Books + Magazines

The Left Bank Look {book}

January 10, 2008

This week I thought I’d give you a peek inside the pages of my latest favorite book, The Left Bank Look by Anne Hubert. I picked up the German copy Anders Als Die Andern while I was in Germany last year, but didn’t want to show it to you since all the text is in German and it’s largely a how-to book so you’d need to be able to read it to fully enjoy all the great ideas Anne presents. I researched the title back in September and discovered that it would be released this year in English so I pre-ordered it on Amazon (only $11!) and it arrived yesterday. I’m so happy that now I can share it with you. If you’re even slightly on the crafty side, you’re going to love it.

The Left Bank Look {book}
Anne Hubert lives in Paris and works as freelance textile designer and owner of Cherry on the Cake. She loves to customize pre-existing materials giving them her unique personal stamp. The Left Bank Look is a refreshing DIY book because most of the projects can be completed rather quickly with little sewing involved and allow you to get as creative as you wish. Love that part. Go wild!

The Left Bank Look {book}I love how she uses images of shoes, cherries, and
her friends to add life to her striped pillows.

In her book, Anne uses the basic elements, t-shirts, shoes, linens, tea towels, etc. that you already own and shows you how to transform them into something personal with a French twist. Projects that range from dyeing, painting, image transfers (my favorite), each technique is easy and the results are fresh and funky.

I want to try the elbow patches project (love them) with floral fabric against a plan white cotton top and the Polaroid image transfer technique taking photos and bringing plain white curtains new life with a subtle pattern.

The Left Bank Look {book}The Left Bank Look {book}Polaroids and doilies transform mundane sheers.

The Left Bank Look {book}The Left Bank Look {book}Elbow patches – not just for kids. I want to do this to a few shirts for Spring.

The Left Bank Look {book}The Left Bank Look {book}The Left Bank Look {book}Anne suggests using what you already have and
then add some of your personal style with items ranging from
doilies to your favorite fabric scraps.

The Left Bank Look {book} Same book only in German with a different cover.

Doesn’t this book look great? I was waiting and waiting to share it with you, I’m thrilled it’s now in English and I hope you’ll find it as interesting and inspirational as I do.

Would you like to know more about designer/author Anne Hubert? Click here to read an interview that Lisaa had with her recently.

(photographs taken by holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply ashley anne January 10, 2008 at 7:15 pm

I immediately ordered a copy! Thank you for the fantastic find!

• Reply S.HOPkins January 10, 2008 at 7:19 pm

This has instantly moved up to the top of my “must have” list. I’m salivating over each and every post today…so inspiring!!

• Reply Uncle Beefy January 10, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Looks great! But then pretty much anything French is fab in my book. J’taime!

• Reply mikodesign January 10, 2008 at 8:37 pm

I have the book in french,it’s great, easy projects, pretty pictures.

• Reply Lauren January 10, 2008 at 8:55 pm

The book is great, but I have to know what the T stands for on your cute Fringe plate? Don’t you love Fringe? Great designs reminiscent of John Derian at a MUCH friendlier price-point.

• Reply Carolina Eclectic January 10, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Every picture is so inspiring. I even love the idea of the elbow patches!

• Reply emma ::emmas designblogg:: January 10, 2008 at 9:02 pm

This book seems great, I’ll add it to my birthday wishlist!
    I don’t know if you saw it, but in December I put a picture or two of her products on my blog, since they are sold at the BoBo gallery where I worked for a couple of days when G?raldine, the owner, was in Paris. Here is the post on the gallery:

• Reply decor8 January 10, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Emma dear – Thank you for that link, I’m going straight over to your blog now to check that out. :)

Lauren – That “T” plate belongs to my husband Thorsten (silent H), it sits on his nightstand. It’s where he rests his glasses at night. :)

• Reply AphroChic January 11, 2008 at 12:14 am

I feel like this is fate! I am currently exploring creating my own textiles and housewares collection, and this book will be a real inspiration. I am going to buy it right now.

• Reply Debbie Miller January 11, 2008 at 1:49 am

great find, thanks. I LOVE the snowflakes in some of the photos, where did you get those??

• Reply Anna at D16 January 11, 2008 at 3:42 am

OK, I need this right now!!

• Reply kis January 11, 2008 at 3:50 am

Love this.

I added doilies (+ a few ribbons) to my sheers for the 07 cleanup. How cool to see someone else do it too!

Great showcase. Thank you.

• Reply decor8 January 11, 2008 at 4:18 am

debbie – I think I got the crochet snowflakes at anthropologie, in fact i am almost certain. :)

• Reply January 11, 2008 at 11:47 am

I’m going over to Amazon to buy this right now!

• Reply Anna Spiro January 11, 2008 at 11:57 am

Love the look of this! Thanks for showing!

• Reply hang tight studio January 11, 2008 at 1:58 pm

This is a definite “must buy” & a steal for $11. Merci!!!

• Reply Cheryl January 11, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Gotta Have it! Thanks so much for the tip.

• Reply kayte January 11, 2008 at 6:25 pm

thanks for the tip! i am constantly adding to my craft book collection, for “research” purposes of course!
    i love european and japanese craft books especially because of their aethetic. american craft books tend to be a little rockabilly which is not really my style.

• Reply Aude January 14, 2008 at 9:37 am

Dear Holly,
    I am glad to know this book is finally available in English. I think I mentioned it once in my comments as it’s my favorite craft book. The collection it belongs to (Marabout d’ficelle by Marabout Editions) has other little jewels like this one.
    If I may, I’d suggest Pochoirs & Cie by maisongeorgette (a duo of designers) and Guirlandes de lumi?re by Nathalie Delahaye…
    Voil? !