Trends

The Clever Mustache

March 3, 2008

I’ve been watching the sly little mustache sweep through the indie design world for at least a year now which leads me to wondering how this whole ‘disguise’ trend got started as a design motif in the first place? Anyone know?

The Clever Mustache Shown above: cards from elephantine and owl print from hoorah.

I’ve seen it used on pocket mirrors and buttons, wallets and art. Also necklaces, sticker packs and even on posters, throw pillows, rubber stamps and silver stud earrings. This crafty man knitted and framed his own and Mr. Octopus seems to be enjoying his immensely.

Marcel Duchamp drew one on a copy of the Mona Lisa once so is this some kind of modern day take on that? Hmmm. Anyone know?

(images from elephantine and horrah)

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply TonicHome March 3, 2008 at 6:56 pm

That is a very funny trend that I don’t think I’ve noticed before. I’m sure it will develop into “something”. Thanks for the amusing post!

• Reply fad March 3, 2008 at 7:26 pm

it’s a fad, there are always fads, the term “mini trend” is a bit irksome.

• Reply Anonymous March 3, 2008 at 7:38 pm

i love the blah blah wallpaper. would you happen to know who the manufacturer is?

drew

• Reply mara March 3, 2008 at 7:41 pm

i love this! i think i may buy it to hang my jewelry from it.

• Reply freshpinkstyle March 3, 2008 at 7:47 pm

All the hipsters have been wearing mustaches on their faces for the past couple of year around the SF bay area. I guess this look has helped the look trickle down into the design world?

• Reply Mae Jane March 3, 2008 at 11:12 pm

i’ve always secretly wished i could grow a handlebar mustache. but i can’t but darn that’s cute!!

• Reply orange you lucky! March 4, 2008 at 2:15 am

That is so funny! the ‘stash’ is too cute, but what’s gets me even more is the BLAH blah wallpaper:) Super nice!

• Reply ToKissTheCook March 4, 2008 at 3:17 am

Optimistic? Possibly but the mustache is one of the emblems of 826 Chi, also known as the Boring Store (supplies for spies). It’s an awesome awesome organization for kids started by Dave Eggers. Their annual fundraiser, the Moustache-a-thon, is going on now.