An Angel at my Table {Mari Eriksson}

Mari Eriksson authors a beautiful blog called An Angel at my Table and though it’s in Swedish her more recent posts contain a bit of English so you can follow along. It’s filled with photos of her home and workspace that are nothing short of inspirational and lovely. There are so many things that I enjoy about her home, from the white wood floors to the industrial pieces living so nicely alongside modern country, chandeliers, and great vintage finds (like the lockers and her sewing machine). Isn’t this a glowing space?

Mari lives in Sweden and as I drool over her magazine worthy abode, I’m left to wonder what this obviously talented lady does for a living. A designer? stylist? photographer? She doesn’t mention it in her blog. Her home has lots of character and positive energy, everything is arranged so effortlessly chic!

Pairing unexpected things seems to be a theme here in Mari’s home. All of the furniture appears to have modern clean lines no matter what period it is from. Good tip to note when you try this look at home. Select furniture that coordinates by color/wood – select a few that you like, i.e. gray, white, and medium wood tones for instance, and then by style like clean modern lines (works best). If you have a curvy piece, you can add it to create a little tension but go easy on mixing curvy with straight because you won’t be able to pull off Mari’s look if this is what you’re going for. I’d consider one curvy dresser or desk and leave it at that.

I love the idea of using a bench along the wall in an eating nook. It’s a clever use of space because if you live in small quarters a slim bench is so practical. You can also look for one with a lift up seat to provide additional storage. My friend in Montreal uses a detailed vintage church pew (like this one only with a clear stain) that she purchased at a flea market and it’s topped with a simple white linen cushion. The detailed carvings and overall patina of the wood paired with her white-washed farm table and white Bertoia side chairs looks so nice.

Show of hands… How many would like to move in? :)

{1/22 3:48 pm update: Thanks to a few comments below, it was revealed that Mari is a photographer. Thank you Linnea and Annemeike!}

(images from mari eriksson)

Posted by decor8 in blogs, Home Tours, travel on January 22, 2008

1. Erin T commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 7:10pm

I’d like to move in – it’s lovely!

2. Maya commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 7:15pm

Me, me, me. I would definitely like to move in. Love the clean lines, fresh white and the little splashes of color here and there.

3. Lena commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 7:16pm

wonderful photos. thanks for the inspiration!

4. alliehoopes commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 8:31pm

I’ve never loved the color white so much!

5. Linnea commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 8:38pm

I might remember wrong, but I think she is a photographer. :)
    And yes, I’d move in at once, if I could!

6. Annemieke commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 8:44pm

Lovely home indeed … obviously someone with an ‘aesthetic eye’ … turns out she’s a photographer … and there’s even an article about her home that appeared in a magazine. See Marie’s homepage: http://hem.bredband.net/marieriksson/press.html

7. Anonymous commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 9:33pm

Her style is wonderful! She must be quite modest, she does not seem to have any photos on the walls:)

8. Kristin commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 9:51pm

I would move in in a heartbeat! I love how understated the entire look is, yet it feels so warm and welcoming. She really nailed it!

9. Mys liv och hem commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 9:55pm

I agree.She has a beutyful home and takes wonderful pictures and YES I would move in for sure :)

10. Rachel commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 11:12pm

It is so lovely, full of charm and personality.

11. moline commented
    January 22nd, 2008 at 11:15pm

Absolutely fabulous. love the mixture. Added her to my blog people list immediately. Everything looks so effortlessly chic. it is clean and simple and a bit minimalistic but has so much vintage and shabby chic charme. What a wonderful balance!

12. TJ commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 1:38am

It loks like your typical swedish home. It’s neat and white. It doesn’t wow me,that’s all I have seen since blogs became popular. There are homes in the states that are GORGEOUS!

13. 2bjane commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 2:35am

tj,

No offense to you but most blogs and magazines here in American are saturated in either contemporary, mid century modern, or that over the top design like Domino and all their rich socialite homes. I’m completely gagging over what’s considered in vogue here lately. It’s all so tired and boring and when I read Domino lately it’s like half the homes look like a place my grandmother would be really keen on, in Floria.

jane

14. Marisa and Creative Thursday commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 2:57am

Oh of course I love this. It reminds me of Germany. And I have to say I agree a bit with Jane, above. Lately I am so very bored with American fashion and home design. I can’t put my finger on exactly what it is that is so different, and appealing with European design. Maybe it just feels more authentic, and graciously lived in instead of consumer oriented and “plastic”. Also our version of clean, “modern” design is sooooo COLD.
    Thank you for sharing these!! :) I’m inspired again!

15. Uncle Beefy commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 3:14am

I really like the place. I myself am inexplicably drawn to color but love to look at pared down palettes like this one…so calming. The Scandinavians got it goin’ on! Truth be told I could have 3 or 4 houses to appeal to all my aesthetic drives! Particularly like the “studio” pics as I am in the process of redoing mine…very inspiring!

16. Jennifer R. commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 4:12am

these are great shots….i really LOVE the work station…wonder where they got it from???? I’m really looking for something similar..

Jen Ramos
    ‘100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards’

17. Alicia commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 4:30am

Is Mari on flickr? I love to favorite all these amazing photos!

18. skyemermaid commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 4:42am

i would move in but i’d either (1) leave my kids behind in our old house, or (2) stain the white floors something darker.

19. Anonymous commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 5:18am

Wow! What a sweet home. I’d love to move in…and the bedspread is even better. Just feel like spending a nice holiday with my better half..

Regards

Kartik
    Fashion Evangelist
    We Blog at http://www.fashionnetworking.blogspot.com

20. marie commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 8:02am

this and the last post are so so lovely! merci!

21. Swedish commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 10:06am

This home is just wonderful! I could move in at once…

Having a large wooden sofa or a bench in the kitchen is a very old Swedish tradition. In the old days the maid or the children slept in the sofa (It is possible to open the seating/lid and make a bed).

22. mondo cherry commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 10:09am

Beautiful, relaxing house – stylish with just the right amount of ‘stuff’. I have stumbled across your blog just recently am enjoying catching up on what I have been missing. Thanks!

23. Coloribus commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 10:33am

I like much the simplicity and the elegance of the white, here a link to see 2 pages of an old number of the French magazine : Le magazine de la Maison (“the newspaper of the house”).

24. Liss commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 2:52pm

So many gorgeous pictures! She has done a great job with this.

…BTW, I’m new to your blog, and I love it!

25. Liz Cadorette commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 3:06pm

I LOVE the tall pine desk and chair — my husband and I are already trying to figure out how to make it for ourselves. Wonderful!

26. Cher Ami commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 4:14pm

she has a great workspace!

27. DecorKJG commented
    January 23rd, 2008 at 6:22pm

The bedroom is perfect!!! its bright and cheery. The chandelier is so whimsical. Everything fits together so well! And I also love the lights around the mirror behind the table and chairs! Way to go.

28. Kennedy & Friends Co. commented
    January 24th, 2008 at 1:49am

love it…i wish my house was this orgazined!!!!

29. an angel at my table commented
    January 24th, 2008 at 9:32pm

Thank you decor8! I am honored to be mentioned here chez toi! And how much fun with all the people that’s moving in with us!!!!

Thanks all for the kind words!

Mari

An angel at my table

30. suzannemarques commented
    January 26th, 2008 at 9:13am

i wanna move in! wowowowowoowowza.
    i wish i were a photographer too so my home would look even more spectacular. this home is gorgeous

31. Anonymous commented
    January 28th, 2008 at 3:36am

Hello,

love this space!

Anyone know where to get that fabulous shoe rack in the states? I have so many magazines I would love to display on one.

32. Anonymous commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 3:50am

ACK I need a chair like that one at the IKEA countertop. WHERE TO FIND ONE?!

33. Minna commented
    March 9th, 2008 at 3:45pm

First – what a wonderful blog you have. I’m impressed of all the info you’ve gathered here. Wonderful source, thank you! Secondly – yes, I agree that maris house is so fantastic! She takes really good pictures, I love the light in her photos. See you soon again! Minna : )

34. Cammy commented
    September 14th, 2008 at 5:37pm

Very typical colour scheme of many places in Scandinavia, bar the checkered floor for homes. Nice but nothing unusual for northern europe.

35. ebbsingen commented
    October 20th, 2008 at 5:32pm

the link photographer above goes to wrong webpage please see Maris webpage here http://www.marifotografi.se/home.html