Boston Globe: Update

Would you like to know about my shopping trip with the Boston Globe on Saturday? Since some of you have asked, I’ll give you the scoop. A Globe correspondent and her photographer met up with me in the South End and since the article will focus on decor8 and shopping, my mission was to take them to a few of my favorite home stores. Shopping? Did someone say shopping? Sign me up!

Fresh blooms today from my friend Tammy.

I arrived 20 minutes early (you never want to be late for an interview) and spent that time talking to the shop owner and cruising the store to familiarize myself with all the products since a lot had changed since I was there a few weeks ago. I thought that by the time everyone arrived I’d be a freaking out nervous wreck but just the opposite — I felt so excited and ready to get started when the writer and photographer arrived. I was told to walk the store and talk about products, how to use them in in the home, and answer general questions while the photographer trailed us shooting the whole time. I’m not sure what kicked in, but it was the easiest most natural thing in the world for me to do, and so much fun. Like I had prepared my whole life for that moment. But I hadn’t, it was my first time ever doing something like this so even I was surprised by how second nature it was. All I could imagine was hosting a show taking the audience shopping with me around the world to all my favorite independent stores. Kind of like decor8 only on cable. Hey, a girl can dream. But that vision was one I had as I shopped and it was extremely exciting to play pretend for the day.

Boston Globe photographer

We visited about 5 stores and at each stop when they introduced me, the stores already knew who I was and starting talking about decor8, my trip to Germany, and other things they read here that they’ve enjoyed. It was so nice to learn that local shop owners enjoy reading this blog and use it as a resource to find new talent. Each store we visited welcomed us with open arms. Later in the day, I learned that even the Globe correspondent is a loyal decor8 reader for 1.5 years now. I guess even I sometimes forget the reach of blogs!

At the final store, we spent about 30 minutes on posed shots. Holly on the chair, Holly looking out of the window, Holly standing before the dining table, Holly perched on the end of the bed. It was fun working with a pro directing each pose, especially amidst a busy retail environment. I wasn’t scared at all, just the opposite. I kept thinking about those who read the article and how they’ll be introduced to blogging and will eventually meet not just those I write about, but all the great blogs that I read and support too. I’m sure the photos that run in the paper will reflect the happiness I felt because it was one of those days that I’ll remember for the rest of my life. I can’t believe that the girl that who worked a desk job dreaming of how I’d be out on my own doing what I love someday was experiencing this - you know? For me, it was huge.

After the shopping trip it was interview time. The photographer went his way, so we grabbed a table at a local restaurant and then a recording device appeared on the table and it was time to get down to business. I felt totally at ease. The conversation was centered mainly around decor8, blogging, and the community that exists online, along with those that have encouraged and supported decor8, what matters to me and why I do it. Other topics including my background and family life were also discussed, etc. I really appreciated her enthusiasm and energy, it was refreshing and I look forward to reading the article when it runs at the end of the month.

So for those who have emailed and asked me, that was my day. :) I will be taking some time off this afternoon to work on a project, but I’ll be blogging later tonight so I’ll see you soon.

(photos from holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration, small business on January 08, 2008

1. elizabeth@shoptwig commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 6:53pm

What fun! Sounds like a great interview. I do hope you will post the piece for thos of us not in Boston. : )

2. decor8 commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 6:56pm

Hi Elizabeth! :) Yes, I will scan it and post it and also include the link because I’m pretty sure it will also be on boston.com

3. simplesong commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 8:13pm

That’s so great; you’re a natural! Look forward to seeing the article.

4. J commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 8:46pm

That sounds so fun! I can’t wait to read the article.

5. melissa @ the inspired room commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 8:58pm

Thanks so much for sharing your exciting experience, I can feel your enthusiasm leaping off the page! Sounds like it was a dream come true for you! Looking forward to reading the article.

Melissa

6. sara commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 9:08pm

Oh my…what a fun entry. I’m glad that your nerves melted away as they did. Passion is handy in situations like that, isn’t it? :P

Congrats! Looking forward to the article.

7. JHill commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 9:10pm

that sounds so fun. i can’t wait to see what stores you went to!

8. Jo commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 10:14pm

hi holly-
    your day sounds fabulous and maybe a cable show is in your future!
    i think you have blogged about the artist before but her name escapes me…could you tell me who did the ferris wheel photo in the first picture? thanks!

9. Robin commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 10:22pm

I love your enthusiasm in this post. Your personality and happiness in your life really shines through. I love it when people, especially women, aren’t afraid to feel giddy and proud of themselves for being recognized. Way to go Holly!

10. j commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 10:26pm

sounds like a great day! I did think about you Saturday, but somehow, I knew you’d be having a great time. :)

I was telling my family about your interview/day and we were discussing how happy the shop owners you selected would be.

thanks for telling about it- inside scoop, and such. I’ll be looking forward to seeing it in print. I hope they do carry it on Boston.com. that would make sense for an article about an online design blog, wouldn’t it?

11. Hammocks & High Tea commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 10:39pm

Congrats Holly! You’re one of my favorite blogs for your warmth and sincerity and I’m sure that will come across in your article.

-Karen

12. Rachel commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 11:12pm

that’s awesome, Holly. i’m glad it felt natural, and that your interview went so smoothly. i think when you are doing what you love, things just feel right.

BTW, i dug your idea about taking tv viewers around the world to introduce them to your favorite shopping hot spots. Kind of like how Rick Steves takes viewers to the best kept secrets for general travel destinations. Just a lot more specialized. I don’t get cable, but i image that would be a prime show idea, if it doesn’t already exist…

13. Leah commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 11:53pm

that’s awesome!!! congrats, holly!

14. Carla commented
    January 8th, 2008 at 11:56pm

Congrats Holly!

15. Magpie Designs commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 12:04am

I.am.so.jealous. LOL. Congrats! That sounds terrific. Can’t wait to read it!

16. Jess commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 12:37am

Holly, I’m so glad it went well! I was eagerly waiting to hear your report. Sounds like it couldn’t have been better, and I’m sure the writer and photographer loved spending time with you in your element.

17. mary commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 12:58am

Wow. What a dream come true! It’s amazing how easy it is to talk about and communicate something you’re absolutely passionate about. Take this and run with it! I sense more to come for you! :)

18. decor8 commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 12:59am

19. karen commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 4:06am

i love that ferris wheel print in the first picture; where did you get it from?

20. Lili commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 5:16am

I am so excited for you Holly! Congrats on the great day! you deserve it.

21. kat commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 9:12am

Holly: Its a short step from here to television…. : ) Look forward to seeing the article.

22. tambra commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 12:40pm

Quoting Holly:
    “I guess even I sometimes forget the reach of blogs!”

Don’t ever doubt the “power” of your blog! I’m a designer in the Memphis area, and there are almost no stores in my area that offers the style and products that your blog beautifully delivers to my screen every day…

I struggle here with the desire to implement individuality and freshness into interiors, while knowing that I’m going against the primary influences on my clients: mass retail.

Don’t get me wrong- I love the convenience and affordability of the “big boxers”… It’s REALLY hard to yank me away from the West Elm catalog- however, I’d like to have a lot more handmade and European-inspired presences in the Memphis area to help shape my clients’ perceptions.

This is where you come in! Since that design aesthetic is pretty non-existent here, the power of your blog is imperative to me in giving people a “visual cue” to fresh ideas that they don’t see while out-and-about in the area.

As well as wonderful inspiration, your site is such a great venue for handmade artisans to get exposure to the general public and for modern “real world budget” designs to be a focus. The more people who read your blog, the better our chances to see creative and attainable ways to live beautifully.

For the first time, the 3000 mile gap between New York and Los Angeles is getting smaller because information and inspiration is able to be seen at the click of a mouse. The attention you are getting helps SO much in educating different parts of the country about trends, ideas, and OPTIONS that the average person never sees in their own hometown or city. YAY!!!

Sorry for the dissertation, but I want you to be as proud as possible about your 15 HOURS of fame because you deserve it and more is certainly on the way.

You (and all of the independent artisans who read/follow you here) are capable of every single dream you have… I’ve seen so many “outrageous” thoughts turn into reality- trust me:

“Leap, and the net will appear!”
    (zen saying)

Many congrats and I can’t wait to check out the article… :)

23. Sidsel_._ commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 12:59pm

Congrats Holly – sound like a dream come true, a perfect day and new doors opening… Thanks for sharing this your passions. Wishing you a prosperous 2008.

24. Jo commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 2:08pm

25. lush commented
    January 9th, 2008 at 3:32pm

i can’t wait to read this holly!

26. modmom commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 6:23am

thanks for sharing. i get the feeling you’re naturally outgoing, relaxed + confident + don’t mind the spotlight. i on the other hand am shy to reply to a request from a magazine for an interview + photo spread of my home. i was interviewed in the palo alto newspaper this summer, but i didn’t link it on my blog for a long time until i was sure no pictures were on the online article. it’s partly to protect my daughter, but i’m shy too.
    i need some tips on handling the spotlight.

27. annechovie commented
    January 11th, 2008 at 1:30am

That is awesome, Holly! I wish someone WOULD put you on a show, esp. on HGTV. It would be SO much more interesting than all the redundant remodel programs. It could be like Rachel Ray’s Tasty Travels, except instead of food, it would feature shops, art and decor. I would certainly watch and I know since you already have a global following, a ton of other peope would be fans also. You have a real warmth and have been so nice to so many people (esp. indie artisans) that it’s going to come back to you, I promise!