Little Tree {DIY}

Feelin’ crafty? I just discovered a free pattern download that Stephanie Barnes of Little Birds and 3191 fame so graciously put on her blog like forever ago. After finding it on Monday, I grabbed a few pieces of fabric and after a few snips here and some stitching there, this my friends is my 1st little soft tree.

She’s a little imperfect, but still very cute. This is the easiest thing you’ll ever sew, so please give it a try. I made this while watching Project Runway last night (which by the way, this is such a great season, I totally see Christian, Rami, and Jillian in the final three).

But back to the tree, after looking at it for awhile, I decided to give this softie a little personality with some black thread. So now the tree is a she and I’ve named her Clara. Download your pattern here, and when you finish your little baum, please post it in Stephaine’s flickr group called soft trees so we can all ooo and aaaah over it.

(images from holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, diy on December 13, 2007

1. Katee commented
    December 14th, 2007 at 5:29am

no offense, because I mostly love your blog, but if you needed a pattern to make this thing then I’m a bit worried about your proclaimed craftiness.

2. decor8 commented
    December 14th, 2007 at 5:48am

Hi Katee! I don’t make little toys and such, I make quilts, bags, curtains, tea towels, and pillows and have been sewing since I was a child alongside my mother.

My knowledge of softie production is rather limited, but when I saw the tree pattern on stephaines blog, I had to look at it and instantly I was able to grasp the concept and I had a great time doing it.

I also just started making doll clothes, but I do follow a pattern for those because of all the little parts, I can’t eyeball them too well.

Not all of my readers are sewers to I linked them to this pattern and blogged about this little project because I happened to have a lot of fun with it.

I hope you are able to sew up a few – they are fun and a great thing to do while watching trash television!!!

Thanks for stopping by!

3. Anonymous commented
    December 14th, 2007 at 1:08pm

btw…….i’ve been having fun watching project runway
    canada w/ Iman via YOU TUBE…..people on it are very interesting and talented as always….
    thought you might like to try that!!!

4. Anonymous commented
    December 14th, 2007 at 8:36pm

These are great, I’m going to try making them as Christmas ornaments for my tree. Don’t worry about the assholes Holly, they’re a dime a dozen!

5. meg commented
    December 14th, 2007 at 11:01pm

I want to know about that tiny Eames chair!!! How cute is that? And your craftiness, too, but oh, the chair…