Penthouse Living in Los Angeles

Reading through Vanessa’s post, I’m reminded that I seriously need to start taking on design clients again. I really miss working with people in their homes, and it’s taken a bit of a backseat in my life as I’ve been extremely tied up with other things. Plus I have a lot of writing deadlines, and decor8 to maintain, so it’s been a challenge for me to write as much as I do and still maintain everything else in my life. Did you know that my husband and I now have a 2nd home?

I can’t wait to talk to you more about it in the upcoming months. I am officially bi-continental! The gut renovations are complete in our apartment in Germany so between now and July, I’ll start ‘decorating’ it from afar, ordering furniture and accessories online and having things shipped there so we can have things like a bed and a sofa when we arrive later this year. If you’re interested in seeing the apartment and the things I order just let me know and I’ll share that on decor8. We’ll only be staying there a few months each year since our primary residence is in New Hampshire, but to have our own apartment will be worlds better than staying in a hotel suite as we usually do. And if anyone needs a vacation to Hannover, you just may have to ask nicely. :) I’m really close to Berlin and Hamburg and a 45 minute flight to places like Amsterdam and Copenhagen, so it’s a great hub in Europe. So! I’ve had a lot going on in my life over the winter but very soon I want to start taking on client work again and sharing some of it right here on decor8. For now, I’ll share some of Vanessa’s work. She’s my new sidekick out in L.A. who posts on decor8 once weekly. I call Lady V my decor8 west coast connection. Check out this penthouse she designed in Los Feliz.

Penthouse Living in Los Angeles by Vanessa De Vargas

Bordering Hollywood in Los Angeles is an area called Los Feliz. When the movie Swingers came out that featured Vince Vaughn and John Favreau it ended up making Los Feliz a household name. With many bars and clubs like the Dresden Room and The Derby, Los Feliz became a desirable neighborhood in the 90?s for the hipsters of Los Angeles to move to.

As a native to Los Angeles I have seen this side of town go through a huge transformation and was honored when a very busy movie producer asked me to help her consult on a penthouse in the area. She wanted a space that did not feel cluttered, was calm and had room to entertain. She wanted the space to feel like you were either in a New York loft or a modern penthouse in Europe.

The space was transformed into a chic bohemian place where she could display her wonderful eclectic vintage finds, like the chrome and glass coffee table and vintage walnut chairs (in the wallpapered room) which all came from the Pasadena Rose Bowl. The vintage 1960?s entry cabinet she inherited from her grandmother was a perfect fit and the brass sconces located in the living room were purchased from Rewire. We mixed new custom pieces to look old, like the custom leather dining benches and the red bathroom cabinet in her powder room.

The tufted bench against the wallpapered wall came from Lawson-Fenning and the pillow is Jonathan Adler. The tall vintage orange poster was a San Francisco find from a vintage shop on Haight Street. We still have some more work to do and unfortunately the bedroom was not finished in time to post this. I do promise to add those pictures when we are done and hope you enjoy the space, decor8 readers! – Vanessa

(Photos taken by Vanessa De Vargas)

Posted by decor8 in designers, guest bloggers, shopping, travel on March 14, 2008

1. SimplyGrove commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 3:15am

Amazing Space!! I love love the wallpaper and the dining area with those fabulous tufted benches! I also really like the hardware on the kitchen cabinets. Congrats on your new home! I am sure it is going to be gorgeous.

2. Deborah commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 3:50am

HI!
    I was really curious about that wallpaper. Is it really that shiny? It looks like lace applied over a mirror!

3. decor8 commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 4:03am

Deborah, I didn’t design this space but I am almost 100% that it’s wallpaper because my mother installed almost the exact paper in our home in the 1970’s only in gold. It was super shiny, I remember playing in front of it and being able to see myself in the reflection. :)

4. Kristi @ Addicted*2*Decor commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 4:33am

Gorgeous! Love that wallpaper, and the benches are fantastic! And how refreshing to see something other than granite in the kitchen.

5. Bonnie commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 4:44am

Please share some photos of the Hannover apartment and the lovely things you find to put in it. I love your posts on Germany (and everything else!)

Bonnie

6. Liene at Blue Orchid Designs commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 5:35am

congrats on the home in Germany! I’m sure it will be a treat to be able to fully relax in a place that is yours. :)

7. juliette commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 7:24am

As a German resident I would love to see posts on your German home – esp to get ideas I can stash away for our future!

8. Jany commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 8:04am

Great news that you have bough a place in Germany ! Herzlichen Gl?ckwunsch !!
    And, please, it would be great to show it to us, and write about how you proceed to furnish and decorate it !

9. Nicky commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 9:57am

Congrats on becoming bi-continental!! Hopefully we can arrange a get-together someday soon ;)

10. Nay-K commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 11:38am

what a great place!
    thanks for sharing!

11. Baj_Mahal commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 12:39pm

Great space! By the way, Holly I would LOVE to hear more about your new home in Germany! I’ve travelled through Germany a few times and always loved it!

12. Angel commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 1:34pm

Great wallpaper!

13. Emily commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 1:45pm

Vanessa, Who makes that wallpaper? It is gorgeous!!! You did a great job with the space. Thanks!

14. nicole commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 1:58pm

hii decor8, i live in singapore and i absolutely love your’e blog, i recently moved house so i can decorate my room and everything the problem is there is a LACK of furnitrue in singapore, may i PLEASEE know the websites you buy yourfurnitrue from? ireally love you’re style!!!!

15. nicole commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 2:05pm

oohh and pretty bed frames especially thanks you!!!

16. Anonymous commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 2:13pm

This place is amazing, inspiring, beautiful. The homeowner should be very proud!

17. Alia commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 5:40pm

The wallpaper is so beautiful.

18. moodboard commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 6:35pm

Gosh I love the benches, also that wonderful wallpaper. Great home!

19. Julia commented
    March 14th, 2008 at 7:20pm

Congrats on your new place!!! I’m excited for you. As I’ve mentioned before, I grew up in Germany and miss it dearly sometimes. But my family relocated to the US. How about an apartment swap, you can stay in my house in Florida and I’ll stay in your apartment in Germany! Just say when :-)

20. Jen commented
    March 15th, 2008 at 2:17am

Fabulous wallpaper, it’s lovely.

21. Jude commented
    March 16th, 2008 at 4:47pm

Beautiful penthouse. And of course I’d love to see all your upcoming work on the new European abode. Congrats!!

22. So Haute commented
    March 20th, 2008 at 3:18am

WOW…what a fabulous space! I LOVE it! Amazing job Vanessa! And thanks for sharing all of your great resources:-)

23. Marisa and Creative Thursday commented
    March 21st, 2008 at 5:23pm

Yippy!! I’m so excited for you. And yes, yes!! Please share about Hannover. You know I have my bicoastal dreams as well…In the meantime I will live vicariously via decor8 :)
    Gorgeous penthouse, by the way ~ LA has some fantastic places to live!