Home Tours, Rooms

Reader Spaces: Visit the Chan Nursery

January 14, 2008

I have a few pretty spaces to show you today, the first is of a modern nursery in Vancouver, Canada. I rarely feature kid’s design but since these parents use many things that can be placed in an adult space, such as independent art and a fantastic tile rug, all can find inspiration from this colorful nursery. The space belongs to Tracy Harvey-Chan and her husband Francis Chan, Tracy proudly expressed that Francis was just as responsible for the design as she was. It’s great to see both parents having equal input on the design and I love that they teamed up to pull it together.
Reader Spaces: Visit the Chan Nursery
And if you wonder why there’s a sofa vs. a chair, well this first pregnancy is quite exciting for them as they’re expecting twin girls, hence the sofa for both parents to spend time with their little cuties. Let’s visit the Chan nursery, shall we? I asked Tracy a few questions…

decor8: Tell us about your inspiration…
Tracy: The walls were white and we weren’t allowed to paint, so we wanted to create a sense of nature and warmth. We started to do this through color – woodsy browns, mossy greens and sky blues, the reclaimed lumber shelf and the animal theme which runs throughout. We also liked the mix of modern, clean lines with the antique, ornate frames and shelf.

decor8: What was the first thing you picked up for this room?
Tracy: The first would be the squirrel painting which was given to us by a good friend, in fact all the art came before any of the necessities!

decor8: How did you decide on the colors?
Tracy: We started to decorate before we knew genders, so we wanted gender neutral colors that weren’t typical baby colors. We wanted muted colors that were drawn from nature rather than pink, blue or yellow.

Reader Spaces: Visit the Chan Nursery
decor8: Where did you find most items?
Tracy: The art came from several different artists on Etsy, the Numbers poster from Binth, antique stores, our friend Lara painted the squirrel, an old Richard Scarry book and our first Ultrasound. The baby furniture is from the Oeuf line and the carpet tiles are from Flor.

decor8: What are your 5 favorite pieces?
Tracy: The wooden plank shelf (from reclaimed lumber), ALL the art, especially the first ultrasound photo, 3. the throw (stag print) which covers the sofa is made by David Fussenegger, an Austrian designer, 4. The Jonathan Adler giraffe lamp, and 5. the stuffies above the crib (I believe this is a local artist, but unfortunately cannot remember the name).

Reader Spaces: Visit the Chan Nursery
decor8: Where do you like to shop online?
Tracy: Etsy!

decor8: Where do you click when you’re looking for design ideas and inspiration?
Tracy: Swiss Miss, Cookie magazine, Design Mom, and Fine Little Day. Most of these blogs have links to other baby type sites – an endless list to get lost in!

decor8: Any Vancouver stores you suggest for baby gear in your local hood?
Tracy: Crocodile Baby, Modern Kid, TJ’s Kids, Dandelion Kids and the Inhabit Shop.

Reader Spaces: Visit the Chan Nursery
Thank you Tracy and Francis for allowing us into this great nursery, lovely job pulling it together! Congratulations on your pregnancy, yay!

(images by tracy harvey-chan)

25 Comments

• Reply Pomegranate January 14, 2008 at 5:18 pm

So cute.. I really like how they mixed and matched frames and paintings.

• Reply Pomegranate January 14, 2008 at 5:19 pm

I noticed there’s only one crib. Do twins usually sleep in the same crib?

• Reply Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) January 14, 2008 at 6:23 pm

What a cute room. It will certainly mature well as the babies grow up. I particularly love how they used the FLOR tiles. I have FLOR in four different areas of my house and it’s just great.

• Reply Kelly January 14, 2008 at 6:34 pm

I love those curtains. Also I am a twin, I have a twin brother and it was a great growing up experience that only some are lucky enough to enjoy.

• Reply Uncle Beefy January 14, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Well done, Tracy & Francis! These are going to be two hip-n-withit ladies! Great job! Congrats!

• Reply Jennifer R. January 14, 2008 at 8:13 pm

sooo pretty and cozy. the colors look great together and the tiled carpet is my favorite!!

Jen Ramos
    ‘100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards’

• Reply We Are Not Martha January 14, 2008 at 8:13 pm

What lucky babies!! I especially love the giraffe lamp; sooo adorable :)

• Reply freshie beth January 14, 2008 at 8:18 pm

This is the best nursery I have ever seen. It definitely shows you can create a kid-friendly space that they can grow up with.

• Reply littlemithi January 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm

OMG this is SOOOOO lovely … what a design savvy pair of little girls they are gonna be!

• Reply Anonymous January 14, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Love the Flor. Tracy, what color/type are those? I’ve been ordering samples for weeks and can’t seem to find the right color blue.

• Reply Tracy January 15, 2008 at 1:13 am

Thanks everyone!

To Anon: It is hard to tell on the Flor website and it has been a while since we ordered the rug, but I think the Flor tiles that we used are from the “Toy Poodle” Collection and the blue is either the Bijou Pale Blue or the Toto Teal…. sorry, I just can’t be 100% sure!

Pomegranite: We have 2 cribs, but are waiting to set up the second one until approximately 4 months of age or when the babes are able to turn over by themselves – we are told they can share a space until this starts to happen… it is all new to us!

• Reply Design Mom January 15, 2008 at 3:56 pm

What a great space! That Binth poster never fails to make me happy.

• Reply lynne January 15, 2008 at 6:41 pm

This is such an amazing room! I love everything about it. What lucky little ones!

• Reply Jennifer January 17, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Where did you find that fabulous baby moses bassinet? I love the versatility of that piece. Absolutely lovely nursery!!

• Reply Tracy January 18, 2008 at 5:45 am

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the comment on the nursery! We got our moses baskets at a place called Crocodile Baby in Vancouver, although I have seen them at other stores.

Tracy

• Reply goodfellow January 18, 2008 at 8:20 am

Really love the stuffies over the crib…any hint as to where they may have been purchased?

• Reply Birgit January 18, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Lovely!

Where is the multicolored piece that hangs over the changing station from? Is it a coat rack?

• Reply Just Peachy January 21, 2008 at 2:20 am

Loved the pictures of your nursery. I just wondered where you found the cute blocks that are shaped like trees that are on the shelf behind the sofa. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Anonymous January 21, 2008 at 6:40 am

love, LOVE the stuffies. Please remember the local artist!

• Reply Anonymous January 23, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Love the sofa – where did you get it and is it a sleeper??

• Reply Jennifer January 24, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I love the sofa too! Where is it from?

• Reply Francis Chan February 19, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone for the kinds words on our nursery!

Here’s an inventory of some of the pieces that some people have been asking about:

Sofa – condo sofa from Upholstery Arts
    Coat Hanger – Eames Hang-It-Al, from Inform Interiors
    Wooden Shelf – reclaimed railroad tie wood, from The Cross
    Giraffe Lamp – from Jonathan Adler
    Rug – from Flor
    Endtable – from Ikea

The stuffies on the wall are from a store called Dear which is unfortunately closed down.

Hope this helps.

– Francis

• Reply dear, March 12, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Hi, for those of you who love the stuffies, here’s some info:
    The artist name is Audra Neil, she hand-made all the pieces, ranging from different kinds of cats to 2 types of dogs, elephant, giraffe, and whale! Each piece is different of course.
    Thanks for Tracey and Francis of their lovely room and pictures, I am the owner of “dear, home decor + gifts” and I am glad they love the purchase of stuffies, they even made it to their #5 favourite things!
    “dear,” has recently moved online, we just closed the physical store. Soon the online shop will be ready and to serve all of you wonderful people.
    Thanks and bye for now. ^____^

sincerely,

Win@dear,

• Reply runesha March 21, 2008 at 5:13 am

Awesome nursery. Congratulations.
    Can you please provide some information as to how you hung the stuffies on the wall. Looks like you used some sort of wooden fish hooks? Where can I find similar hooks.

• Reply stacie October 20, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Where did you get the curtains?