Bloggers

An Angel At My Table Blog

January 22, 2008

Mari Eriksson authors a beautiful blog called An Angel at my Table and though it’s in Swedish her more recent posts contain a bit of English so you can follow along. It’s filled with photos of her home and workspace that are nothing short of inspirational and lovely. There are so many things that I enjoy about her home, from the white wood floors to the industrial pieces living so nicely alongside modern country, chandeliers, and great vintage finds (like the lockers and her sewing machine). Isn’t this a glowing space?

An Angel At My Table Blog
Mari lives in Sweden and as I drool over her magazine worthy abode, I’m left to wonder what this obviously talented lady does for a living. A designer? stylist? photographer? She doesn’t mention it in her blog. Her home has lots of character and positive energy, everything is arranged so effortlessly chic!

Pairing unexpected things seems to be a theme here in Mari’s home. All of the furniture appears to have modern clean lines no matter what period it is from. Good tip to note when you try this look at home. Select furniture that coordinates by color/wood – select a few that you like, i.e. gray, white, and medium wood tones for instance, and then by style like clean modern lines (works best). If you have a curvy piece, you can add it to create a little tension but go easy on mixing curvy with straight because you won’t be able to pull off Mari’s look if this is what you’re going for. I’d consider one curvy dresser or desk and leave it at that.

An Angel At My Table BlogAn Angel At My Table BlogAn Angel At My Table BlogAn Angel At My Table BlogAn Angel At My Table Blog
I love the idea of using a bench along the wall in an eating nook. It’s a clever use of space because if you live in small quarters a slim bench is so practical. You can also look for one with a lift up seat to provide additional storage. My friend in Montreal uses a detailed vintage church pew (like this one only with a clear stain) that she purchased at a flea market and it’s topped with a simple white linen cushion. The detailed carvings and overall patina of the wood paired with her white-washed farm table and white Bertoia side chairs looks so nice.

Show of hands… How many would like to move in? :)

{1/22 3:48 pm update: Thanks to a few comments below, it was revealed that Mari is a photographer. Thank you Linnea and Annemeike!}

(images from mari eriksson)

You Might Also Like

35 Comments

• Reply Erin T January 22, 2008 at 7:10 pm

I’d like to move in – it’s lovely!

• Reply Maya January 22, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Me, me, me. I would definitely like to move in. Love the clean lines, fresh white and the little splashes of color here and there.

• Reply Lena January 22, 2008 at 7:16 pm

wonderful photos. thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply alliehoopes January 22, 2008 at 8:31 pm

I’ve never loved the color white so much!

• Reply Linnea January 22, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I might remember wrong, but I think she is a photographer. :)
    And yes, I’d move in at once, if I could!

• Reply Annemieke January 22, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Lovely home indeed … obviously someone with an ‘aesthetic eye’ … turns out she’s a photographer … and there’s even an article about her home that appeared in a magazine. See Marie’s homepage: http://hem.bredband.net/marieriksson/press.html

• Reply Anonymous January 22, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Her style is wonderful! She must be quite modest, she does not seem to have any photos on the walls:)

• Reply Kristin January 22, 2008 at 9:51 pm

I would move in in a heartbeat! I love how understated the entire look is, yet it feels so warm and welcoming. She really nailed it!

• Reply Mys liv och hem January 22, 2008 at 9:55 pm

I agree.She has a beutyful home and takes wonderful pictures and YES I would move in for sure :)

• Reply Rachel January 22, 2008 at 11:12 pm

It is so lovely, full of charm and personality.

• Reply moline January 22, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Absolutely fabulous. love the mixture. Added her to my blog people list immediately. Everything looks so effortlessly chic. it is clean and simple and a bit minimalistic but has so much vintage and shabby chic charme. What a wonderful balance!

• Reply TJ January 23, 2008 at 1:38 am

It loks like your typical swedish home. It’s neat and white. It doesn’t wow me,that’s all I have seen since blogs became popular. There are homes in the states that are GORGEOUS!

• Reply 2bjane January 23, 2008 at 2:35 am

tj,

No offense to you but most blogs and magazines here in American are saturated in either contemporary, mid century modern, or that over the top design like Domino and all their rich socialite homes. I’m completely gagging over what’s considered in vogue here lately. It’s all so tired and boring and when I read Domino lately it’s like half the homes look like a place my grandmother would be really keen on, in Floria.

jane

• Reply Marisa and Creative Thursday January 23, 2008 at 2:57 am

Oh of course I love this. It reminds me of Germany. And I have to say I agree a bit with Jane, above. Lately I am so very bored with American fashion and home design. I can’t put my finger on exactly what it is that is so different, and appealing with European design. Maybe it just feels more authentic, and graciously lived in instead of consumer oriented and “plastic”. Also our version of clean, “modern” design is sooooo COLD.
    Thank you for sharing these!! :) I’m inspired again!

• Reply Uncle Beefy January 23, 2008 at 3:14 am

I really like the place. I myself am inexplicably drawn to color but love to look at pared down palettes like this one…so calming. The Scandinavians got it goin’ on! Truth be told I could have 3 or 4 houses to appeal to all my aesthetic drives! Particularly like the “studio” pics as I am in the process of redoing mine…very inspiring!

• Reply Jennifer R. January 23, 2008 at 4:12 am

these are great shots….i really LOVE the work station…wonder where they got it from???? I’m really looking for something similar..

Jen Ramos
    ‘100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards’

• Reply Alicia January 23, 2008 at 4:30 am

Is Mari on flickr? I love to favorite all these amazing photos!

• Reply skyemermaid January 23, 2008 at 4:42 am

i would move in but i’d either (1) leave my kids behind in our old house, or (2) stain the white floors something darker.

• Reply Anonymous January 23, 2008 at 5:18 am

Wow! What a sweet home. I’d love to move in…and the bedspread is even better. Just feel like spending a nice holiday with my better half..

Regards

Kartik
    Fashion Evangelist
    We Blog at http://www.fashionnetworking.blogspot.com

• Reply marie January 23, 2008 at 8:02 am

this and the last post are so so lovely! merci!

• Reply Swedish January 23, 2008 at 10:06 am

This home is just wonderful! I could move in at once…

Having a large wooden sofa or a bench in the kitchen is a very old Swedish tradition. In the old days the maid or the children slept in the sofa (It is possible to open the seating/lid and make a bed).

• Reply mondo cherry January 23, 2008 at 10:09 am

Beautiful, relaxing house – stylish with just the right amount of ‘stuff’. I have stumbled across your blog just recently am enjoying catching up on what I have been missing. Thanks!

• Reply Coloribus January 23, 2008 at 10:33 am

I like much the simplicity and the elegance of the white, here a link to see 2 pages of an old number of the French magazine : Le magazine de la Maison (“the newspaper of the house”).

• Reply Liss January 23, 2008 at 2:52 pm

So many gorgeous pictures! She has done a great job with this.

…BTW, I’m new to your blog, and I love it!

• Reply Liz Cadorette January 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm

I LOVE the tall pine desk and chair — my husband and I are already trying to figure out how to make it for ourselves. Wonderful!

• Reply Cher Ami January 23, 2008 at 4:14 pm

she has a great workspace!

• Reply DecorKJG January 23, 2008 at 6:22 pm

The bedroom is perfect!!! its bright and cheery. The chandelier is so whimsical. Everything fits together so well! And I also love the lights around the mirror behind the table and chairs! Way to go.

• Reply Kennedy & Friends Co. January 24, 2008 at 1:49 am

love it…i wish my house was this orgazined!!!!

• Reply an angel at my table January 24, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Thank you decor8! I am honored to be mentioned here chez toi! And how much fun with all the people that’s moving in with us!!!!

Thanks all for the kind words!

Mari

An angel at my table

• Reply suzannemarques January 26, 2008 at 9:13 am

i wanna move in! wowowowowoowowza.
    i wish i were a photographer too so my home would look even more spectacular. this home is gorgeous

• Reply Anonymous January 28, 2008 at 3:36 am

Hello,

love this space!

Anyone know where to get that fabulous shoe rack in the states? I have so many magazines I would love to display on one.

• Reply Anonymous January 29, 2008 at 3:50 am

ACK I need a chair like that one at the IKEA countertop. WHERE TO FIND ONE?!

• Reply Minna March 9, 2008 at 3:45 pm

First – what a wonderful blog you have. I’m impressed of all the info you’ve gathered here. Wonderful source, thank you! Secondly – yes, I agree that maris house is so fantastic! She takes really good pictures, I love the light in her photos. See you soon again! Minna : )

• Reply Cammy September 14, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Very typical colour scheme of many places in Scandinavia, bar the checkered floor for homes. Nice but nothing unusual for northern europe.

• Reply ebbsingen October 20, 2008 at 5:32 pm

the link photographer above goes to wrong webpage please see Maris webpage here http://www.marifotografi.se/home.html