Home

Pantone Color Forecast {Spring + Fall ’08}

February 1, 2008

Many know about Pantone, the mega color standards company who unveils color forecasts for each season — today their Fall ’08 forecast was released to the public on their website. I always download mine and print it out in color so it’s handy. It’s important for all designers to preview the next it colors – from interiors to fashion, product, and beyond.

Pantone Color Forecast {Spring + Fall '08} Spring ’08 Palette.
“Refreshing splashes of invigorating brights punctuate classic, versatile neutrals as designers offer a playful spring palette for endless exploration and creative combinations. Variations on popular colors such as energizing red, cool, waterborne blue and eco-friendly greens also play a key role this season.” – Pantone

Pantone scours advertising, magazines, movies, websites, and other facets of pop culture to unearth color cues, even surveys of socio-economic trends, art exhibits, and considering even the state of the global economy. After intense research and analysis, they sell colors to clients a few years in advance and then poll them to discern popular choices so they can then produce color planning guides that influence the multitudes. I walked around for years thinking these trends just happened for no reason at all. But oh no, everything is calculated. That’s why it’s critical for you to know what the color forecast is for each season because then you can use it as a guide in your design in order to stay current.

Pantone Color Forecast {Spring + Fall '08} Fall ’08 Palette.
“Best described as a season of change, fall ?08 is defined by rich, elegant hues that offer a vibrant selection. New York’s fashion designers emphasize cooler blues, greens and purples in the top five tones used in their collections, followed by variations of warm red, orange and yellow.” – Pantone

Here are the Fall ’08 color trends in fashion. These trends are mirrored in home design, too. Here’s the Spring forecast in case you missed it. Now when you browse current magazines and catalogs you can look for these colors.
(images from pantone)

15 Comments

• Reply Anonymous February 1, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Hello,

I’m a new reader to your BLOG just love it ! a lot of info.I’m in interior designer form canada, and you are doing a super job !!! I have a question for you, How can I get the same set up for your colors ? from pantome ? I went to the WEB page but it seem to be a 33 pages ? did you di it your self ?

Thank’ for your response.

• Reply fanfromesva February 1, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Whoo…is it just me or do their picks for spring and fall look a bit muddy? Maybe it’s the weather playing tricks on me.

• Reply kelly February 1, 2008 at 7:43 pm

…does anyone think it’s funny that pantone is releasing their color “forecasts” for seasons that most companies have already designed? not to sound like a negative nancy, but spring 08 is already in stores… it doesn’t really seem like a “forecast”. more like a recap! it would be REALLY interesting for them to forecast spring and fall 09!

• Reply decor8 February 1, 2008 at 7:48 pm

From my understanding, Pantone releases these way in advance to the trend setters – we’re talking a few years – to big time designers, magazines, etc. Most of us don’t tap into this stuff until a few seasons in advance — usually the Fall palette is released to the public two seasons in advance.

• Reply kelly February 1, 2008 at 7:50 pm

ah! well then, that’s a horse of a different color! (pun intended!)

• Reply decor8 February 1, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Oh and sorry Kelly, but I should add that they release to the public FREE of charge a few months in advance, but if you want to purchase the forecasts in advance you can – that’s what large companies do. For instance, this book for 2009 is $750- and contains all the colors forecasted for Spring/Summer ’09. http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=685&ca=4

• Reply paola February 2, 2008 at 1:53 am

I really, really don’t like the Fall colours.

Do you know if the colours get released worldwide? It’s just that I’ve been noticing such a very different colour palette between the US and Europe and wondered if Pantone catered to different regions.

• Reply boliyou February 2, 2008 at 2:09 am

This is really helpful information for a novice designer/blogger. Thanks very much!

• Reply decor8 February 2, 2008 at 2:39 pm

bloliyou – when did you get started as a blogger?

• Reply ~E February 2, 2008 at 2:56 pm

I love this blog! So much inspiration! Thanks for putting in so much time and effort into writing it. I too am excited about the color forecast. I haven’t been fond of the past couple. These look like colors I can live with.

• Reply Kerry February 3, 2008 at 12:06 am

I’m such a fall girl. I was drooling over the drawings. We’re not even out of winter and I’m already fantasizing about new fall tights and cozy new sweater. yum!

• Reply T February 3, 2008 at 3:36 pm

There are MANY different color and trend forecasting companies that provide their color predictions on womenswear, menswear, childrenswear, interiors, hard goods, etc. Pantone is just one of them.
    Because a lot of designers use Pantone #’s as their color standard, they can tally the most ordered colors and communicate those Pantone #’s for the season (in this case Sp 08 and Fall 08). The palette is not necessarily one that would be used in totality together. Make sense?
    All color forecasts are usually bought in advance of the actual season. The trend companies provide many different palettes and trends forecasts for companies to work with. Trend companies are currently selling Spring 09 and Fall 09. Depending on your market (European vs. American or Womenswear vs. Interior) you will prefer one trend companies report over another.

• Reply Rachel February 4, 2008 at 1:55 pm

t’s comment is right on the mark. i didn’t realize they could tally color orders, but that makes perfect sense. There are many forecasting companies and organizations that predict trend colors. Pantone has been angling to take over the American color-world for quite some time now. IMO, I find that they have their hands in a lot of pots, and this might be a bit of a stretch for them.

• Reply jaime March 3, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Oh i love the spring colors – very refreshing. i have already started to see that yellow everywhere. like big daisies!