decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest

Have you ever visited Vermont? We live less than two hours from the border so Tee and I try to get over there whenever we can, we usually visit Brattleboro since it’s the closest and has some neat little stores and a few galleries that we enjoy browsing. Vermont is a beautiful state, it’s definitely worth a visit for either skiing in the Winter or for visiting a working farm in the Spring (I really want to do this). And from an interiors perspective, it’s a pleasure to step out of the mid century modern or ultra contemporary spaces for a little Country Chic. Ready to visit the home of an Interior Stylist based in Shelburne, Vermont?

Nest Decorating is a small design firm and art studio owned and operated by the talented Tamar Schechner, a Parsons grad who spent twenty years creating photo shoots and spreads for several magazines as Stylist and Creative Director. Now Tamar is out on her own doing what she loves – decorating homes in Vermont, dreaming up crafty projects to sell in her etsy store (she also sells wholesale to stores), being a good mother, and blogging. As for her design practice Tamar’s mission is to, “Make my clients as comfortable as possible, to truly understand the way their home functions and to work around their needs and possibilities creating a great inspirational space for them to live in and come home to.”

The stairs once had a tired berber rug but when they purchased the home the rug was removed to reveal plywood (eek!) so they painted it a fun green.

Work studio space

Her mother’s painting, “Spring” (part of a series of four) installed above the back door. It’s beautiful above the door and yes, that is a pink door.

This Japanese kimono belonged to her mother when she was little, she was born in Shanghai in 1931 so this is a most cherished piece deserving center stage above her chest of drawers.

The patterned blanket at the foot of the bed is from Urban Outfitters, the chair cushion is a tea towel, and the red floral painting (in the black frame) was painted by her mother.

A clever way to display her earrings – a window screen repurposed!

Some of the things she makes and sells in her etsy store.

A cozy spot to read complete with a rug from IKEA and an old chair with fabric tacked onto it.

Looking into her kitchen.

A country kitchen is hardly complete without colorful dishware.

Thank you Tamar for allowing us into your country home today – it’s colorful, creative, and full of life, warmth, and positive energy. I really enjoy all the art in each room and the stories so many of your things can tell. That’s truly what makes a house a home. Thank you again!

(images from tamar schechner)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on January 18, 2008

1. corine@Hidden In France commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 5:04am

How? How do you do it? each week you manage to come up come up with my absolutely favorite post of the week! This house is so personal, so happy and so unassuming. I absolutely love it.

2. Pina commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 7:33am

Beautiful. So colorful. So cozy.

3. We Are Not Martha commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 8:03am

I just bought a new comforter today, but I really really like the one in the first picture. I like everything about that picture. Can I move in??

Sues

4. Yvonne commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 8:55am

Thanks Holly for this lovely feature! You have such a good eye for picking out the right photos. I just want to say hi to Tamar, who’s style I love; “Hi Tamar”.

5. trendinsights commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 9:56am

Wow! You have a really cool blog on interior designs! Indeed inspiring~

6. Rosie's Whimsy commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 1:16pm

I love Tamar’s work. She is so talented. Her blog is one I check out daily :-)

7. Felicia commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 1:39pm

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into Tamar’s beautiful world :)

8. NEW YORK MUHTARI commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 2:32pm

I am speechless… this is the kind of home that I can imagine to live in..

Any roommate needed??

Amazing job in the house Tamar & an amazing host to share such a wonderful house by Decor8!

Thanks both…

9. Funky Finds commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 3:46pm

beautiful & so cheerful! love all the great colors.

10. Amy commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 3:56pm

I’ve been a fan of Tamar’s blog for nearly a year now-it’s terrific seeing more of her wonderful jewelry box of a home! And hurrah for the Ikea kilim rug-I have a version in a different color way and it’s one of my favorite things.

11. Liz commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 5:34pm

Wow! Thanks so much for this post, I’m so excited and inspired!

12. The Wooden Spool commented
    January 18th, 2008 at 5:50pm

so gorgeous! What a fun house!

13. s. commented
    January 20th, 2008 at 3:34pm

oh can i move in today?? i am in love with her workspace. i totally love peeking in to others’ workspaces…especially since i have NO workspace right now…i moved in with my parents…transition time as i like to call it…so this posting was a real treat…beautiful home!

14. Jennifer at Design Hole commented
    January 20th, 2008 at 10:37pm

That’s a very nicely done house. It’s very personal, great use of color, and a wonderful sense of style. Bravo.

15. karlita commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 6:37am

Hi, I just discovered your blog through tamar and i love it! I hope you don’t mind but i blogged a little about finding you: http://karlitashop.blogspot.com/ and i love tamar’s work – i own two of her beautiful flowerpins!!

16. lush commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 6:40pm

hello tamar! another beautiful inspiring post holly.

17. caroleldridge commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 1:55pm

love the photos of creative people’s nests…the home should reflect those who live there and Tamar’s beautiful spirit certainly comes through. I love to decorate with my collections and photographs so they surround me and I can enjoy them each day.

thanks,
    carol

18. IMEDAGOZE commented
    January 24th, 2008 at 10:49am

what a lovely home, and it sure shows on her etsy shop too. It seems that she has the creative blood running in the family, her mother’s painting is just stunning!!

19. boliyou commented
    January 24th, 2008 at 6:07pm

I love the artwork above the bed. Where did she find it??