Shopping + Products, Travel

Impressionen {Germany}

October 26, 2007

Impressionen is a mail order company here in Germany that specializes in women’s fashion and home accessories along with some furniture, always on trend, and the website is such a pleasure to browse with their collaged images and pretty color combinations. These images give you an idea of some popular trends here in Germany.

Impressionen {Germany}

I’m really enjoying all the natural textures and colors lately and find myself torn between an all-white room with accents of taupe, silver, and lavender and colorful playful rooms with no set focal point, just lots of patterns against a neutral base.

Impressionen {Germany}

Since this blog’s inception, I’ve followed all the big trends and built a personal database of more companies that I’ll ever need to reference. I’m sure, whether you blog or are simply obsessed with reading them, you also are quite savvy and know more about design than ever before. But as my personal likes and dislikes forever change, I’ve concluded that I need to stick to a neutral base devoid of pattern and swap out my patterned soft furnishings and accessories per season or at least, every 6 months, so I don’t die of boredom. I can commit to wallpaper in small spaces (hallway, bathroom, or as a single accent wall in a larger space), and to flooring (I’m a wood floor fan), but I cannot commit to patterned sofas or chairs unless I can slipcover them whenever the spirit moves me. I prefer wood seating that I can alter myself with a staple gun and a piece of fabric for the seat or back, for instance, or with cushions. And this is coming from a girl that saw a patterned sofa at Svenskt Tenn and nearly collapsed from sensory overload. I loved it. But I wouldn’t own it.

Impressionen {Germany}

It’s pretty funny how we embark on blogging with a strong sense of who we are and what we like, and then realize down the road that we were only beginning our journey and that design and decorating while for some may be meaningless (I have friends who could care less), but for others (like us!), home improvement is a constant thought in our minds. Improving our living space is our passion, but it’s only fun once we realize that there’s no end point and to just chill about the whole thing. Decorating is the unattainable goal, it’s the size zero, the long legs, the high cheekbones. It’s like reaching personal perfection, we’ll never be perfect but we strive to be our very best and have fun doing it. It’s the same for the home. It will never be perfect, for some there is no ‘end’ point, but the joy is in the journey and to finally be comfortable with this fact is absolutely freeing for me. I just thought I’d share this thought with you today.

Perhaps you can relate.

(images from impressionen)

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply Tiffany Nelson October 26, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Can you send me the link to the page that has the lamp with the glass balls on it, I have searched their site and can’t seem to find it. I could be just overlooking it because of the whole english german thing. Thanks in advance

• Reply Pina October 26, 2007 at 1:05 pm

I can easily relate to your thoughts. Thanks for sharing them with us. :)
    I really enjoy reading your blog.

• Reply decor8 October 26, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Hi Tiffany,
    Sure -it’s called “Tischleuchte” here you go!

• Reply Anonymous October 26, 2007 at 2:07 pm

Hi!

I am in love with the little angel wing cutouts. Could you please tell me where I can get some.

Thanks! :)

• Reply decor8 October 26, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Of course anon – they are called
    “Keksformen-Set” and here’s the link:

• Reply www.theredstripednook.etsy.com October 26, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Those little angle wing cookies are hilarious!

• Reply montevideana October 26, 2007 at 5:04 pm

I completely agree.

By the way, you’re posting frantically these days! I’m amazed and very pleased to see anything new everytime I pay decor8 a visit, but aren’t you a bit tired?

• Reply Sabina October 26, 2007 at 5:29 pm

very nice post – i absolutely can relate.

• Reply Forever Chic October 26, 2007 at 10:30 pm

Interesting post! For me, though, the fun of decorating is in the journey. I’ve stopped trying to create the “perfect” space – instead I just have fun finding fun things in thrift shops, exploring different color combinations, rearranging furniture when the urge strikes, buying art I like, etc. I think this process of finding, creating, combining, customizing, etc. is what feeds the soul – as much as a well-decorated, finished room does. (But then again, is a room ever finished?)

So, I implore you to revel in the fun of the process, even if a project doesn’t come out the way you’d hoped! :)

• Reply decor8 October 27, 2007 at 6:53 am

Forever Chic – Exactly my point. I have always been like this, enjoying the process of collecting, decorating as I go along, but it seems so many magazines and television promote the idea of “before” and “after” and this gets locked into the heads of so many as the way it “should be”. In other words, that decorating has some type of whirlwind moment when a crew comes in and does everything in a day and leaves and then you have the perfect home. It’s never been this way for me, and often I thought perhaps my thinking is flawed, I’m an interior designer who teaches my clients to enjoy the journey while others are loading up their carts for clients and getting a project over and done with and moving on. My clients call me months down the road to continue consulting with them and building other rooms with a good foundation so they can start to build over time from there. Some clients want a quick before and after and I’ll give it to them, but it still feels very fake to me. I preach patience and exploration when I consult. And in my own home, I walk the talk. And finally I’m feeling comfortable with all of this because before I was a bit afraid to be an unconventional designer.

• Reply Cameron October 27, 2007 at 2:14 pm

lovely post, and all those images are wonderful!
    Do you know, will they ship to the U.S.? My lack of German leaves me wondering!

• Reply Anonymous October 27, 2007 at 5:25 pm

I love the items on the Impressionen site. Do they ship to the U.S.? I would love to order a few of the items, but I don’t know German. :)Thanks!

• Reply Jill Clarkson October 28, 2007 at 8:40 pm

oh my god, you hit struck such a chord with me in this posting when you wrote, “it’s only fun when we realize there is no end point and to just chill about the whole thing” I remember once getting ready for a party and stressing out about the fact that my outdoor deck wasn’t quite finished. I lived in Sausalito then, with an amazing city view, and I was so upset over the unfinished odds and ends until a friend said, “chill out girl!, it’s a work in progress and if the process is ever completely finished then it feels a bit dead. having things still to do keeps it alive with change and possibilities!” I felt so relieved when i finally understood this little bit of wisdom!! I now know that if ever my space did feel totally finished then I would at once want to change it all!! such a metaphor for so many aspects of life!!

ps. i so love your blog. i get so many new inspirations from you- even if i have creative block i know i can get back on track hanging out here at decor8!! : )

• Reply Anonymous October 29, 2007 at 1:03 am

Thank you for reminding me that the process of decorating, of improving my living space (and my husband’s), should be fun and is not about working towards a perfect end goal. I will need to remember this as I try to put our new home together, which, until I read your post, has been rather frustrating due to lack of direction and budget. You post was exactly what I needed to read tonight after spending another Sunday evening painting, cleaning, rearranging…THANK YOU!

• Reply jane October 29, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Thank you for this post, Holly.
    I like it because it leaves room for serendipity. You can wait to find something that is perfect, and “so you,” and not feel the pressure to have it all done at once. Like so many things, it’s the journey, not the destination, that makes it fun and satisfying! I feel refreshed just reading this today. :)

• Reply Sue October 30, 2007 at 11:52 am

Funny about this post: I sat next to a woman in the underground here in Munich and she read a catalogue.
    I couldn’t quite see which one it was, just read a small word “Impressionen” – and the next day, you share it here…
    So, thanks for sharing.

• Reply Anonymous October 30, 2007 at 9:44 pm

AMEN. you took the words out of my mouth. I’ve becoming more addicted to design blogs everyday. I’ve become obsessed with constantly home improvement, changing my favorite colors and designs, and learning everything D.I.Y techniques. I’m recently covering everything PLAIN in my apt, like plain shoe boxes that I can cover up with Patterned gift wraps. I had lived in more of a boy mind of state, no cutesy colors, no patterns but solids and grays. AND now, i want to fill everything I see with designs.

I don’t know how to stop. LOL.

PS. I LOVE WHAT YOU DO.

• Reply vineeta October 31, 2007 at 9:58 am

Holly, I’ve said this before I’ll say it again, You single-handly have been resposible for my design blogging obsession, which has resulted in my own design blog & I’m loving every minute of it. It has opened my life in ways I would never have imagined. I am loving this journey. And it is thanx to you!