Lars Contzen {Germany}

Yowsah! Have you heard of German designer Lars Contzen? He believes that, ?Decor expresses a feeling for life” and with an extensive client list and a whole slew of eye-popping products ranging from furniture to rugs, tableware, and wallpaper, I think you’ll clearly see the feeling he’s trying to express. Joy. Happiness. Fresh and full of life. With bold geometrics in groovy kaleidoscopic colors, his surface designs are futuristic and a far cry from shy.

His fab faux bois bench in hot pink has my attention, especially against hardwood flooring, I’d love to see one in a hallway with colorful rubber boots beneath it and a huge frameless mirror directly above with a white shelf floating directly below the mirror. I see the wall in a happy yellow – we could call the hallway Pink Lemonade inspired by these ladies, what do you think? And for the ultimate statement, a medium sized disco ball pendant light so I can crank a little Walk It Out Fosse, of course. Or Abba.

Which leads me to ask lighting designers around the world – why aren’t you designing a pendant light that looks like a disco ball? I don’t get it. I can even design it for you, I have so many ideas but imagine a disco ball with the bottom 1/4 chopped off, hollow inside, with a light bulb for illuminating through the clear (or iridescent) glass mosaic tiles on the exterior. I mean, hello designers we could totally do this. The world needs these things. Maybe it could have an extra mechanism where you could flick a switch and it would throw out a little strobe light action for when you entertain friends. Okay tacky. But fun. Otherwise, it’s basically a light fixture every other time. I’m totally disappointed that someone isn’t out there with one already. I’d totally buy it if it were done right (not kitschy and cheap). But I digress, back to Lars Contzen and his fabulousness. Here’s some more eye candy from his kick butt portfolio.

If you’d like to learn more about Lars Contzen and Contzentrade, you can visit his website or view his work in person at the Contzentrade showroom in Germany located near Frankfurt Main.

(images from lars contzen)

Posted by decor8 in designers, flooring, shopping, travel, walls on October 30, 2007

1. Pink Wallpaper commented
    October 30th, 2007 at 1:52pm

i love your description of the pink lemonade hallway…you definitely captured the look “those ladies”!

2. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 30th, 2007 at 3:39pm

Wow! So happy and fun! I would love to have that pink bench for my shop…..thanks Holly!
    xo
    Melissa

3. annechovie commented
    October 30th, 2007 at 5:09pm

Holly~
    Lars’ work is right up my alley – love those bright, punchy colors. Very unique and cheery.

4. Kevin commented
    October 30th, 2007 at 5:38pm

Whoa! Very mod, but not in a dated way…so cool.

I love your site! Since I’m a design student, you’re often my first stop when I’m looking for designers and manufacturers for my projects. Much love for you here in Ohio!

5. Linnea commented
    October 30th, 2007 at 6:22pm

It might not be exactly what you think of, but have you seen the Konfetti Chandelier, designed by swedish Front for BSweden (bsweden.com)? It’s gorgeous!

6. BrowningtonForest commented
    October 30th, 2007 at 6:45pm

I love that fauxbois bench. The bright color and design is exactly what I want in my home. It’s so fun!

7. desiree fawn commented
    October 30th, 2007 at 11:30pm

Hello hello,
    I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now & I looooove it so, so, very much. I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be adding a link to it on my blog if you wanted to head over & take a look something.
    Thanks for all of the fabulous blogging!
    Desiree Fawn

desireefawn.blogspot.com
    ameliorate.etsy.com

8. Amy Nieto commented
    October 31st, 2007 at 2:01am

I swoon over all that furniture!

And dude, disco balls are AWESOME. I think they add such an element fun to a house!

9. Kim commented
    July 20th, 2009 at 11:21am

What a bright and happy post! I love almost everything!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Queen Marchesa =-.

10. amber commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 11:43am

WOOW- now this is what is right up my street !! :D i love your designs, the retro quirkiness and totally fun and jovial edge! it would just be a dream to have your whole collection in my house, thanks for your aaamazzzing true inspiration! stunning!