DIY, Inspiration, Objects

The Emperor’s New Lamp {diy}

October 31, 2007

This is fantastic, I’m thrilled that decor8 reader Linnea in Sweden shared this with us! Recall The Emperor’s New Lamp that I blogged about earlier? Linnea loved the design so much that she recently took a little DIY action to an old lampshade to recreate the light Linnea-style. This is such a cool idea.

The Emperors New Lamp {diy}
She’s since painted the frame black (vs. pink) but you get the idea. Just strip the shade off of an old lampshade that has a groovy shape and viola! you have a very sweet new light source. Here are a few additional shots of Linnea’s space, it’s so pretty and designed on a budget.

The Emperors New Lamp {diy} “String shelf with some eye candy. Middle row: promo photo from Phocus, mug from Siv Andr?ason Malm?, small artwork by Angie Lewin and vintage cup from Gefle. Bottom row: Stig Lindberg ceramic bowl and a retro radio from Rusta.”

The Emperors New Lamp {diy} “The small “library” part of the bedroom. All second hand. Lamp 50 SEK. Armchair 650 SEK. Green mat 25 SEK. Bookcase 145 SEK. The wallpaper is from swedish Decor Maison. I love this corner.”

(images and text in quotes from hemma hos linnea)

You Might Also Like

• Reply mezamashii November 1, 2007 at 2:50 am

Whooo the lamp idea is neat! But I need to get some more frosted glass bulbs!

• Reply emma ::emmas designblogg:: November 1, 2007 at 10:08 am

I have made a lamp shade like that myself, but mine is painted in gold! It hangs in my youngest son’s room, and he loves it. I’ll see if I can get a nice picture of it (it is so dark here now)!

I have loved the Emperors new lamp since I first saw it, but they are too expensive for me, so I just made my own, and it was very simple!

• Reply zee November 1, 2007 at 10:44 am

Cute! I love Linnea’s string shelf too… I wonder does she own any pieces from Stig Lindberg’s beautiful ‘Linnea’ collection? :-)

• Reply Pethra November 1, 2007 at 1:29 pm

I really like Linneas idea. She shows that design can inspire us to make beautiful things even though our wallet may be thin. Heja, Linnea! ;-)

• Reply Rona Chang November 1, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Thank you for the glimpses into Linnea’s home. So crisp & lovely.

• Reply :: A S K :: November 1, 2007 at 2:32 pm

ooo another rainbow book display! love it. But where is that big “A” from?!?

• Reply Anne November 1, 2007 at 4:51 pm

LOVE the lamp! It think I even prefer Linnea’s version to the original (which is pretty great too). The shape of it is kind of feminine, somehow it reminds me a corset (maybe the pink helps a bit). Very cool. I’m sure it’s elegant in black as well.

Will keep my eyes open for a good lamp frame. This is a must-have.

Thanks for bringing so many great items and ideas to our attention.

• Reply Linnea November 1, 2007 at 7:13 pm

You make me soo proud by posting about my little stuff..! :-D This made my day – thank you! I uploaded another photo of the lamp, in the black version. It’s actually not painted, but covered with black textile ribbon. Here it is:

• Reply The Designer November 4, 2007 at 10:59 am

As a designer, I always look for new and exciting ideas for my clients and I enjoy your great variety. The bare lamp shade idea is fabulous and I will try and find a great one for an upcoming project. Keep the great ideas coming!

The Designer Insider

• Reply Anonymous November 7, 2007 at 12:06 pm

What a beautiful int?rieur !

Angie Lewin (framed illustration on the string shelf) is very impressive. I bought some of her cards in Canterbury last September. This is the first time I come across her name on the net.

You’ reminding me I wanted to google her. Thanks!