Justin Bernhaut {Photographer}

One of my goals for decor8 this year is to spotlight more of my favorite photographers because I don’t think most of them get nearly the credit they deserve. I mean c’mon, these are the peeps showing us the world through their lens, their talent is what drives us to purchase some of our most cherished magazines each month. What good would a design magazine be without photos? One photographer that I found through the pages of Domino magazine last year is Justin Bernhaut. Interior photography is very competitive and demanding — one of the greatest challenges is lighting. No doubt working in a confined space, perfect exposure — making sure the color is captured correctly, and of course excellent composition plays a part in the creation of a perfect shot. Justin seems to excel in all of these areas. He’s brilliant.

Remember Domino’s Woodycrest project? Back in January ’07, Domino magazine teamed up with 8 interior designers and several companies who donated their talent and products ($650,000 in donations!) to transform apartments in a 40-unit apartment building in South Bronx for families living with HIV and AIDS. I thought this was the best project ever, I hope they sponsor another one because everyone should have an opportunity to live in a space that makes them feel at peace but also supported on every level. Anyway, Justin photographed all of the rooms for the spread that appeared in the magazine so some of these shots below you may recognize from Woodycrest. If you missed that issue, the slideshow is online here.

If you’re interested in learning more about Justin, he is represented by Anyway Artists in New York City and you can view his portfolio online here. His food photography is not to be missed, I tried to sneak it in some of the collages I’ve arranged above. :)

(images from justin bernhaut for anyway artists)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, walls on February 07, 2008

1. Anonymous commented
    February 7th, 2008 at 7:47pm

i love yellow with passion.
    lovely kitchen.

2. Diana Evans commented
    February 7th, 2008 at 8:15pm

Great post …his work is wonderful and I love the food shots…

Cheers,
    Diana

3. Nay-K commented
    February 7th, 2008 at 8:47pm

wow. great portfolio! and I also like the other porfolios at anyway artists!

4. annechovie commented
    February 7th, 2008 at 9:25pm

Justin’s work is amazing!

5. Diana commented
    February 7th, 2008 at 11:11pm

Truly amazing. As a photographer, I’ve always flipped through magazines like Domino and just marveled at how great the photos are. The challenge of taking such excellent shots in a confined space boggles my mind. I’m glad you’re recognizing Justin!

6. ToKissTheCook commented
    February 7th, 2008 at 11:58pm

#1 That domino issue has a permanent place in my archives for a really innovative, impactful project. I love it. There is no better space or challenge than a small space for a GREAT cause.

#2 Justin is fabulous. Big fan of Eric Piasecki as well. Great tearsheets, btw.

7. minutestar commented
    February 8th, 2008 at 1:05am

Wow – thanks for sharing Justin’s work with us. His work is such a perfection!

8. Jennifer at Design Hole commented
    February 8th, 2008 at 2:16am

This is a great post. I know from personal experience how difficult it is to take good interior shots. Unfortunately, it’s not always affordable to hire a pro to take shots of my projects.

So I’ve got to learn how to do it on my own. It would be wonderful for Justin to write us a post with just a few tips.

Please?

9. Rachel commented
    February 8th, 2008 at 3:06pm

i love that you’re spotlighting photographers. usually, the limelight goes to the designer, or the magazine for which the photos were shot.

So here’s to our unsung heroes who bring us beautiful vignettes from worlds we long to jump head first into!

10. adesignaffair commented
    February 8th, 2008 at 5:06pm

beautiful post! nice images to take me into the weekend. inspiring photos for my re-decoration project.

11. Sharon commented
    February 8th, 2008 at 7:40pm

Hi!
    Marisa from Creative Thursday turned me on to your site. I LOVE it : )
    As a photographer, it is nice to see you showcasing great photography.
    And, thanks for all the great finds!
    Cheers!

12. alice commented
    February 8th, 2008 at 8:22pm

i love these shots. i especially like the green ice cream shot and the white room. it looks so simple and pretty.

13. read me... commented
    February 8th, 2008 at 9:51pm

WOW wonderful photography… clearly he has an amazing eye! Thanks so much for sharing.

14. Michele commented
    February 9th, 2008 at 1:08am

That cupcake is too lovely to eat!