Color Inspiration, Decorating Tips, Inspiration

Color Me Monday: Grassy Green

February 4, 2008

Fresh, energetic, natural, productive, green! Green has long been associated with many positives. It can mean brand new or renewed. Maybe you have a green thumb meaning that you’re good with plants. Green is also another word for cash so when you have a little extra green in your wallet that’s a positive. Going green is equally good, it means you’ve decided to live in a way that benefits the environment. And think back on some of our favorite childhood characters. Who didn’t like Mr. Green Jeans and Kermit? Still not sold on the color green? Watch this video. :)

Color Me Monday: Grassy GreenMarimekko fabrics for Spring ’08.

From a cultural perspective, green is the color of Ireland and the traditional color of Islam because it’s a sacred color there. On the flipside, it also calls to mind a few negatives, poison for one. Remember Mr. Yuk stickers? It can also point to a lack of experience, jealousy or being green with envy. When I think of grassy green, I think of Ireland and Kate Spade. What about you? I’ve been thinking a lot about this color over the past few days and I’ve decided that it will forever be a positive color in my eyes and when it comes to the best rooms for it, I prefer seeing it in the bedroom, office, or bathroom. Here are a few of my favorite finds that may whet your appetite for this fresh Springtime hue!

Color Me Monday: Grassy GreenSome of my favorite green finds for the home: Mariette pillow and the Inanda pillow both via Anthropologie, sowa salt + pepper shakers, STAACH Cain collection slatted bench, perry street frame from Kate Spade, and trellis green wallpaper fom Ballard Designs.

Color Me Monday: Grassy GreenOther fun finds: Stella lamp, Lucy frame and alarm clock all from Pottery Barn. A lamp like this would look great on a lacquered white desk or console. I love the idea of green in an office because it gives me feelings of energy, calm, and balance. It’s particularly nice mixed with white and violet or turquoise.

Color Me Monday: Grassy GreenAnd when it comes to paint, isn’t this Benjamin Moore stem green 2029-40 just beautiful on the walls?

Color Me Monday: Grassy GreenGreat dining room via Western Interiors magazine. Would you like to see more inspiring rooms in this color? Click here.

(images linked above)

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply reclaimingmisshavisham February 5, 2008 at 3:42 am

Is green the new yellow? Can we all make green rooms now? I loved seeing what people pulled together!

• Reply ToKissTheCook February 5, 2008 at 4:35 am

I just found you by way of Whipped (Chicago Baking Blog) and am THRILLED with everything!! Can’t wait to dig further into the archives but I’m a green girl and this seemed like an appropriate place to start.

• Reply marie February 5, 2008 at 5:41 am

i love the moss colour!

• Reply RuthDFW February 5, 2008 at 5:43 am

Despite the fact I am leaving with horrible green walls – and nope it is not my favorite color – I must admit I am sort of feeling this pale green bathroom.

• Reply juliette February 5, 2008 at 7:52 am

love it – and was loving Heather Bailey’s (Fresh Cut fabric) recent post on her studio’s grass-green chandelier too – check it out: http://tinyurl.com/36c3mt

• Reply Rachel February 5, 2008 at 1:47 pm

You’re too cute- I Love that Kermit the Frog song! great tid-bits on green.

But here’s a question for everyone: with all these companies becoming environmentally- friendly,and advertising themselves as such by using the signifier green, how do we avoid being over-saturated by the color? i fear the literal translation will result in a major backlash…

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente February 5, 2008 at 2:00 pm

I just love this color….I was just noticing how I seem to be accumulating more and more of this happy green in my home…it is cheerful and lovely to me. Thanks for the inspiration,Holly!
    xo
    Melissa

• Reply Molly February 5, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I’m loving all this green! My mother’s decorating philosophy was “when in doubt, choose green”, so I rejected it for many years, but over the past few years I’ve incorporated a lot of green into my home and business. Mom was right again.

• Reply Cher Ami February 5, 2008 at 3:20 pm

that tree pattern is so so pretty. I am ready for green, there’s nothing but snow all over the place right now!

• Reply G February 5, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Green is a favorite, as is your blog so those are two positive associations right there :)

This reminds me of collecting little rocks in the surf out in Montauk on Long Island and the mantra is “can’t leave a greeney.”

• Reply Susie February 5, 2008 at 5:01 pm

I am a big fan of green (and Kermit the Frog). But especially when it’s next to white and pink. My dream bedroom.

• Reply Andrea February 5, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Hey I bought the Lucy Alarm Clock and I love it. I did, however, buy the blue one. My bedroom walls are greenish and it would have been I think too “matchy”.

• Reply sunny February 5, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Does anyone know where those lovely green chairs from the last pic are from? I am in love with them.

• Reply ribbon house February 5, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I’m so happy you did a post on green! I’ve been green-obsessed for years. Behr’s Happy Camper green has been on my bedroom walls for 4 years now and I don’t plan on changing it anytime soon. It’s perfectly beautiful and surprisingly easy to decorate with. When the sunlight hits it my room glows. Ballard has stunned me again, love that trellis wallpaper!

• Reply Jude February 5, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Fresh . . . clean . . . green! It’s one of my favorites and I’m definitely sold! Thought you might like to see the Appletini Green I chose for my den, including how a couple of Irene Suchocki and Alicia Bock prints look residing upon the walls.

• Reply Alicia P. February 5, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Wow, HOlly, so much beautiful stuff — it’s been too long since I had time to peruse here. You are amazing. Everything is so beautiful.

• Reply SimplyGrove February 5, 2008 at 7:21 pm

This is one of my favorite posts… Everything you picked for green works so well! My favs are the slatted bench and the trellis wallpaper…… love it!!!

• Reply reclaimingmisshavisham February 5, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Rachel, I was listening to NPR and they were talking about that very idea. I don’t know if it’s worse here in San Francisco but “green” has become a way to sell a product. Put two products side by side and one of them is more expensive and says “green” on it. Before, one may have hesitated or just grabbed the cheaper one. Now the Al Gore on our shoulder has us getting the “green” product so we can sleep a little better at night. Using the word green doesn’t have legal requirements like “organic” does (to my knowledge) so we don’t really know how much more environmentally friendly anything is nor do I think anyone really considers this when comparing two products.

I’ve digressed…anyways a woman involved somehow in marketing came on the radio program and was talking about how we’ve become desensitized to the word “green” and how it’s losing its meaning. Apparently, 2008 is going to be BLUE.

So I’m calling it, folks. Get ready to be suckered into buying “blue” products. The Earth is blue the water is blue the sky is blue! It makes total sense!

• Reply decor8 February 5, 2008 at 7:44 pm

jude: great work. :)

sunny: try the sundance catalog or design within reach. They are commonly referred to as the Marais chair.

rachel: Coming from a color expert like you, your words are really nice to hear. Thank you.

• Reply Tamms February 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm

oooo! green my favorite!

you had me in mind didn’t you. ;)
    hehe…I love the wallpaper!

• Reply Anonymous February 7, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Anyone know who manufactures the wallpaper? If so pls email me at dagmaral(at)gmail(dotcom)

I’m in canada and the store doesn’t ship here but they won’t tell me who makes the wallpaper.