Wintery Snowflake Mobile {diy}

Snowflakes and oranges and pom-poms on branches… Oh wait. Not again, wrong lyrics! But can this idea be any sweeter? We owe Leah thanks for this one, the Bay area blogger behind More Ways to Waste Time sent in a little DIY tip because she noticed recently that I’m a big fan of using vintage doilies in new and exciting ways.

Of course I couldn’t resist posting it because this is such an easy way to pretty up your space for the winter season, something you can keep hanging around well into the new year. These photos were snapped recently at the Atomic Garden, a “green boutique” in the Rockridge neighborhood in Oakland, California (Atomic Garden store tour here). This is what you’d see if you walked by their pretty window. Drool. This display would certainly lure me in.

Thanks to Jamie and Erin over at Atomic Garden, because they were generous enough to send Leah complete instructions in case you’d like to try this at home. Click here for the complete recipe. :) Just don’t eat it, although it’s pretty enough to be tempted!

…These are a few of my favorite things!

(images from more ways to waste time)

Posted by decor8 in diy on December 16, 2007

1. Kelleigh commented
    December 17th, 2007 at 12:34am

I’ve seen dried citrus as a christmas tree ornament (a custom in some parts of Italy?) – it looks great as a mobile with the snowflakes. A wonderfully creative idea! I love it!

2. j. shim commented
    December 17th, 2007 at 7:40am

Pretty; the dried orange slices are a cool idea and I like the way they contrast in color with the snowflakes.

3. Joanna Goddard commented
    December 17th, 2007 at 8:31am

this is SO pretty.

4. Adla commented
    December 17th, 2007 at 11:36am

so so clever ,such a whimsical idea.

5. al commented
    July 2nd, 2008 at 5:17pm

my mom made these dried orange slices as ornaments for our outdoor tree – i think the birds loved them, so that was pretty cool!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks