Zoo Inspired {not kidding!}

I always preach that you can find inspiration anywhere, right? So I decided to take my camera to the local zoo (of all places) to study patterns and colors for inspiration and ideas. The India area of the Hannover Zoo was my favorite, the environment was quite transporting for a zoo with curry and incense in the air along with the laughter of children – it was fun to play pretend for a moment and imagine myself in Bombay.

The prints and patterns in the various buildings there sent my imagination into overdrive, it again reminded me of how badly I want to work with a client on a modern Indian design – pulling together a space around various tones of red (think pink and fuchsia), white, and pale turquoise with lots of gold accents and modern Indian patterns based on traditional motifs. Embroidery too, of course. But the look would be very clean, very exotic, and far from boring.

I also dream of hosting a summer party beneath a tent in my background, perhaps next summer. Wouldn’t it be fun to go a step further and jump into a commercial space with this idea, perhaps a store or day spa, maybe even a swanky lounge? Oh imagine that. Or a bedroom. Can’t you see it now? Here’s some examples with special thanks to House to Home.

Embroidered bed skirt, sumptuous silks, amazing florals!

Twinkle lights dancing behind a headboard? Oh yes!

Soft furnishings take center stage in this room design, you barely notice the furniture.

(images from house to home)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration, shopping, travel on November 05, 2007

1. Buffy commented
    November 5th, 2007 at 12:55pm

I adore the room with the twin beds. I’ve been thinking about bringing an Indian theme into my kitchen. A random room to try this on, I know, but it’s the only room I’m stuck on. I hate it – heavily varnished pine cabinets too expensive to replace alltogether – and am desperate to try anything…plus…I love fuschia.

2. Hammocks & High Tea commented
    November 5th, 2007 at 8:16pm

What you just described is my fantasy of a modern Indian room. I had so much of that influence growing up (it came out a touch in my new product line:)that the smell of incense and those bold, bright colors always feels liek home to me. mmmm :)

3. dollfacesincebirth commented
    November 5th, 2007 at 9:19pm

I adore the white lights behind the headboard. Might have to copy that one!

4. All Things Bright and Beautiful....Creative Flair Chic commented
    November 6th, 2007 at 2:43am

Love the last photo & the white bed with groovy cushions. Am inspired!! :-)

5. Rachel commented
    November 6th, 2007 at 3:47am

Great pics from the zoo, Holly.
    I, too, would love to pick up a client with a zest for colorful aesthetics. As the new Ikea commercial here in the states sings, “Be Brave, Not Beige!”

6. alexandra commented
    November 18th, 2007 at 7:35am

any idea where those two white lamps over the bed came from. i think i’m in love.

7. decor8 commented
    November 18th, 2007 at 1:23pm

Alexandra I’m with you, they are great! But I don’t know where they are from since this is the first time I’ve ever seen them.