Boston Locals: Wanna Party?

I’m attending a launch party for Lola (a Boston Globe publication), Boston’s new magazine for women, and I’d like for you to join me!

The event will be held on Friday, December 7th and to quickly summarize, it’s Lola?s official red carpet launch party and a first pick preview shopping event for the SoWa Holiday Market (the market will be open to everyone else on Saturday and Sunday, but for those attending this event you’ll have first dibs!).

The SoWa Market is giving decor8 readers a chance to attend this event – 10 sets of 2 tickets. It’s a great chance to mingle with local industry people – fashion, photographers, writers, editors, restaurant and boutique owners, so dress to impress and bring those business cards! But first, you have to get in…

If you’d like to attend, please comment below with your answer to, “Why do you think shopping indie is so important?”. When you comment, please include a link to your blog or website so I can verify who you are, and your email address. I hope you can join us!

(image from lola boston)

Posted by decor8 in contests on November 19, 2007

1. Ms.Crystal commented
    November 19th, 2007 at 9:09pm

I have always shopped “indie” I am a huge fan of supporting crafters and local artist. I myself like to dabble in the homemade/handmade goodness now and then. Big fan of the South End Open market and love to see what new and exciting crafts are for sale. I think supporting a local crafter versus buying a 1/2000 screen printed tee’s is always better. One of a kind for a one of a kind gal

2. Angela commented
    November 19th, 2007 at 9:34pm

I’ve made a commitment to making my Christmas shopping entirely “indie handmade” this year.

Not only have I met some amazing artists in the local design community, it seems so important to support good economic practice— spend local, support local artists, not the big box stores.

3. Kendra commented
    November 19th, 2007 at 9:42pm

When I shop indie, I get more bang for my buck by buying direct from the crafters: a nice gift for a friend (or myself), and the pleasure of supporting a working artist. Indie gifts are often one-of-a-kind, and show my friends that I really put some thought and time into their gift. Indie gift-giving is less about materialism and one-upsmanship, and more about showing my friends that I care about them.

(I guess I’m one of the last 5 people on the planet who don’t have a website/blog, but I’ve got a flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/viakendra/)

4. Leyre commented
    November 19th, 2007 at 9:55pm

I’ve only started shopping indie in the past year and a half. I’ll admit that before then I thought that ‘indie’ meant cheaply made, kind of cutesy, country-ish stuff.

Obviously my mind has been blown in the past year and a half, as I’ve become acquainted with several blogs that highlight indie vendors/designers, and visited several open markets and holiday markets to peruse the amazing things people have created with their own two hands!

What I love most about shopping indie is the actual shopping experience. Just ‘window shopping’ whether it’s online or in person can be quite the learning experience. I’ve learned more about different kinds of fabrics, about buying/producing things locally, about the thought process behind creating something – anything – in the past year and a half than I did in my first 27 years of living and shopping at malls and retail chains.

Shopping indie is the best way to develop a personal style and sense of self – to realize that there are so many other people in the world who think for themselves and believe in their creativity enough to put it out there for the world to see…that kind of bravery needs to be encouraged as much as possible, because it in turn will encourage everyone it touches to surround themselves with what THEY think is beautiful, not what someone else tells them to think is beautiful.

5. liz commented
    November 19th, 2007 at 11:22pm

I love the connection, knowing who created the piece that I am buying – and knowing that they know their materials, and how to fix/repair/replace the item as well.

6. Kerry commented
    November 19th, 2007 at 11:27pm

In a world of cookie cutter towns filled with malls, franchises and big box stores shopping indie should be important to us all!

Independent businesses and artists help society leave behind a more personal legacy of who we are as a generation. Through their work there is a voice beyond that of what Madison Avenue tells us is ?in?.

God?did that sound too preachy? How about this instead:

Indie stuff rocks!

XO Kerry (your brit pop soul sista from beantown)

7. layersofmeaning commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 12:06am

I would love go! to bad i’m GA!!
    & how i would love to get a free copy of the magazine!
    have fun!

8. Debbie Miller commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 1:17am

indie shopping…supporting the little guy/gals! supporting fellow artists and craftistas. unique, creative stuff carefully made. love indie shopping!!

9. sarah laws commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 1:55am

i support indie because i know how much passion lies in a product that somebody really loved to make. as an artist/designer/crafter, i know how much love goes into one of my drawings or stuffed creatures or even one of my shoe designs! it’s the emotional passion that a person making something feels, that is truly transmitted into their piece.

i am a west coast native, recently relocated from nyc to the boston-area, and you can read my blog here:
    drawings here…

xo
    sarah

10. Chris Q commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 1:50pm

I’m starting to understand more and more that we vote by the way we spend our dollars, and shopping indie is another way to tell those in power that I’m not interested in what they have to offer.

I’m trying to focus more on consuming less, and purchasing high quality items which will last and not end up in the landfill 5 minutes after purchase.

Shopping indie is not only more sustainable, but local indie shopping also allows those who make the courageous step to live by their talents a chance for a living wage, and strengthens our community.

Plus, my people usually love the unique, clever gifts that I’v’e found at the Bizarre Bazaar and the SoWa markets.
    -Chris Q

11. Alexandrialeigh commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 2:09pm

Lola looks suspiciously like a wannabe Skirt! to me…

Check it out: Skirt!

12. Liz commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 4:54pm

There are so many reasons to shop indie that it’s hard to know where to start. First, there’s quality. The most original and unusual designs come from indie artists, who don’t have to kowtow to any corporate sensibility. Second, there’s a certain pride of craftsmanship by indie artists that doesn’t translate into mass-marketed goods. Next, there’s the principle of supporting local artists; that’s one of the reasons I err on the side of buying art, jewelry, etc. at the Fort Point, JP and SoWa open studios. Finally, it just feels like the right thing to do — sort of like when you eat fresh peaches.

I don’t have a blog or a website but you can find my profile page at fr.com.

Elizabeth Brown

13. Sara commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 6:56pm

I work for an independent book publishing house in Boston. The changes that have taken place in the book industry over the last decade or so are a perfect example of why shopping indie is so important.

In the book world, the less independent book stores and publishing houses there are, the less original voices have a chance to be heard, and the more power is given to fewer people to decide what will be available for us to read.

By buying goods from independent stores, farmers markets, artists, craft fairs, etc., we are making a choice to allow for a multitude of voices to be heard, seen, listened to, tasted. The more we support indie business, the more colorful the world becomes. Not to mention that generally shopping indie is more more environmentally friendly and sustainable, and promotes community and creativity.

On a lighter note, I’d love to go to this event to meet more of the Boston population who are equally as interested in indie business, design, craft, fashion, and food as I am. It also sounds like a great place for cooking up book ideas.

I don’t have a personal blog or website, but my company website is http://www.shambhala.com

14. Molly commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 7:10pm

Every day I’m amazed by the depth of talent in the indie community, out there to be discovered. I love shopping for special items (for myself and others) that will not only fill a need, but will add beauty to our lives. By shopping indie I help to support the artists and craftspeople who are working to make their living through their art, I enrich my life, and share my passion for handcrafted goods.

I’m an indie business owner myself(www.artfulsentiments.com) and am one of the founders of IndieFinds, a coop of independent businesses who have joined forces to increase awareness of indie shops and to challenge the notion that quality is synonymous with size.

15. Kristen commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 8:27pm

Hey I’m not sure if my last comment when through so sorry if this is quasi-duplicate (I’m terrible at those word verification things for some reason) BUT I think shopping indie is important because there is way too much creativity out there for people to get stuck in the same rut.

I also thinks it’s important because it gives people the opportunity to do what they love instead of relegating it to something they can only fit in every other sunday around what someone considers their “real job”.

16. julieann commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 9:09pm

It is just important to support artists who are doing what they love!

Lately I have been purchasing handmade toys from indie designers…with all that is going on with imported toys from other countries now it is more important than ever to buy local. From people who are more creative and ones you can trust!

Plus it just feels good to know you are supporting anothers dream!

17. Bethany commented
    November 20th, 2007 at 10:08pm

I wouldn’t be able to go to the party on the seventh even if I WERE picked (boohoo), but I do want to write anyway — first of all, I picked up Lola at the BPL and and I just love it. Great size, great content, great design…

Buying independent is so important because it’s fun, diverse, and its great to know what you are buying is making a difference in some independent artist’s life. I mean, everytime I make a sale on etsy or at a show or whatever, it makes me glow. It makes me feel so honored that someone likes *my* work enough to want to spend money on it, to rotate it through their wardrobe, or to save space on their wall for it. It is SO meaningful. If I buy a cookie cutter present from a big name store, I know the employee could care less about the sale and the single sale isn’t a dent against the big name company — do they care who *I* am? Do they care that *I* was the one who purchased it. Did *I* make their day because I bought something that they made and is near and dear to their heart? This is the true difference and importance of buying indie.

xo to the supporters of the indie crafter/artist and to the artists themselves.

18. Kelly commented
    November 22nd, 2007 at 12:28am

Shopping indie gives encouragement to those amazing artists and designers that they are creating amazing products. It also reminds me that I may be able to market myself once I’m ready

19. msapril commented
    November 22nd, 2007 at 3:05am

I would love to attend this event! As an indie artist myself, I would love smooze with fellow artisians and get insight from the people in the biz.

Shopping indie keeps life interesting and original.

My website has links to my flickr page, etsy shop and email. http://www.aprilclayart.com

20. decor8 commented
    November 26th, 2007 at 2:38am

Thanks everyone for your great comments. To make this easier (on me) can you please email me decor8blog [at] GMAIL [dot] com and give me your first and last name so I can get the first 10 to email me on the list. All of these answers are great, I can’t select so I figure that whomever is reading this post so many days later must really want to attend – so just email me. Again its decor8blog [at] GMAIL [dot] com (not yahoo.com that’s my usual email).

Holly