The Emperor’s New Lamp {diy}

This is fantastic, I’m thrilled that decor8 reader Linnea in Sweden shared this with us! Recall The Emperor’s New Lamp that I blogged about earlier? Linnea loved the design so much that she recently took a little DIY action to an old lampshade to recreate the light Linnea-style. This is such a cool idea.

She’s since painted the frame black (vs. pink) but you get the idea. Just strip the shade off of an old lampshade that has a groovy shape and viola! you have a very sweet new light source. Here are a few additional shots of Linnea’s space, it’s so pretty and designed on a budget.

“String shelf with some eye candy. Middle row: promo photo from Phocus, mug from Siv Andr?ason Malm?, small artwork by Angie Lewin and vintage cup from Gefle. Bottom row: Stig Lindberg ceramic bowl and a retro radio from Rusta.”

“The small “library” part of the bedroom. All second hand. Lamp 50 SEK. Armchair 650 SEK. Green mat 25 SEK. Bookcase 145 SEK. The wallpaper is from swedish Decor Maison. I love this corner.”

(images and text in quotes from hemma hos linnea)

Posted by decor8 in diy, inspiration, lighting on October 31, 2007

1. mezamashii commented
    November 1st, 2007 at 2:50am

Whooo the lamp idea is neat! But I need to get some more frosted glass bulbs!

2. emma ::emmas designblogg:: commented
    November 1st, 2007 at 10:08am

I have made a lamp shade like that myself, but mine is painted in gold! It hangs in my youngest son’s room, and he loves it. I’ll see if I can get a nice picture of it (it is so dark here now)!

I have loved the Emperors new lamp since I first saw it, but they are too expensive for me, so I just made my own, and it was very simple!

3. zee commented
    November 1st, 2007 at 10:44am

Cute! I love Linnea’s string shelf too… I wonder does she own any pieces from Stig Lindberg’s beautiful ‘Linnea’ collection? :-)

4. Pethra commented
    November 1st, 2007 at 1:29pm

I really like Linneas idea. She shows that design can inspire us to make beautiful things even though our wallet may be thin. Heja, Linnea! ;-)

5. Rona Chang commented
    November 1st, 2007 at 1:44pm

Thank you for the glimpses into Linnea’s home. So crisp & lovely.

6. :: A S K :: commented
    November 1st, 2007 at 2:32pm

ooo another rainbow book display! love it. But where is that big “A” from?!?

7. Anne commented
    November 1st, 2007 at 4:51pm

LOVE the lamp! It think I even prefer Linnea’s version to the original (which is pretty great too). The shape of it is kind of feminine, somehow it reminds me a corset (maybe the pink helps a bit). Very cool. I’m sure it’s elegant in black as well.

Will keep my eyes open for a good lamp frame. This is a must-have.

Thanks for bringing so many great items and ideas to our attention.

8. Linnea commented
    November 1st, 2007 at 7:13pm

You make me soo proud by posting about my little stuff..! :-D This made my day – thank you! I uploaded another photo of the lamp, in the black version. It’s actually not painted, but covered with black textile ribbon. Here it is: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2281/1815397578_e5666e8919_o.jpg

9. The Designer commented
    November 4th, 2007 at 10:59am

As a designer, I always look for new and exciting ideas for my clients and I enjoy your great variety. The bare lamp shade idea is fabulous and I will try and find a great one for an upcoming project. Keep the great ideas coming!

The Designer Insider

10. Anonymous commented
    November 7th, 2007 at 12:06pm

What a beautiful int?rieur !

Angie Lewin (framed illustration on the string shelf) is very impressive. I bought some of her cards in Canterbury last September. This is the first time I come across her name on the net.

You’ reminding me I wanted to google her. Thanks!

H?l?ne