Arts + Crafts, DIY

Stop! Banner Time

October 18, 2007

Maybe it’s the season or just a German thing, but I’ve been spotting a lot of garlands over here lately and I don’t know about you, but I love me some garland. Banners aren’t all about popcorn and pinecones!

Stop! Banner Time
There’s something exciting about a hand-crafted string of pretty things displayed somewhere in the home, it creates a festive mood. Whether displayed across a mantle, over a window, around a tabletop, they bring personality in, especially if you like to decorate according to a season or reason, or for a kid’s party or a theme party (hey, theme parties in all their tacky displays can be fun!). Here’s a few that I found on etsy and elsewhere, and remember, with some string and a little imagination, you can string up a pretty fantastic piece yourself – so you can either buy or DIY.

Stop! Banner Time These were crafted by French etsy seller So*Sage (oh those French!).

Stop! Banner TimeA white felted banner from Chet and Dot is spooky but sweet.

Stop! Banner TimeA colorful fabric banner made from vintage linens by Jump Up And Down.

Stop! Banner TimeNice has some crazy cute banners with pom-poms and such.

Stop! Banner Time This girly floral banner from The Drawing Room is sweet too.

Stop! Banner TimeStop! Banner Time A simple search on the Martha Stewart craft website yields
many results sending you into garland heaven.

Stop! Banner TimeSmall Stump has a few great ones, too. Faux bois fabulousness!

Psst: Fond of maps? Learn how to create a garland using them via Hallmark magazine right here.

Looking for inspiration? Visit the Paper Crafts group on Flickr. Garlands also fit in great in Jeu de Paume inspired homes, too. :)

(top image from living etc.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply October 18, 2007 at 8:29 pm

I really like your work! It’s awsome… Very crisp colours, very clean lines – minimalist and stylish. I am a bit of a design junky myself :))

All best,

• Reply Uncle Beefy October 18, 2007 at 8:34 pm

Okay then…so I’m not the only one. Whew! Gotta love ’em. Particularly the Small Stump one…I’m a sucker for the faux bois too.

• Reply kiona October 18, 2007 at 10:45 pm

Okay, that’s it!! I’ve seen banners here and there over the last few weeks, tickling and my inspiration bone to make one, (or two, or 150) but I’ve been successful at suppressing that need due to the ‘I’ve just got TOO much to do already’ excuse. NOW, after this post I just have to do it. THANKS!

• Reply Wende October 19, 2007 at 1:47 am

Oh, yippee. For once I’m ahead of the trend… we’ve had our Peace banner up for the past year. I meant it just as a Christmas thing, but we loved it so much we left it up!

• Reply nice-etc October 19, 2007 at 1:57 am

hahah What a great surprise to see my banner..and just all the banners, really! lovely.. and such a great feeling :) Thanks much, Holly!
    -Caitlin / Nice

• Reply Merrilee Diaz October 19, 2007 at 12:38 pm

I LOVE the Nice ones you posted. I love visiting your bog, always such beautiful finds. : )

• Reply Kelly October 19, 2007 at 1:00 pm

these are lovely. i adore the So*Sage banners!

• Reply rifferaff October 19, 2007 at 1:50 pm

Ha! I love the title of this post. : )

• Reply LN October 19, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Do you know the fabulous garlands : Also french!

• Reply Heather Moore October 19, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Hey rifferaff beat me to it – i was having a chuckle over this post’s title too. Good one, Holly!

• Reply Fina October 19, 2007 at 3:49 pm

love your banner post…makes me feel happy :)

• Reply corine October 19, 2007 at 9:25 pm

This is all very lovely. At last a project even I can tacke.

• Reply Gradon October 19, 2007 at 9:28 pm

When I read your title, an audible “Oh NO she didn’t” out of me. Oh, to be old enough to fondly remember MC Hammer. =)

• Reply decor8 October 19, 2007 at 9:41 pm

Please Hammer don’t hurt ’em! Grady! I know, I know… Us thirtysomethings have the craziest times to look back at. Remember his pants and those lines shaved into the sides of his head. HA!

• Reply jessi October 20, 2007 at 4:30 am

Thanks so much for mentioning me! I’m flattered!

• Reply mlle a. October 20, 2007 at 11:45 am

The November issue of “Living & More” features an advent wreath (Adventskranz) with a tiny bunting wrapped around it – very sweet! If you haven’t already, go and get the issue. It’s quite lovely, though I usually lament the fact that they use too many Scandinavian pre-made project photo series (by Linnea Press, whose photo stock and ideas are greatest) and simply slab on their texts.

They also featured a sweet tea shop in Kopenhagen, which I’m sure you’ll love perusing. I wish they had mentioned “Cupcake Bakery” in Berlin, too.

• Reply decor8 October 20, 2007 at 6:38 pm

mlle a. – I have that issue, I adore that Copenhagen cafe featured inside, it made me want to go up there just to have afternoon tea. ;) I thought the issue was completely inspiring, didn’t you?

• Reply Freshly Found October 21, 2007 at 4:01 pm

This article has inspired me for Christmas. I like the banner ideas!

• Reply Cher Ami October 21, 2007 at 5:29 pm

when I was at the Renegade Craft Fair here in Chicago I saw several great banners for sale. Easy and re-usable!

• Reply Colorsonmymind October 22, 2007 at 10:56 am

These garlands are just glorious!