Bemz {*New Lifestyles*}

Time for a little Bemz-spiration.I’ve talked about Bemz a few times here, they carry slipcovers that fit IKEA sofas and chairs so that you can customize your IKEA finds turning them into something more personalized. They just launched a section on their site called “Lifestyles” where you can view different collections of Bemz’ fabrics in real homes. Seeing some of their fabrics living in a real environment is really helpful. Currently there are 6 Bemz Lifestyles and more will follow later this year.

This is my favorite of all the rooms. I’d have a little more in this space (a rug, a few chairs, etc.), but I really the cool colors and the mixing of florals with stripes in a way that looks very stylish, like a fashion designer would live here.

I found their break down of the various styles they’re trying to mimic helpful since we often try to define our look to friends and don’t know what to call it, there are so many styles and definitions floating around. As I look at these definitions along with the Bemz images I realize that they are based purely from a Scandinavian perspective, as they’re Stockholm-based and this is their own take on these looks. In other words, I don’t think Country Romance or Downtown really looks like the typical country or downtown style that we’d see here in America.

Fun exercise: As you read through their definitions below, examine the images shown as examples and consider how each style would be interpreted in your part of the world.

1. Bohemian Chic - Aimed at people who love combining old and new to add unexpected contrasts to their home. This Lifestyle employs a palette of dark, intimate colors, with elements of brown, mauve, black and pink.

2. Country Romance - Is Bemz’s modern interpretation of a delightful past: elegant and graceful, romantic and playful, while not coming across as cute. Shades of white anchor this Lifestyle, thoughtfully blended with pale pastels, gentle florals and muted checks.

3. Downtown – This look pays tribute to city slickers, people who are energized by the skyscrapers and pulse of a big city. Downtown draws from an urban palette of black, grey and white, combined with discrete patterns and bright accent colors.

4. Nordic Home - Embodies a clean, simple and harmonious backdrop for the changing seasons that can be highlighted with materials such as cushions and curtains. This 5. Lifestyle features some of Bemz’ distinctive Scandinavian patterns.

5. Playground - For those homes where the walls are white and it’s the furniture and art projects that add color. Red, green, orange, blue and black are combined with strong graphic patterns and bold horizontal and vertical stripes.

6. Swedish Grace - Features clean lines, natural shapes and understated tones, inspired by a legacy of classic 50s Scandinavian design.

How would you define your style?

(images from bemz)

Posted by decor8 in diy, furniture, inspiration, textiles on April 04, 2008

1. Incagirl commented
    April 4th, 2008 at 8:22pm

These photos made me wish I had an Ikea sofa. Maybe I should get one just to cover it in one of those delicious colors.

Cusi

2. Janne commented
    April 4th, 2008 at 8:44pm

Good challenge! Being a Scandinavian, I can identify with most of these styles, but I’d say mine is a mix of the last two. I love Ikea and I think Bemz is a brilliant business idea.

I have only bought two sofas in my life (the second one just a couple of weeks ago) and they are both from Ikea.

3. Samantha commented
    April 4th, 2008 at 8:57pm

oh wow, I love those colors and designs. Dreamy.

4. Meg commented
    April 4th, 2008 at 9:03pm

Bohemian Chic w/ just a soupcon of country romance would be ideal.

5. Jennifer Ramos commented
    April 4th, 2008 at 9:43pm

cute designs! hey i have that Stark lamp in the back….love it.

Jen Ramos
    ‘100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

6. Justine commented
    April 4th, 2008 at 11:09pm

You know, I appreciate so many different styles, but country really draws me in. I love the Scandinavian interpretation of country — so clean and fresh! Here in Canada country is either really kitschy (*ugh*) or really rugged.
    I think I’ll have that fresh Scandinavian country style with a dollop of rustic Canadian, thank you. :)

7. Teal Chic commented
    May 21st, 2008 at 4:28pm

Love this!!! The boho chic is so me :)

8. Marjolijn commented
    August 16th, 2008 at 3:04pm

I think my style is a mix of Nordic Home and Country Romance and I’m an Ikea-addict as well! In the future we’ll chose a cozy sofa and some chairs there.

Marjolijns last blog post: Nights in a blue bed