Furniture Finds {on etsy}

Do you think Etsy is only for finding softies, pillows, and prints? While they have a super selection of those things, they also have some great furniture that ranges from quality flat packed creations to hardwood tables made in Vermont. It’s amazing who finds their way to etsy and builds a storefront there, the range is amazing! So let’s look at some furniture from a few of my favorite etsy sellers.

Delightful decoupage from UK designer Bombus. This girl is so creative, my goodness. Her chairs are fantastic, Living Etc. worthy for sure. Her Comic decoupage chair already made the pages of the London Times!

Next we have the work of Flat Pattern. This guy has quite an interesting bio. His flat packed furniture is affordable and great looking. If you’re looking for something really unique, Flat Pattern is your man.

Now it’s time for retro modern galore over at Lunar Lounge Design. My favorite is the Leentu lounge chair because I love the lines and that it’s available in cream.

This may be way out of the price range of most, but for those truly wanting something unique and extremely well made, Melia Design in the UK makes some pretty amazing contemporary pieces. Their plasma tv unit is gorgeous.

Nashville-based Ruppel Design Group creates classic shaker styles using wood from the forests of Tennessee. Their work is exquisite, and who doesn’t love a handmade rocking chair?

Baroque inspired furniture with wood frames and an overcoat of soft skin rubber, is Modern Front joking? Oh no. Their brightly hued furniture blows the mind, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it outside of movie (or cartoon!). The white plastic fantastic chair is quite an eye catcher!

Los Angeles business Mod Mom Furniture designs and builds furniture in her garage. Can this lady be any cooler? I love a girl in a tool belt. Her furniture is mainly geared towards kids, but some of them could be used in alternate ways, for instance the Maisie Chair in the kitchen, I’d add my lagoon checker storage box from Hable Construction on top, and store all of our tea’s tea bottles inside (we’re addicts). Or it would work as a simple low table for a tall plant. Go mom, go!

Using woods that are native to northern Vermont such as cherry, maple and ash, Bergman Fine Furniture consists of one man – a RISD grad passionate about furniture making. He has his own workshop creating pieces inspired by the early Biedermeier movement. Superb!

Need a custom headboard? Try Aboveboard Products. Nice options if you’re looking for something that’s not in every store in town.

I don’t know much about Michael Arras, but I do know that he makes the most gorgeous chair (shown right) I’ve seen in a long time that’s actually affordable. It’s stunning, I love the curves, the simplicity, and the cotton webbed upholstery is fantastic. It’s one I’ve been looking at for about a month and I can’t decide whether to just break down and order it for my bedroom or not.

Custom cubes from Philly girl dkoss2. Life size cuteness squared. I saw these things and had to post them because they’re absolutely odd but also quite fun and could work in the dorm room as a table or something. I just don’t know what yet. :)

Looking for more, how about this vintage enamel table or this oak table? I think I’ll round up some vintage furniture dealers on etsy, as well as those that sell the best vintage finds over all. Have any suggestions for me? I have several bookmarked, but I love a little reader input so fess up. :)

(images from etsy sellers linked above)

Posted by decor8 in etsy, furniture on December 19, 2007

1. Kannon commented
    December 19th, 2007 at 9:30pm

I <3 friend cubes.

2. Michelle commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 5:01am

The cube is from a video game. :)

3. Jennifer commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 5:05am

These are terrific finds!

4. Making it Lovely commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 5:53am

Eee! It’s Companion Cube!

I don’t play a lot of video games (Brandon does), but I loooved Portal. I wrote about it in an uncharacteristic post a couple months ago. You might like the song. :)

5. decor8 commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 6:11am

Video game? Song? Portal? Okay I need a lesson in pop culture because I’ve never heard of this game and I actually do play them from time to tome. :) Time for me to google.

6. Anonymous commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 6:55am

i don’t know about you guys, but I think $450 for a small little side table from Bergman Fine Furniture is a little ridiculously expensive.

7. decor8 commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 7:21am

Hi Anon – I know that it does seem high, especially when you compare it to what you can find in big box stores or even places like Room and Board. But I think the important thing to keep in mind is that this is made by a man in northern Vermont in his private studio, it’s made by him, it’s a crafted well, and the wood is solid vs. the veneers so commonly used in big box stores. I think it’s really important to consider the time it must take him to build something like this from start to finish – maybe 4-5 hours or more? You take the time, materials and then the cost and do the math and he isn’t getting rich making these pieces when you figure it must take about a day to do a piece, maybe longer.

I don’t want to come across like a know it all, but I think that most people don’t give a lot of thought to production and materials. I think a lot of his items are actually priced lower than I’d expect for this level of craftsmanship, like his coffee table – I think it’s around $400. That’s unbeatable for what you’re getting.

8. Kelleigh commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 12:55pm

I had no idea furniture could be purchased on Etsy. The decoupage chairs are beautiful and I love the ample headboards. Great finds – all the pieces are really beautiful.

9. meliadesign commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 2:27pm

HAPPY CHRISTMAS DECOR8!!
    Thanks so much for the lovely comments about our furniture (Melia Design UK). I was going to drop you a line to tell you about what we do, then I saw that you had already discovered us on Etsy…what a nice surprise!
    Folks might also like to visit our website < < www.meliadesign.co.uk >> We are adding to it all the time, so keep your eyes peeled for new designs.
    And best wishes of the season to you and all your readers! Have a great Christmas, and may 2008 bring you all wish for.
    x x x

10. Carolina Eclectic commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 3:18pm

I agree with the previous comment. There is a lot to be said about a handmade product from solid wood. If by chance you find a solid wood piece of furniture in a retail store, it will probably cost thousands not hundreds.
    Anyway, I love the Voltaire Chair in orange! Plastic Fantastic, indeed.

11. Mod Mom Furniture commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 4:41pm

Thanks for including my furniture in your post! And thanks for appreciating what goes into building these pieces.

Kiersten

12. adesignaffair commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 4:56pm

Thanks for the etsy furniture finds. Sometimes someone elses eye ‘searching’ on etsy makes all the difference.

13. Cher Ami commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 5:54pm

i actually never thought to look for furniture on etsy…awesome finds!

14. amanda L. commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 7:09pm

Oh, awesome post today. I work at Etsy and our furniture section is one of my favorite categories, not to mention one I wistfully would like to see triple or quadruple in size. Most of the these shops are already among my favorites!

15. Amelia commented
    December 20th, 2007 at 10:24pm

Thanks so much for featuring my furniture. Its great to see someone flying the flag for the forgotten category! Great job

16. eclectica miami commented
    December 28th, 2007 at 12:05am

I don’t sell my furniture on Etsy, yet, but I do at my store in Miami. Revamping and Reusing is my thing:
    http://www.myspace.com/eclecticamiami and check out photos. And here’s my Etsy store for now: eclecticamiami.etsy.com
    Thanks for realizing that there’s a whole lotta vintage out there worth taking a look at!

17. pine furniture commented
    May 13th, 2008 at 6:41am

Thanks for sharing all these nice & special furniture. They inspire me a lot!