Fun Fabric Idea

Want to take fabric (or pretty paper) and give it a whole new purpose? How about applying it to the front of a dresser as shown here in 101 woonideeen magazine date November ’07? I’ve had this on my inspiration board for a few months, I’m dying to pick up a piece like this and experiment with some fabric and spray adhesive.

I’d also like to try cutting out floral patterns from fabric, stitching the edges, and doing some furniture applique work… Maybe apply a floral cutout up the side of a cabinet in an entryway for instance. Imagine painting a dresser like the one shown above in red lacquer or teal and then up one side, apply a large floral motif cut from fabric? Wouldn’t that be wonderful? Maybe only to me because I’m a little left of center sometimes, but I think it would look great.

I’d like to start collecting issues of 101 woonideeen but cannot find them in the states. It’s the best magazine ever, and I do mean ever. Even better than Livingetc and Elle Decoration because the things featured are so attainable, it’s packed with DIY projects that don’t involve Chex cereal boxes, pipe cleaners, or tin cans but really chic things that give you a chance to put on your pink toolbelt and have some fun. I wish we had a magazine just like it here – we really need something like this. Badly.

(image from 101 woonideeen.)

Posted by decor8 in diy, furniture, textiles on January 30, 2008

1. Chickengirl commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 2:02am

I have a dresser i am thinking about throwing out but after looking at this, maybe I can pretty it up with some fabric! Was there some directions in the magazine that you could share? Literally just some fabric and spray adhersive, or is there some special preparations I need to take? Any advice would be appreciated, or its going to be a mess over here!

2. We Are Not Martha commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 2:22am

Oooh oooh another fabulous idea!! And now I totally want to read that magazine :)

3. kayte commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 3:52am

i did a project like this on the wall in my bathroom. for a cool and easily removable “faux” wallpaper, all you have to do is cut out motifs from a piece of fabric coat them in spray starch and use a brayer to secure them to the wall. i’ve had it up for a few months and no signs of the fabric peeling off!

4. Hollabee commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 4:22am

great idea…time to dig into my fabric stash..thanks for the link too…I’m dutch but never thought of visiting dutch websites for the coolest ideas ;)

5. Sarita commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 8:38am

I’m going to Amsterdam this weekend – do you want me to pick you up a copy of the magazine if I come across it?

I can send it off to you when I get back – or actually my mom is coming to visit from Vermont so I could send it back with her and then she could send it over to NH.

Either way – its only a magazine and it is cheap to ship and I would be happy to find it for you!

6. Freshly Found commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 9:13am

A really inspiring sight too. I love the diy section

7. javiza commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 1:15pm

the starch idea works very well, i lined the drawers of an old dresser and cabinet with fabric and it has adhered for years!! i’m sure it would work on the outside vertical planes as well—use liquid starch to soak the material, wring it out and press it on, flattening it as you go. it doesn’t change the material in any way as far as color etc…..dries clear and if you want to change it, i think it will peel off w/ a little effort. good luck!

8. Jana Souza commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 3:20pm

I absolutely love this; I also love your writeup and the idea of lacquer; I love those pieces I see and Kneedler that are over the top expensive in the warm lacquer finishes that almost look burnt on the edges—so incredible, and the colors you mentioned—I love both; I might just have to find a thrift piece and give it a whirl; not sure how to seal the fabric once it is adhered so it won’t muddy over time; I am practical that way—plus I have two lil ones under 3. Thanks so much—you inspire me.

jana

9. Sharon Vos fotografie commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 3:32pm

I live in the Netherlands, so if you want a 101 woonideen, I can buy one for you and send it. You can always email my sharonvosfotografie [at] live [dot] nl

If someone else is intrested they can also email me :)

10. Anonymous commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 3:32pm

your wall looks beautiful Kayte, very nice!

11. TexanNewYorker commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 4:53pm

I used spray adhesive for three different projects in my apartment, two of which involved papering. I papered cabinet fronts: http://texannewyorker.wordpress.com/2007/08/09/assisted-underground-design/
    and also papered my dresser drawers:

12. Magpie Designs commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 6:50pm

We did have a magazine here like that… RIP Blueprint Magazine, RIP.

Sniff.

13. vli commented
    February 7th, 2008 at 8:07am

We also love the magazine 101 Woonideeen; great ideas! Via family in Holland we succeeded in having a subscription on this magazine. If you are interested, you can mail:
    customercare2elijn@