Inspired by…

January 30, 2008

May I show you a collection of things that have inspired me today? I think you’ll spot a theme here – Spring Pastels!

Inspired by...
This new painting called Dahlias in a Row is by Marisa Haedike and it is lovely. I’m inspired that Marisa is showing us her talent with flowers, I had no idea since I’ve only seen her cute character paintings. It’s exciting to see her range. The colors are splendid and give me a definite feeling of Spring here in rainy New Hampshire today.

Did you notice the new blog of the week in the left column today? That’s another artist that I am inspired by who is also experimenting in uncharted waters, going outside of her comfort zone to show us other hidden gems.

Inspired by...
I adore these lanterns from Orike Muth (this post is to blame), a girly sofa with a tight back from Lee Industries, slice of lemon heels from Anthropologie along with the Coqo floral rug a pretty photo album, and the weston trunk from Pottery Barn. And they all just happen to coordinate, I can see these sharing space in a home and because they’re so versatile, you can move them around and experiment with them in different parts of your home.

I’ve always liked the idea of a wooden trunk used as a coffee table, in an entryway, or at the foot of the bed. I’d have a hard time keeping my hands off of it though, I’d love to do something creative to it. Maybe fit a piece of glass on the top and beneath it, display vintage photos. Or decoupage the top with huge flowers or some really loud wallpaper. It would be fun to use stencils and on each side of the trunk in the middle stencil in light gray a few letters that mean something to you. Married on June 19, 1998? Stencil 06 on the front, 19 on the side, 19 on the other side, and 98 on the 4th side. Another idea — have a little fun by mixing half clear glaze with half pale pastel acrylic (light gray or green? pink?) and using a brush, lightly paint over the entire trunk to give it a wash of color. You can make a cushion to fit on the top and use it in the entry to store your boots and to sit on to lace them up, or you can take a trunk and line it with wallpaper so that when you open it – surprise – it’s really pretty and girly inside.

(images shown are linked above)

You Might Also Like

• Reply DecorKJG January 30, 2008 at 6:33 pm

I need to purchase that cogo floral rug. I love how the color is so cheery and the pattern can be a classic staple in your house!

• Reply Marisa and Creative Thursday January 30, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Oh ~ thank you for sharing this one Holly!
    By showing it displayed over the sofa, you’ve inspired me to make it available as a large print :)

• Reply Rachel Mallon January 30, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Wow! This is a lot like what I do on my blog. Very inspirational, thank you.

• Reply decor8 January 30, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Yay Marisa! :)
    Rachel – Hi and thanks for stopping by, what is your blog name, I’d love to see some of your inspirations!

• Reply Rachel Mallon January 30, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Thanks for your quick response. Our blog is and our Inspiration Friday postings are really similar to this posting. I guess interior designers think alike. :) Take care.

• Reply decor8 January 30, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Thank you for giving me your blog link, I’ll have to check it out. Designers use mood boards frequently so you’re right, we all use them. Have you ever looked through all the entries from a few of our decor8 mood board contests? You may find these very inspirational for your Friday posts.

• Reply Rachel Mallon January 30, 2008 at 9:15 pm

• Reply anita January 30, 2008 at 10:34 pm

I absolutely love Marissa’s flower painting…fresh & feminine…great pick!

• Reply Anonymous January 31, 2008 at 4:05 am

oh joy has been doing this for a while now, then recently design*sponge,hmmm very interesting.

• Reply decor8 January 31, 2008 at 4:08 am

anon – creature comforts does this too. it’s all so inspiring because each of us has a different and refreshing perspective to give because we’re all showing completely different things. i am considering making this a weekly feature on decor8 but haven’t yet decided…

it would be GREAT if all design bloggers pulled together and did an inspiration friday or something where they post what is inspiring them on that day. maybe i should organize that.

• Reply Kristin January 31, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Just the right dose of spring I needed on a day where they’re forecasting 3-6″ of snow!

• Reply evaki February 1, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Very good idea
    to collage all nice things for a room or colours together.
    I made a blog
    i am a civil engineer and i can help in decorating or construction problems.