Dolan Geiman {artist}

There’s nothing as exciting as finding beautiful art that is also affordable and installing that first piece on your wall. Okay, there are things more exciting, but when it comes to interiors I think art has to be my favorite thing to shop for. Because of this I’m frequently asked how to start a good collection. My advice is to frequent art school student shows, visit open gallery events in either the South End or Fort Point Channel (or other neighborhoods with artists’ lofts that are open to the public a few times each year), and for those looking for immediate gratification, I send them over to Etsy. You find just about everything there from rising stars to art world celebs and in general, the prices are always affordable and if they’re not, sellers usually offer alternatives to original works like reproduction pieces and high quality prints.

Would you like to meet an artist with a range of prices to suit every budget who also has some great work fresh in his etsy store? Good because Ali Walsh recently wrote in about her partner’s work, Virginia native and mixed media artist Dolan Geiman who creates
Contemporary Art with a Southern Accent? and may I add, lots of it. He’s quite prolific!

Ali enthusiastically told me all about what Dolan has been creating lately in his Chicago studio, like a limited edition wood assemblage series called Valentine Lovebirds available exclusively at Sacred Art in Chicago during the month of February. She also showed me some of his latest works over in his etsy store, where I found this limited edition print featuring dogs for only $45 that I really like. My favorite is this birdie box print, a limited edition reproduction of an original that I’d love to install over my bed.

Yes, shown together this art can appear a bit “busy”. But try to imagine your favorite piece installed over your entry table with a lamp that coordinates with one of the colors in the work, or against a boring wall in your home, over a fireplace, or for fun, in your office because work has to involve something playful sometime.

Thank you Ali for writing to me, and Dolan your work is awesome. I first saw it over on Victoria’s blog but when you wrote to me asking that I highlight it here, I couldn’t refuse so thank you for sending it over.

(images from dolan geiman)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, shopping, travel on January 25, 2008

1. dc commented
    January 26th, 2008 at 4:13am

Wow, this work is kick-ass. Still a bit out of my price range, but kick-ass none the less.

2. Gis commented
    January 26th, 2008 at 2:14pm

Amazing art, I probably can’t afford any of it, but it looks incredible!

3. kelly commented
    January 26th, 2008 at 5:23pm

these are gorgeous, and love the display shot. very helpful. i am going be doing some festivals coming up and that helps to see some hanging and display options!

you do such a grand job with this site!

peace….

4. Melanie commented
    January 26th, 2008 at 11:42pm

His work is amazing! Very inspiring.

5. Linsey commented
    January 28th, 2008 at 1:51am

I own that “birdie print” and I love, love, love it! It was given to me by some of my favorite people in the world. I also own one of two motorcycles. I love the pieces, but the artist is really nice as well. Quite a combo!

Thanks for highlighting Dolan!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks