Stop! Banner Time

Maybe it’s the season or just a German thing, but I’ve been spotting a lot of garlands over here lately and I don’t know about you, but I love me some garland. Banners aren’t all about popcorn and pinecones!

There’s something exciting about a hand-crafted string of pretty things displayed somewhere in the home, it creates a festive mood. Whether displayed across a mantle, over a window, around a tabletop, they bring personality in, especially if you like to decorate according to a season or reason, or for a kid’s party or a theme party (hey, theme parties in all their tacky displays can be fun!). Here’s a few that I found on etsy and elsewhere, and remember, with some string and a little imagination, you can string up a pretty fantastic piece yourself – so you can either buy or DIY.

These were crafted by French etsy seller So*Sage (oh those French!).

A white felted banner from Chet and Dot is spooky but sweet.

A colorful fabric banner made from vintage linens by Jump Up And Down.

Nice has some crazy cute banners with pom-poms and such.

This girly floral banner from The Drawing Room is sweet too.

A simple search on the Martha Stewart craft website yields
many results sending you into garland heaven.

Small Stump has a few great ones, too. Faux bois fabulousness!

Psst: Fond of maps? Learn how to create a garland using them via Hallmark magazine right here.

Looking for inspiration? Visit the Paper Crafts group on Flickr. Garlands also fit in great in Jeu de Paume inspired homes, too. :)

(top image from living etc.)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, diy on October 18, 2007

1. www.jrdesignstudio.com commented
    October 18th, 2007 at 8:29pm

I really like your work! It’s awsome… Very crisp colours, very clean lines – minimalist and stylish. I am a bit of a design junky myself :))

All best,

2. Uncle Beefy commented
    October 18th, 2007 at 8:34pm

Okay then…so I’m not the only one. Whew! Gotta love ‘em. Particularly the Small Stump one…I’m a sucker for the faux bois too.

3. kiona commented
    October 18th, 2007 at 10:45pm

Okay, that’s it!! I’ve seen banners here and there over the last few weeks, tickling and my inspiration bone to make one, (or two, or 150) but I’ve been successful at suppressing that need due to the ‘I’ve just got TOO much to do already’ excuse. NOW, after this post I just have to do it. THANKS!

4. Wende commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 1:47am

Oh, yippee. For once I’m ahead of the trend… we’ve had our Peace banner up for the past year. I meant it just as a Christmas thing, but we loved it so much we left it up!

5. nice-etc commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 1:57am

hahah What a great surprise to see my banner..and just all the banners, really! lovely.. and such a great feeling :) Thanks much, Holly!
    -Caitlin / Nice

6. Merrilee Diaz commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 12:38pm

I LOVE the Nice ones you posted. I love visiting your bog, always such beautiful finds. : )

7. Kelly commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 1:00pm

these are lovely. i adore the So*Sage banners!

8. rifferaff commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 1:50pm

Ha! I love the title of this post. : )

9. LN commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 3:29pm

Do you know the fabulous garlands : http://www.sophiecuvelier.com/? Also french!

10. Heather Moore commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 3:39pm

Hey rifferaff beat me to it – i was having a chuckle over this post’s title too. Good one, Holly!

11. Fina commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 3:49pm

love your banner post…makes me feel happy :)

12. corine commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 9:25pm

This is all very lovely. At last a project even I can tacke.

13. Gradon commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 9:28pm

When I read your title, an audible “Oh NO she didn’t” out of me. Oh, to be old enough to fondly remember MC Hammer. =)

14. decor8 commented
    October 19th, 2007 at 9:41pm

Please Hammer don’t hurt ‘em! Grady! I know, I know… Us thirtysomethings have the craziest times to look back at. Remember his pants and those lines shaved into the sides of his head. HA!

15. jessi commented
    October 20th, 2007 at 4:30am

Thanks so much for mentioning me! I’m flattered!

16. mlle a. commented
    October 20th, 2007 at 11:45am

The November issue of “Living & More” features an advent wreath (Adventskranz) with a tiny bunting wrapped around it – very sweet! If you haven’t already, go and get the issue. It’s quite lovely, though I usually lament the fact that they use too many Scandinavian pre-made project photo series (by Linnea Press, whose photo stock and ideas are greatest) and simply slab on their texts.

They also featured a sweet tea shop in Kopenhagen, which I’m sure you’ll love perusing. I wish they had mentioned “Cupcake Bakery” in Berlin, too.

17. decor8 commented
    October 20th, 2007 at 6:38pm

mlle a. – I have that issue, I adore that Copenhagen cafe featured inside, it made me want to go up there just to have afternoon tea. ;) I thought the issue was completely inspiring, didn’t you?

18. Freshly Found commented
    October 21st, 2007 at 4:01pm

This article has inspired me for Christmas. I like the banner ideas!

19. Cher Ami commented
    October 21st, 2007 at 5:29pm

when I was at the Renegade Craft Fair here in Chicago I saw several great banners for sale. Easy and re-usable!

20. Colorsonmymind commented
    October 22nd, 2007 at 10:56am

These garlands are just glorious!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks