Home Tours

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest

January 18, 2008

Have you ever visited Vermont? We live less than two hours from the border so Tee and I try to get over there whenever we can, we usually visit Brattleboro since it’s the closest and has some neat little stores and a few galleries that we enjoy browsing. Vermont is a beautiful state, it’s definitely worth a visit for either skiing in the Winter or for visiting a working farm in the Spring (I really want to do this). And from an interiors perspective, it’s a pleasure to step out of the mid century modern or ultra contemporary spaces for a little Country Chic. Ready to visit the home of an Interior Stylist based in Shelburne, Vermont?

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest
Nest Decorating is a small design firm and art studio owned and operated by the talented Tamar Schechner, a Parsons grad who spent twenty years creating photo shoots and spreads for several magazines as Stylist and Creative Director. Now Tamar is out on her own doing what she loves – decorating homes in Vermont, dreaming up crafty projects to sell in her etsy store (she also sells wholesale to stores), being a good mother, and blogging. As for her design practice Tamar’s mission is to, “Make my clients as comfortable as possible, to truly understand the way their home functions and to work around their needs and possibilities creating a great inspirational space for them to live in and come home to.”

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont NestThe stairs once had a tired berber rug but when they purchased the home the rug was removed to reveal plywood (eek!) so they painted it a fun green.

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nestdecor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest Work studio space

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest
decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont NestHer mother’s painting, “Spring” (part of a series of four) installed above the back door. It’s beautiful above the door and yes, that is a pink door.

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nestdecor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest This Japanese kimono belonged to her mother when she was little, she was born in Shanghai in 1931 so this is a most cherished piece deserving center stage above her chest of drawers.

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest The patterned blanket at the foot of the bed is from Urban Outfitters, the chair cushion is a tea towel, and the red floral painting (in the black frame) was painted by her mother.

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest A clever way to display her earrings – a window screen repurposed!

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest Some of the things she makes and sells in her etsy store.

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest A cozy spot to read complete with a rug from IKEA and an old chair with fabric tacked onto it.

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest Looking into her kitchen.

decor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nestdecor8 Reader Spaces: Tour a Vermont Nest A country kitchen is hardly complete without colorful dishware.

Thank you Tamar for allowing us into your country home today – it’s colorful, creative, and full of life, warmth, and positive energy. I really enjoy all the art in each room and the stories so many of your things can tell. That’s truly what makes a house a home. Thank you again!

(images from tamar schechner)

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

• Reply corine@Hidden In France January 18, 2008 at 5:04 am

How? How do you do it? each week you manage to come up come up with my absolutely favorite post of the week! This house is so personal, so happy and so unassuming. I absolutely love it.

• Reply Pina January 18, 2008 at 7:33 am

Beautiful. So colorful. So cozy.

• Reply We Are Not Martha January 18, 2008 at 8:03 am

I just bought a new comforter today, but I really really like the one in the first picture. I like everything about that picture. Can I move in??

Sues

• Reply Yvonne January 18, 2008 at 8:55 am

Thanks Holly for this lovely feature! You have such a good eye for picking out the right photos. I just want to say hi to Tamar, who’s style I love; “Hi Tamar”.

• Reply trendinsights January 18, 2008 at 9:56 am

Wow! You have a really cool blog on interior designs! Indeed inspiring~

• Reply Rosie's Whimsy January 18, 2008 at 1:16 pm

I love Tamar’s work. She is so talented. Her blog is one I check out daily :-)

• Reply Felicia January 18, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into Tamar’s beautiful world :)

• Reply NEW YORK MUHTARI January 18, 2008 at 2:32 pm

I am speechless… this is the kind of home that I can imagine to live in..

Any roommate needed??

Amazing job in the house Tamar & an amazing host to share such a wonderful house by Decor8!

Thanks both…

• Reply Funky Finds January 18, 2008 at 3:46 pm

beautiful & so cheerful! love all the great colors.

• Reply Amy January 18, 2008 at 3:56 pm

I’ve been a fan of Tamar’s blog for nearly a year now-it’s terrific seeing more of her wonderful jewelry box of a home! And hurrah for the Ikea kilim rug-I have a version in a different color way and it’s one of my favorite things.

• Reply Liz January 18, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Wow! Thanks so much for this post, I’m so excited and inspired!

• Reply The Wooden Spool January 18, 2008 at 5:50 pm

so gorgeous! What a fun house!

• Reply s. January 20, 2008 at 3:34 pm

oh can i move in today?? i am in love with her workspace. i totally love peeking in to others’ workspaces…especially since i have NO workspace right now…i moved in with my parents…transition time as i like to call it…so this posting was a real treat…beautiful home!

• Reply Jennifer at Design Hole January 20, 2008 at 10:37 pm

That’s a very nicely done house. It’s very personal, great use of color, and a wonderful sense of style. Bravo.

• Reply karlita January 22, 2008 at 6:37 am

Hi, I just discovered your blog through tamar and i love it! I hope you don’t mind but i blogged a little about finding you: http://karlitashop.blogspot.com/ and i love tamar’s work – i own two of her beautiful flowerpins!!

• Reply lush January 22, 2008 at 6:40 pm

hello tamar! another beautiful inspiring post holly.

• Reply caroleldridge January 23, 2008 at 1:55 pm

love the photos of creative people’s nests…the home should reflect those who live there and Tamar’s beautiful spirit certainly comes through. I love to decorate with my collections and photographs so they surround me and I can enjoy them each day.

thanks,
    carol

• Reply IMEDAGOZE January 24, 2008 at 10:49 am

what a lovely home, and it sure shows on her etsy shop too. It seems that she has the creative blood running in the family, her mother’s painting is just stunning!!

• Reply boliyou January 24, 2008 at 6:07 pm

I love the artwork above the bed. Where did she find it??