Objects

Oliveira Textile {eco-friendly}

January 24, 2008

I don’t talk a lot about the environment because I’m a big believer in practicing what you preach and since I’m not living the most eco-responsible lifestyle, I lay a bit low on the topic. I did start to recycle this year by donating a lot of clothing and misc. home decor items to charity, and I started to buy only organic meats and produce so even though my grocery bill is like $5,000 a week and I risk losing my home, car, and life savings all in the name of $30 per pound oranges, at least I’m helping out. That’s a good start, right? In addition to those things, another one of my goals for the year is to source for more eco-friendly products that I can share with you from time to time so that at least we can have options. Green ones. And having options is always good.

Oliveira Textile {eco-friendly}
Rhode Island-based twins Deborah and Dawn launched Oliveira Textiles, an eco-responsible textile company, after a bout of illness in the family got them thinking more about how toxins in the environment affect our health. (Some of the most successful companies rise from tough times.) Dawn spent 22 years in New York designing fashion and home textiles with an impressive client list that includes Ralph Lauren, Stark Fabric, and Emanuel Ungaro but now that she’s back in Rhode Island with her sister Deborah by her side, the focus is on their recently launched brand and their premiere Ocean Collection, a tribute to their coastal upbringing.

With fabrics made of sustainable hemp and organic cotton and printed using only water-based pigment dyes, they found a mill willing to work with them, resulting in both eco-friendly and beautiful textiles. Anemone in red coral would make beautiful drapes and I picture Wavelength in ultramarine as cushion covers on a three-season porch. Sure, it may take a lot to develop products that fit such strict requirements, but if part of your new year’s resolution is to shop for more green home items, then your support of companies like Oliveria can make their hard work worth it and your resolution a lot easier to stick to.

Oliveira Textile {eco-friendly}
Looking for more sustainable textiles? Visit Boston locals over at Mod Green Pod or click on the word ‘eco-friendly’ below to view green products that we’ve covered on decor8 previously. For additional products and tips on going green, please visit some of my favorite eco-bloggers: EcoFabulous, Ideal Bite, Treehugger, and Pure Style Living.

(images from oliveira)

9 Comments

• Reply erika January 24, 2008 at 4:41 pm

these are FABULOUS! what an awesome find! thanks so much for sharing, about to contact them for some samples!

• Reply Kristi @ Addicted*2*Decor January 24, 2008 at 5:19 pm

These fabrics are great…but I’m still laughing at your “$30 per pound oranges” comment. Yes, organic is so expensive! I applaud your steps at earth-friendly living. I’m trying to take baby steps as well.

• Reply Helena/Lisboa January 24, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Firstly, let me say that I like to read your blog very much. It’s very interesting. Congratulations!

Do you know that “Oliveira” is a portuguese family name and it means “olive tree” ?

• Reply Jessica Marie January 24, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! I’m generally a junk-market girl, but sometimes, when I want something new, it’s really hard to find eco-friendly options that are not patchwork or boring. I can’t wait to see more eco-friendly findings.

• Reply Turquoise January 24, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Holly, these are wonderful!

Please continue to share your eco finds!
    v.

• Reply <a href="http://www.oliveiratextiles.com/"><b>Oliveira Textiles</b></a> January 25, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Holly Becker..
    I just, through ‘word of mouth’ saw this article about our company, OLIVEIRA TEXTILES on your blog today!
    Thank you, thank you….very much for featuring us. What a nice surprise. And congratulations on your fabulous Boston Globe Living Art feature! Cheers!
    And here’s to a very GREEN 2008!
    With warmest regards,
    Dawn Oliveira
    Deborah Oliveira-Olson
    (and yes, we are Portugeuse – 100%)

• Reply Kelly January 25, 2008 at 4:27 pm

these are lovely prints. i have a chair i need to recover – i wonder if they come in anything more heavy-duty?

• Reply Jennifer Ramos January 26, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Hey there, I’d like to say thanks to you for even bringing up the earth friendly talk at all even if its admitting that you are not the most eco friendly type….yet. I admire y our honesty. I also am glad that you are trying to do something at least by RECYCLING…there are many people that dont even do that. So good for you. I;m not 100% green, and I dont know anyone who is yet, but we should all do what we can, whether its buying organic products, recycling, saving energy etc. If you’re not green in one section of your life , offset it by being green in another aspect of your life. I do as much as i can in my own home, and of course wish i could afford a complete solar panel roof,…etc. It can get expensive. BUt little by little you will get there. My next thing is to get a hybrid suv…when my lease is up on my car.

All the best,

Jen Ramos
    ‘100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards’

• Reply Anonymous January 29, 2008 at 9:26 pm

There is a really great article in Design New England magazine about Oliveira textiles this month, too! They must be doing something right…