 2007 at 8:32 pm

looks great, holly!

• Reply 3P-3 September 28, 2007 at 9:12 pm

“Sometimes when you are in a design field, all you strive for is perfection and frankly, I’m sick of it – it’s quite limiting.”

I TOTALLY agree with you on this one. I’ve been taking the same approach, especially since I’ve been with Pablo and working with him (who doesn’t over think anything) has been AMAZING in the sense of letting things just be. It’s more fun this way. Your home looks great!

cheers.

• Reply Traci September 29, 2007 at 3:54 am

My husband and I are moving into our first “real” home in January and I’m looking for the perfect shade of blue for our walls…I’d also love to know all about the paint. It’s gorgeous!

• Reply Elizabeth September 30, 2007 at 3:24 am

looks great! I third the request for paint color information.

• Reply meep October 1, 2007 at 4:05 am

i love the white, yellow, and black dish. can you please tell me where to find it?

• Reply decor8 October 1, 2007 at 8:46 am

Hi Meep! The dish is from a flea market, it’s from the 50’s and cost $1 – I’m not sure where to find more, sorry.

Everyone else – I love the blue wall as well. I don’t have the wall color here with me since I’m in Germany and left all that in NH, but when I’m home again around Thanksgiving, come back to this post and I’ll let you all know the exact information then.

• Reply Peggy October 2, 2007 at 2:17 pm

Holly, I love this! You, once again are such an inspiration to me! I’ve been thinking about doing a blue wall in my living room.

I love the credenza, the placement. I love the little trays and the stuffed giraffe. I even love the geometry of the lamp.

It’s so fun to see your home. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply James October 19, 2007 at 7:36 pm

where is that sideboard from?! it’s gorgeous! i have a piece that’s very similar that i purchased at an auction in upstate new york… i don’t know much about it or really how to best take care of it. please comment here or e-mail me at james (at) jameshmonroe.com. thank you!